SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

Still the same terrible service, mediocre food, and old overpriced beers.   :sick:

Couldn't agree more. My friends and I have actually boycotted this place. If you have 6 drinks on your tab, regardless if you consumed them all or not, Taco Mac will close it for you and tell you to leave. No ifs ands or buts. This happened to us earlier this year. Haven't been back since. I'll never give them another dollar. Way too many other better options around town.

Edited by wend28

11331350_64.jpg

SouthPark is really growing quickly.

The density is kind of awesome.  For me, it just reiterates why I avoid this area like the plague!  Maybe if I could afford to live nearby everything and could walk to the grocery store and restaurants, I would have a different opinion.  Way too much congestion for my taste.

None of the rooftops in the lower edge of the photo connect over to the nearby shops. Phillips Place is completely disconnected from the townhouses and apartments along Sharon and Sharonview Roads. And of course, the mall is across a mega, on steroids intersection from it all. As the bird flies, it looks dense, but pity the pedestrian on those suburban arteries and dead-end streets.

Edited by southslider
  • Like 1

None of the rooftops in the lower edge of the photo connect over to the nearby shops. Phillips Place is completely disconnected from the townhouses and apartments along Sharon and Sharonview Roads. And of course, the mall is across a mega, on steroids intersection from it all. As the bird flies, it looks dense, but pity the pedestrian on those suburban arteries and dead-end streets.

When those townhomes were constructed, there was still Section 8 housing where Whole Food is and I am sure they couldn't build the walls big enough. I used to live in the condos just east of Philips Place and there was a lot of petty crime coming from that complex. Enough so that we broke our lease with a neighborhood police report and moved out.

The JLB apartments on Carnegie that are under construction now, was approved for exactly 15,000sf of commerical space. Based on the progress of the building, I would say that is a safe bet.

The original rumor was a TJ in that spot but Reids makes sense as well give the income of the area.

Edited by InSouthPark

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was close! What is odd is that the rezoning plans for the property show the unconnected retails buildings at 7000, 8500, and 9500sf of retail. Not sure where they are going to squeeze in another 3000sf to one of these spots. That is a pretty big chunk or real estate on an already crowded lot.

The parking deck there is going up at breakneck speed but I would be surprised to see a late 2015 opening. It is going to be a construction nightmare unless they can finish two office towers in less than 12 months. Carnegie is a complete disaster zone right now and will only get worse as the office towers go up.

Well I was close! What is odd is that the rezoning plans for the property show the unconnected retails buildings at 7000, 8500, and 9500sf of retail. Not sure where they are going to squeeze in another 3000sf to one of these spots. That is a pretty big chunk or real estate on an already crowded lot.

The parking deck there is going up at breakneck speed but I would be surprised to see a late 2015 opening. It is going to be a construction nightmare unless they can finish two office towers in less than 12 months. Carnegie is a complete disaster zone right now and will only get worse as the office towers go up.

The good news is, the people eventually occupying the apartments won't need an alarm clock for at least 12 months. They will be woken up by the sounds of construction at 7am every morning.

• 2 weeks later...

The Colony Apartments are planned to be redeveloped into 1,100 Apartments, Retail, Office and Hotel space.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/11/exclusive-apartments-offices-retail-hotel-planned.html?ana=e_clt_bn_exclusive&u=11127973264cbda1522149bd7b1e42&t=1415731402&page=2

Edited by rjp212

Where do you get they have scheduled demolition? They are planning to submit a rezoning application, that's all I see. Even the article states construction wouldn't begin until 2016 (if ever). 

i've been waiting for this to happen for the past year and half. Was just telling my wife on Saturday when we were in town that I thought an announcement was imminent. 

http://www.dreambigsouthpark.com/Community-Designed-Community-Center-Charlotte-NC.html

^^ So there's this.....

Sharon United Methodist (the huge tall slopey church across Sharon Rd from Cowfish/Residences at SouthPark) has 7 acres that they want to redevelop.

The Property

Currently, the church sits on seven acres. The original structure is going to be leveled and redeveloped, and we are currently in the design phase looking for your input. We want to know what you want in your new community church and center. Are you hoping for a coffee shop, or perhaps a family-friendly restaurant?

frame1_tl.pngclear_10x10.gifframe1_tr.pngclear_10x10.gif75066264.jpegclear_10x10.gifframe1_bl.pngclear_10x10.gifframe1_br.png We're breaking the conventional church mold and pulling out all the stops, building a center that is dedicated not only to our members, but to improving the entire community. To make our community center a reflection of the community, we need you and your family to get involved!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hearing that 1st quarter of 2015, we should hear that A Southern Season will be anchoring the Ski Slope Church redevelopment project which is being done in partnership with Childress Klein. The source is pretty reliable, but we will categorize this a "Rumor Mill" just in case ;-).