SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

I really like the new Earthfare store :) I have been several times already. The garage parking is very convenient, you can park directly next to the entrance. The stock is not any different from the Btyne store but the space was well designed and the cafe is attractive too with a nice outdoor eating section. The "village" overall is very well done if still quite vacant. I hope the empty spots fill soon because the complex is well suited for sidewalk strolling. The giant rocking chair in the middle of the traffic circle is a cute touch. My only dissapointment concerns the appearance of the Sterling apts. They are supposedly "luxury" units but the building is just a blockish mass with zero character. It reminds me of a Soviet era housing project. And I am not confusing them with the loft condos, they are on the other side of the center and look nice.

Edited by voyager12

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like The Pinnacle, the long-delayed office building at the corner of Morrison and Barclay Downs, is finally moving forward. They did a good bit of site work several years ago, and then stopped. Now it looks like the building will go up, but this time as for-sale office condos, instead of for-lease.

Here is a rendering from a couple of years ago.....I'm assuming it is still the same.

rendering.jpg

I'm almost sad to see this built, it has been a family joke for a couple years now. The delay on this office building seems indicative of how the market in SP has differed greatly from the office markets in Uptown and in Ballantyne.

What do you think the higher vacancy rates in sp mean for future office projects here, this one included?

Edited by BobbyDav

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

The Observer is reporting today about Ghazi's SouthPark 10-story mixed use project. It is being delayed for at least a year due to the slowing economy but is still in the works.

Ghazi is quoted as saying, "we're sitting on the fence waiting out the storm. We are very patient developers, and we want this project to sell out quickly. Right now the project is literally collecting dust. I haven't thought about it at all for the last four months."

• 1 month later...

From yesterday....this is at the old Live Oak public housing site behind the Burger King and Allen Tate building.

The mostly completed building is the senior affordable housing, that I think will accomodate current residents of the Hall House. The building under construction is the mixed-income (mostly "luxury" market rate) apartments. There was some ground floor retail planned at one point along Savings Pl. but I'm not sure if it is still planned.

post-1289-1213909361_thumb.jpg

Here is the next mark sure to increase Charlotte's status as a World Class CIty....a 2 story Barnes & Noble :o

post-1289-1213909451_thumb.jpg

If that surface lot doesn't depress you, then you should see how they completely ignored the corner of Sharon and Colony. :(

Well ya know B&N had to build a collosus to match Fort Borders across the street. When Whole Foods finally materializes on the Colony Apts site it's probably going to be another depressiing silo unto itself. There was another boostericle in this week's O quoting chamber reps crowing about how SouthPark is going to be our Buckhead. Well Atlanta's Buckhead is a congested mess with a few nice touches. Basically, lipstick on a pig Great. can't wait.

• 1 month later...

Holy Crap!

This is proposed as a solar experimental project on Park Rd. near the intersection with Sharon Rd. It will include 12 residential units.

bw_spus2.gif

Where exactly on Park Rd "near Sharon Rd..." The only property that might be large enough to handle something like this near the intersection is now ccupied by a house enveloped by 75 year old oak trees... seems kinda silly to chop down trees to gain solar power

Edited by Bikeguy

It's spiffy that we are getting a solar panel test building as I think Charlotte can really be defined as a city that leads the energy crisis (through the University, Duke and partnered companies, and gov't leadership), but by looking at that sketchup, I don't know what to even think. It looks like a really outdated, poorly designed awkward building. It'd be interesting to see more with some in depth schematics and designs and maybe this can be something more...

Where exactly on Park Rd "near Sharon Rd..." The only property that might be large enough to handle something like this near the intersection is now ccupied by a house enveloped by 75 year old oak trees... seems kinda silly to chop down trees to gain solar power

The site is on the east side of Park Rd. about 1/2 block north of Sharon Rd. The developer currently lives at a house at that address and I believe he is the area distributor of an advanced solar and other enivornmental systems.

This is the house that would be replaced.

P6100828.JPG

It's ridiculouosly out of place, but for some reason I like it :)

Ah, I was wondering when this "project" was going to surface. I really don't see how a multi-unit residential building at that location could possibly have a small carbon footprint.

What are the chances that the necessary rezoning on this land would be successful given it's size and context?

Of course, I guess the developer already has a sterling rapport with city council...... =>

Ah, I was wondering when this "project" was going to surface. I really don't see how a multi-unit residential building at that location could possibly have a small carbon footprint.

What are the chances that the necessary rezoning on this land would be successful given it's size and context?

Of course, I guess the developer already has a sterling rapport with city council...... =>

The developer is the same guy in the video ???

Holy crap !!