SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

I didn't really feel that it was that bad. It does seem like it would be awkward living the in the parking lot of a mall but there really isn't any surface parking there anymore. The project is in the corner of Morrison and Sharon with the other directions facing the new Crate & Barrel and the new Dillard's parking deck. It does feel somewhat urban but it certainly wouldn't the residence of my choosing.

Agreed. I live directly behind this project and can truly state that it is an Urban Layout. There is No Surface lots to speak of (except in front of Dillards).

You have the Mall to the Front, Morrocroft to the Back and a couple of neighborhoods that you tower above to your other side. Sharon will only become more Urban as time marches on.

As for actually paying the price to live with a mall as my neighbor, I would not.

A2

• 1 month later...

A2:

How's it going? Met you @ Morehead, just got around to signing up.

Thanks for the invite.

Things are going quite well. I am glad you were able to join in the fun here at UP. I think you will find the site to your liking. With so many things happening in Uptown, you will find this site a step above the rest in keeping you caught up in the continued growth of CLT. (and many other cities around the world for that matter)

Again,

Welcome to Urban Planet!!!

:)

A2

• 3 months later...

What is going up directly accross from Piedmont Town Center? It is right in the middle of the "main" office hub of SouthPark off of Fairview (Two Blocks East of the Fairview Towers). I think a bank branch used to occupy the space, but it is now gone and there is serious grading and construction going on. It almost looks like it is prep work for another office tower.

Any clues???

A2

South Fair Plaza. I recall the specs go something like this.

2 towers 14 stories above 2 levels of shops, plus another couple midrises. 150 room hotel, 685 dwellings total, plus 200k sq feet of shops. I'll try to find the article, Dougie did a NEXT BIG THING article back in 06' so I might not be able to find the whole article.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_km44...10/ai_n17044312

Its a great development plan, I have seen a couple drawings and blue prints. I just don't know what phase it is in as far as financing goes, I haven't heard about it in quite a while.

Edited by Guest

2 towers 14 stories above 2 levels of shops, plus another couple midrises. 150 room hotel, 685 dwellings total, plus 200k sq feet of shops.

I thought that South Fair Project was going behind The Fairview Towers, not beside them, fronting Fairview.

A2

OH? In that case, good question I have no idea, let me bring up the handy google maps and see what you are talking about. It would be great if it was a highrise. Are we talking directly accross fairview?

2 towers 14 stories above 2 levels of shops, plus another couple midrises. 150 room hotel, 685 dwellings total, plus 200k sq feet of shops. I'll try to find the article, Dougie did a NEXT BIG THING article back in 06' so I might not be able to find the whole article.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_km44...10/ai_n17044312

Its a great development plan, I have seen a couple drawings and blue prints. I just don't know what phase it is in as far as financing goes, I haven't heard about it in quite a while.

Yeah, I knew about this one, but this construction is going on in a different place.

Here is what is being mentioned about South Fair Plaza, according to that artcile:

LNR Property Corp. has just disclosed plans for a proposed development of condos, apartments, stores, restaurants and hotel rooms on 10.5 acres behind two office towers in the 6000 and 6100 blocks of Fairview Road.

(Again this current construction I am referring to is next to theFairview Towers facing Fairview)

A2

Edited by A2

OH? In that case, good question I have no idea, let me bring up the handy google maps and see what you are talking about. It would be great if it was a highrise. Are we talking directly accross fairview?

Yep, Directly accross from Brio's in the Piedmont Town Center. :)

A2

Here's what A2 is talking about:

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2006-074.htm

It doesn't look like anything impressive, just a one story retail development. From what I can see, it will be reasonably pedestrian friendly. With this, Piedmont Towne Center and South Fair Plaza we might just have something interesting in that area.

In case anyone is curious, here's the approved plan for SouthFair Plaza next door:

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2006-166.htm

It includes many renderings that I hadn't seen before.

Edited by moonshield

Wow, I am extremely impressed with the layout of South Fair Plaza. I am really digging the towers. I was concerned due to its odd location if it could even work, but now that I have seen this, I think the Fairview Towers will act as a gateway to the project instead of a blocade.

As for the one story development along Fairview, I am not nearly as impressed. I guess that the only real positive is that it is bringing life to the main corridor with some retail and foot traffic that is otherwise missing.

Thanks again moonshield for posting the site plans! :thumbsup:

A2

Edited by A2

I was searching for information on the Whole Foods in Elizabeth and came across this press release dated April 11 2007.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/company/pr_04-11-07.html

The second store, opening in 2009, will be located in the South Park area at Sharon Road and Colony Road and will be similar in size to the Elizabeth Avenue location.

They better start tearing down those apartments if they want that date to work.