SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

51 minutes ago, Havemercy said:

25 by my count:  Uptown 9 (KJHburg count), Southpark 6 (KJH), Novant Presby 3, Atrium Midtown at Kenilworth 1, Park Road 1, University City 1, Providence Rd 1 (was still there 2 weeks ago), Southend 2 and then Unknown 1 (I see this one way off in the distance from my office in Midtown, looking towards the southwest). 

Could be the new one at Southminster across from South Meck HS. 

7 hours ago, pgsinger said:

Ok...So only permanent cranes count?

I will get a proper South Park count next Tuesday.  

I would think because when we get into those highly mobile cranes they are there a few days and gone.  anyway you cut it we have a lot of cranes around town.  Uptown, south end, midtown, southpark and then a few scattered around town.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I would think because when we get into those highly mobile cranes they are there a few days and gone.  anyway you cut it we have a lot of cranes around town.  Uptown, south end, midtown, southpark and then a few scattered around town.  

There are 4-5 mobile cranes strung along the railway work for gateway. It's an impressive little skyline 

• Like 4

I feel like with apex, and the colony redevelopment, this area is going to start to feel VERY dense.  The height of a lot of these projects isn't much or impressive, but the overall density and layout of a lot of these seem to be well planned. If only SP was more pedestrian friendly, maybe the SP plan will help with that.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sigma said:

I feel like with apex, and the colony redevelopment, this area is going to start to feel VERY dense.  The height of a lot of these projects isn't much or impressive, but the overall density and layout of a lot of these seem to be well planned. If only SP was more pedestrian friendly, maybe the SP plan will help with that.

The nightmare for trying to make SP more pedestrian friendly is you have Sharon and Fairview running right through the heart of it. It is hard to adjust these major transportation arteries, it is completely surrounded by car dependent suburban neighborhoods, and there is a massive shopping mall that customers can only arrive to via car. If we could get rapid bus transport with stations through SP, the area might be able to shift slightly away from auto dependence, but it will certainly become a congested mess in the meantime as development builds up, but infrastructure lags behind. 

I do think a crossing bridge over Sharon and Fairview could be interesting. If somebody lives at the Apex, they likely will drive to the Original Pancake at Sharon Square for example, even though it is a short walk due to the wide intersection at Fairview and Sharon. Solving for this will help prevent these new residents from also being largely car dependent. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 4

Fairview is a river. Three years ago I was looking to move and a breaking point on location was inside that street. Just a  block beyond it was brutal at Christmas and rush hours. Walking was strongly discouraged at any time and any day. Interesting that CLT2014 considers a bridge over Sharon and Fairview which reinforces the river analogy. Highway 51 is another river. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I think what can be done from this project Apex to the mall property itself is more of refugee island in the median as it is wide street and some people may not make it across in one swoop.  We have 3-4 lane streets uptown one way that are very similar.  Also longer lights for the walkers when the button is pushed to cross.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

"refugee island" Face it. Trying to cross on foot is equivalent to fleeing Venezuela:  desperation. I would dub this refugee island the" island of hopelessness". 

actually that is what they call them in Australia you take a zebra crossing to a refugee island LOL that is what a mate would say in the land down under .   

• Haha 1