SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

The SolarPark project is getting some Observer coverage. Sketch online looks to be similar to what has been posted already.

I can't wait until the October 20th rezoning public hearing. Wonder if there is a helipad on top for rogue helicopter pilots ... and if the famed magnolia tree will have to come down ... :P

Observer article

The SolarPark project is getting some Observer coverage. Sketch online looks to be similar to what has been posted already.

I can't wait until the October 20th rezoning public hearing. Wonder if there is a helipad on top for rogue helicopter pilots ... and if the famed magnolia tree will have to come down ... :P

Observer article

Seems a little out of place at the corner of Park and Sharon....could see this closer to the mall, but that is a very residential area.

• 3 years later...

This thread was a bit hard to find!!!

Here are a couple of new projects seeking new zoning, one that makes sense, and one thats a head scratcher.

Woodfield has been getting serious in the charlotte area and is putting together yet another apartment building in Charlotte. This one on the corner of Carnegie, Morrison and Barclay Downs.

If I remember correctly this was going to be a 6-8 floor office tower about a decade ago. This is one of the many apartment projects being planned in the south park area.

ScreenShot2012-03-19at85554PM.png

The other is hotel indigo??? where the hell did this come from.

It looks to me like a aLoft rip off...

ScreenShot2012-03-19at85828PM.png

Hotel Indigo reminds me of Hotel Sierra (pre-Hyatt House)... I've never stayed in one, but have seen them in San Antonio and Asheville. They look quite nice at least from the outside. Agree with the others that it would be a good fit for Southpark. I can't think of any boutique style hotels there.

• 1 month later...

And yet another Southpark apartment project is in the works. This time a 591 unit building(s) and 480,000 sqft of office space. It will go on the old Maersk site that was vacated when Maersk left for another office site off Arrowwood. The plot of land is 13 acres. The project is being developed by JLB Partners and constructions should start sometime this year, beginning with a demo of the old office building there.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2012/04/27/maersk-site-sold-for-apartments.html

^I don't want to nitpick (but I will anyway). The article actually reports that the _zoning allows_ for 591 units and 480,000 sqft of office space. I don't believe that JBL has released their plans yet and they said their project would be phased.

Despite all that, this will clearly be a big project, even for Southpark.

• 4 months later...

Hopefully, there won't be NIMBYs complaining about added traffic to Colony Road. That's what happened with another recent, similar rezoning case on Barclay Downs.

Gradually, the culture should change, where those of us fortunate enough to live in the most accessible places to jobs, shopping and transit, also accept more growth near our homes. Building up walkable nodes, instead of sprawling out, creates a more resilient and vibrant Charlotte. Such strategy can also maximize existing infrastructure, thereby reducing everyone's future tax bills.

^ What happened to that Barclay rezoning uproar? Is the project still moving ahead or being redesigned? I don't think this Colony project will have the same NIMBY response since its a significantly smaller infill building and isn't right next to any single family homes.

It was approved.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else happen to cacth this. Ashley Park is now being dubbed Sharon Square and the plan is now for 239 apartment units in one five story building and one three story building. Article also goes on the mentions 22,000 square feet of retail.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2012/09/28/pappas-expands-sharon-square.html

• 2 months later...

While just north of the SouthPark neighborhood, there seems to be a new apartment complex coming to the corner of Woodlawn and Park.  Called Park at Drexel, it will include 42 units and 4,500 square feet of commercial space.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/12/14/3726798/apartment-boom-isnt-just-about.html#storylink=misearch

• 5 months later...

I like that they want to go bigger and denser in the future.  Hopefully it comes with a streetcar spur that connects at the Tyvola blue line station.  If only we could have streetcar running down Tyvola/Fairview, turn left onto Sharon followed by another left at Morrison and loop back to Fairview via Barclay Downs. 

• Like 2

If Charlotte is going to grow, it will have to go with more mid-rise and high rises. There is not much land that Charlotte can annex.

It would be nice if we could get private investment for LRT to South Park. I have read that this is being done in some cities.

Edited by RiverwoodCLT

So I live about a mile from the mall, and the new Suntrust regional center is just being thrown up there so quickly.  It will look interesting once its done.  I do agree that there should be some sort of public transit (besides busses) going to the mall area.  In Minneapolis they have just one LRT line but it ends inside the mall of america.  I do realize that MOA is much larger than South Park as I spent 7 hours in the thing and still did not get to see everything, but being that South Park is the largest in NC (and arguably within 250 miles) and retail is so sluggish to catch on uptown, you would think with the influx of people to the South Park area on a daily basis, there would be a big enough need for it.    

Edited by scmarathonman07

I agree 100%, SouthPark is a big enough regional economic draw, both for Business and Retail as well as a large enough population center that there should be rail. I think the obvious choice would be a rail spur off the Blue Line down Tyvola to Fairview, There is certainly enough room in the median of most of fairview and part of tyvola. I would imagine the roadblock would be expanding the road between Londonderry and Farmbrook. Too many easements would have to get purchased, as its a very residential road. Welcome to Urban Planet!

I like that they want to go bigger and denser in the future.  Hopefully it comes with a streetcar spur that connects at the Tyvola blue line station.  If only we could have streetcar running down Tyvola/Fairview, turn left onto Sharon followed by another left at Morrison and loop back to Fairview via Barclay Downs. 

A feeder line from Scaleybark to Woodlawn to Park to Fairview would hit more existing density, and thus, likely spur more infill.

But alas, it's all fantasy anyway, given how the new powers in Raleigh insist on the BLE being the end of rail transit plans.

Why not split the difference and just run it down Woodlawn to Park. Then it has a logical short(ish) run to the old coliseum area, and later to the airport