SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

It would be the non-highlighted pink building on the right-hand edge of the screen that looks like an L (part of it is cut off). That is, assuming that's the current site plan. I know they've reconfigured the site about 5-6 times, with the seniors building shifting around.

• 3 weeks later...

So I guess I missed this somewhere, but what happened to the Hyatt going condo? I was over in SP yesterday and noticed the Renaissance Hotel logo being placed on the spot that used to say "Hyatt".

Yeah I remember hearing that it was bought by JWM a couple months ago...but wasn't until today's Next Big Thing article where they talk about the Rennasaince Southpark and the renovations they will be making to the property. Personally I am glad it will remain a hotel...and to have a new brand to the Charlotte market is nice too.

Yeah I remember hearing that it was bought by JWM a couple months ago...but wasn't until today's Next Big Thing article where they talk about the Rennasaince Southpark and the renovations they will be making to the property. Personally I am glad it will remain a hotel...and to have a new brand to the Charlotte market is nice too.

I think Renaissance may have a place near the old coliseum is I'm not mistaken.

i am probably wrong but wasnt that hyatt the only hyatt in all of charlotte? so, in my book, we lost a brand

Yes that was their only presence (not counting the recently rebranded ones) in the Charlotte market. Though I see them entering again in the future.

Earlier this week LNR Properties received its Demolition Permits to take down the old Eastern Airlines Reservations building. In its place will be the mixed use development pictured below. This will be going in between and behind the "twin towers" of Southpark along Fairview near the Barkley Downs intersection.

5g-southpark.jpg

Edited by uptownliving

Yuck....this is below par for even SP.

In other SP related news, Ghazi has reduced the height of his tower from 17 to 10 stories, with the ground floor serving as covered parking. There is still a huge surface lot along Fairview, so I have to categorically oppose it.

Yep. In this case shorter isn't better. I'd rather see something with some street frontage and avoid the hideous surface parking. 10 stories on top of 5 levels of parking would do. I guess it's easier to pave a yard than build a deck. It's a shame that we'll be losing more greenery in SP for a surface lot.

On another note, does anyone know what the recently cleared lot on Fairview just before SP mall is for? It's on the right, before you get to Ruth's Cris. It's a small lot, so it can't be anything huge.

One more question...I was told by a friend of mine last fall that Novare had picked a site in SP and would be announcing a plan for a 32 - 35 story tower this Spring. Has anyone heard anything more about Novare's plans for SP? I'm wondering if the change of plans for the 3rd Ward site has diverted their attention for the time-being, or if there were problems securing the site.

Yep. In this case shorter isn't better. I'd rather see something with some street frontage and avoid the hideous surface parking. 10 stories on top of 5 levels of parking would do. I guess it's easier to pave a yard than build a deck. It's a shame that we'll be losing more greenery in SP for a surface lot.

On another note, does anyone know what the recently cleared lot on Fairview just before SP mall is for? It's on the right, before you get to Ruth's Cris. It's a small lot, so it can't be anything huge.

One more question...I was told by a friend of mine last fall that Novare had picked a site in SP and would be announcing a plan for a 32 - 35 story tower this Spring. Has anyone heard anything more about Novare's plans for SP? I'm wondering if the change of plans for the 3rd Ward site has diverted their attention for the time-being, or if there were problems securing the site.

no way a 30+ story tower is approved in southpark. its just not happening. they would have to apply for a height waver and the nimbys would be all over it.

As far as I know, SP doesn't have any height restrictions outside of current zoning. All Novare would have to do is rezone the site, which would, as you mention, bring out the NIMBYs. Perhaps they got push back when someone learned of their plan.

NIMBY or not, South Park will develop a skyline over the 20 years. Land is running out, and projects are going to have to go higher for continued growth.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the LNR Properties development will be visble from fairview or any major street and is that a small tower in the rendering?

(PS will every new building in South Park look this way?)

Here is an article I found about this project. It says that there will be 2 14 story condo towers, 3-4 levels of apartments over ground level retail, and wide sidewalks and bike paths. Not sure how much to believe, but they have almost completely finished with the demolition of the one-story structure. They are now just finishing tearing up the slab.

• 3 weeks later...

More infill along Park Rd:

1)

Signs have been up for a couple weeks on a small infill project along Park Rd at the Park South triangle.

- 13 townhome units where previously there had been 3 SFH sites.

- http://www.thehamptonsatparksouth.com

2)

Just north of the Park/Sharon intersection there are two SFH lots that are being redeveloped into ~10 unit new stub-street developments. No listed websites yet.

I'm not sure how the developers arrived at this [low] level of density - it seems that building more structures like the LNR building at Tyvola/Fairview would bring the density required to have a more livable streetscape for that section of Park Rd rather than just more cars per day along that stretch. Since the Tyvola down to Sharon Rd. West intersection stretch is all residential, lining Park Rd. with mixed use would serve an existing population as well imo. Not to mention that north of Fairview the development of the Pfeiffer site and the refreshing of the run down apartments near Selwyn are helping build a viably dense corridor already.

Edited by nmcheese

I sent Whole Foods a quick e-mail hoping to get some info out of them for the Southpark location. I specifically said that it was Charlotte in the subject and body of the message multiple times and this is what I get back as a reply:

"Thanks for your inquiry regarding our Charleston store in the Southpark area. Unfortunately, I cannot give you a timeline at this point. Please check back on our website for future details and grand opening date."

:blink: Has anyone heard anything further on this development and when work is to begin? I assume folks still live in the Colony Apartments?

• 2 weeks later...