SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

My favorite part of this project...double-branded limited service and all,suite hotels. Nevermind Charlotte has a very small selection of boutique, full service, and luxury hotels. Nevermind also that Southpark is supposed to be one of the ritziest areas of Charlotte. Now Southpark will get two interstate exit style hotels for the price of one...smh

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 1

My apologies. For some reason I thought that this was in Southpark. Thanks for clearing that up. I also read it, I must skipped over it.

I wish Waverly was in SouthPark. That'd be a great addition. You must have seen the Whole Foods Anchor and assumed it was talking about SP.

My favorite part of this project...double-branded limited service and all,suite hotels. Nevermind Charlotte has a very small selection of boutique, full service, and luxury hotels. Nevermind also that Southpark is supposed to be one of the ritziest areas of Charlotte. Now Southpark will get two interstate exit style hotels for the price of one...smh

Why would a hotel want to compete against the plethora of restaurants in the southpark area?

You build what the people want. My office is in SouthPark and we frequently have out of town guest and they all complain the residence inn is always booked if they wait too long to make reservations. Those type of properties are what business travelers look for. Plus that location doesn't scream "high end".  It backs up to the rear of sharon corners and would front a dry cleaners.

Probably not up to South Park standards but I could see an Aloft working in this spot.  There's one near Eaton HQ in suburban Ohio near where I'm originally from.  If it can work there then it can work in South Park.  Here's the hotel/map of the location.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/alofthotels/property/photos/index.html?propertyID=3874#photo_section_1Link

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

Probably not up to South Park standards but I could see an Aloft working in this spot.  There's one near Eaton HQ in suburban Ohio near where I'm originally from.  If it can work there then it can work in South Park.  Here's the hotel/map of the location.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/alofthotels/property/photos/index.html?propertyID=3874#photo_section_1Link

Aloft and Element are being built together in Boston. That would be a nice addition to SouthPark.   

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/2013/2/18/9941/38303/hotels/Aloft_and_Element_Will_Sit_Side_By_Side_In_South_Boston

Why would a hotel want to compete against the plethora of restaurants in the southpark area?

I travel all the time, and I usually like to go out and get some local flavor from a local restaurant, so I see where you are coming from. But sometimes, when you get to a hotel at 9 or 10pm and are hungry, the hotel restaurant is just the best choice. I don't want to be out until midnight because I have to work the next morning, usually early. A hotel restaurant means I can walk downstairs, get a decent meal, and then go back to my room and sleep. I only use hotel restaurants when I am exhausted and don't feel like trekking out to find a local spot, but it's awesome to have that option when I need it. Plus, hotels make a lot of money with their restaurants. I was in LA for most of this week, and I got French onion soup and a chicken Caesar salad plus two drinks at my hotel one night...$63 with tip. Overpriced? Yes, but convenient and worth it when you are wiped and just need to eat something before going to bed.

For what it's worth, I did check out some local flavor too, when I was well rested, and went to Phillipe The Original...birthplace of the French Dip Sandwich. Sorry to say I've had better French Dip Sandwiches in Charlotte (Mortimer's Big Diaw and 131 Main's Ultimate French Dip), but it was more or less the experience of Phillipe's that made it so cool.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

CO and CBJ report that Lincoln Harris' Capitol Towers are now officially under construction.

Well not quite :under construction" however they did close off Congress this week. This area is quite the construction mess. I work on Carnegie and have a birds eye view. Crescent SouthPark is in the process of adding windows now.  JLB apartments looks like they are very close to doing the same.

These two projects can't get finished soon enough. They regularly block all lanes on Carnegie with little regard for people who still have to work on this road.  Add to it that the curve is a 90 degree blind turn. Fun times. Oh and lets make sure the mexican food truck blocks a whole lane everyday for lunch as well.  /Rant

It will be interesting to see how the JLB apartments lease. The amount of dust and mess that projects create is astounding.  I can't imagine wanting to live in the JLB apartments when there will be two office towers under construction for 18+ months and then another apartment building planned in the other quadrant. Two sides of that apartment complex will face the construction mess for years.  The Crescent one should have no problem filling up and looks to be the nicer location of two, especially with the pond and natural area out back. 

I don't think anyone knows. Target came out saying that they had no knowledge of the project... Then nothing was ever said again.

Someone more creative than me will have to come up with a Patrick Cannon joke.

:) it's nice for the Capitol office buildings to start chugging along. They look nice

I'm glad that never happened if they were comparing it to SoDo in Orlando. While not horrible that project certainly missed the mark in regards to being an urban lifestyle retail complex. It ended up being extremely bland and still had fast food drive-thrus fronting the street. It was sold as a potential catalyst for further dense development for the neighborhood but nothing else ever materialized.

I'm fine if they never build that Target project in SouthPark. That area is a complete cluster as it is now anyways, then throw in this new office project. Last thing SouthPark needs is another "urban retail lifestyle center" or whatever the technical term is used. 

Barclay Downs would literally implode if that Target ever got built. It can't handle the traffic it already has and with 1000+ apartments and two office towers under construction...

However the Park South extension to Carnegie (if it ever gets built) would help alleviate a lot of that traffic mess.

• 4 weeks later...

I just looked at the elevations for the Capital Towers on the Maersk site, and they are going to be SouthPark's new tallest towers, despite being 4 floors shorter than the current tallest. The dome on top are an extra 40 feet tall, bringing it up to 190 feet tall! 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/06/10/4956699/council-slated-to-field-requests.html#.U6dPe8u9KK0

The article above says that the new Southpark hotel will be a luxury hotel. I wonder if they mean luxury in the sense that it is a luxury brand, or if they mean luxury in the same way the word is used to describe new apartment projects.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 1