SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

• 2 weeks later...

I find it humorous that the family that brought a good amount of traffic to the SouthPark area are now the one's most up in arms about traffic.  Also, this development encourages other modes of getting around besides the projects they have built. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/05/commercial-real-estate-owners-oppose-mixed-use.html

Also new renderings!

the-colony-rendering-3.jpg

the-colony-rendering-2.jpg

the-colony-rendering-1.jpg

Edited by rjp212

I find it humorous that the family that brought a good amount of traffic to the SouthPark area are now the one's most up in arms about traffic.  Also, this development encourages other modes of getting around besides the projects they have built. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/05/commercial-real-estate-owners-oppose-mixed-use.html

Also new renderings!

the-colony-rendering-3.jpg

the-colony-rendering-2.jpg

the-colony-rendering-1.jpg

Kills me that SouthPark and Madison Park continue to get the highest quality development in the city.

I feel like this would be a good time to reminisce on this letter: 

Dear Friend:

It has been brought to my attention that you have expressed an interest in helping Harris Land deliver Saks and North Carolina's only worldwide five star hotel to Charlotte. Our project is now stopped, and the media is calling daily. Unless we start construction immediately we cannot meet deadlines and we will have no project. We have almost $15,000,000 of our own leverage money invested in huge hole that is to be the underground parking, making the project a pace setter for other North Carolina and U.S. developments

We read daily that the state is granting other out of state developers and companies funds to bring jobs to North Carolina, yet none of them seem to compare to this $200,000,000/1,000,000 square-foot oasis. We were told that had we asked for help up-front, before we signed the Saks deal, or the hotel deal for that matter, you could have helped. Now, it appears we have no deal because equity involvement is impossible to procure due to the low return, for instance the underground garage costs $15,000,000 and Saks almost $12,000,000.

We are now asking that you commit to helping us by either funding Saks, the parking, or the five star hotel (we are now negotiating with one of the most widely renown hotel flags in the world - a prerequisite set by having to go overseas to secure non-recourse debt). We are willing to take the financial risk of restarting construction if we have a commitment from you now that funding will take place in the near future. Your financial assistance would enable a return for cash equity. The procurement of this luxury hotel is a real coup for North Carolina.

Should this not occur, North Carolina would lose the opportunity to take advantage of already-existing facilities where students of Johnson and Wales University, Central Piedmont Community College, Carolina Medical Center, etc. could get enhanced traning, career jobs and quality instruction in an outstanding, first-class environment. Whether it is in the hospitality, medical, retail, office, horticulture or restaurant fields, the entrepreneurs will receive excellent experience working with or along side nationally known companies.

North Carolina will be repaid ten-fold through growth and taxes and provide over 500 stable job opportunities that offer endless possibilities for advancement.

Every person wants to leave the world better than they found it. If that were not so, I would be playing tiddly-winks at the beach now. Instead I have chosen to dedicate the last twelve years of my life to taking almost insurmountable table risks and jumping hurdles too tall for me, but they are not too tall for you.

This is-a-once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for North Carolina and Charlotte, both of whom would be forever indebted to you for your long-reaching vision.

Sincerely,

Dee-Dee Harris President

I giggle a bit at those renderings when the artist Photoshops in a ridiculous amount of people. Still, looks like better development than most garbage. I love how the complaints about mixed use are from the people that own a bunch of strip joints like fast food that require a lot of parking.

Southpark has a chance of forming some sort-of community, and I can't believe these developers are saying it should be otherwise.

I giggle a bit at those renderings when the artist Photoshops in a ridiculous amount of people. Still, looks like better development than most garbage. I love how the complaints about mixed use are from the people that own a bunch of strip joints like fast food that require a lot of parking.

Southpark has a chance of forming some sort-of community, and I can't believe these developers are saying it should be otherwise.

Amazingly there were 20-30 floor buildings proposed on this land in 2007. Also with 1000 units of housing, a couple hundred thousand sq feet of offices, shops, restaurants and a Publix, there could be plenty of people walking about. 

Edited by Guest

It's still better than the once-prevalent style of having no people in renderings and buildings were considered sculpture without the obstruction of human scale

Agreed but hopefully the city will increase opportunities for people to walk in the area with a little transit planning. From my memory, it has a lot of imposing boulevards and still many shopping strips with large parking lots. The area has a long way to go.

Agreed but hopefully the city will increase opportunities for people to walk in the area with a little transit planning. From my memory, it has a lot of imposing boulevards and still many shopping strips with large parking lots. The area has a long way to go.

"Boulevards" yes that's what they are.... Boulevards. 

7567265672_ed5a3c5827_b.jpg

Skyhouse South Park next please ;)

I don't want any Highrises outside of uptown, midtown, SouthEnd, NoDa or Plaza. Even then, I'd rather limit it to uptown with a couple small Highrises in SouthEnd.

And 100% no Highrises in Southpark. No mam.

• Like 1

I don't want any Highrises outside of uptown, midtown, SouthEnd, NoDa or Plaza. Even then, I'd rather limit it to uptown with a couple small Highrises in SouthEnd.

And 100% no Highrises in Southpark. No mam.

I would def like to see high rises in SouthPark.
  • Like 4

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a "seconds skyline" at all. Of course, that would be like ATL's Buckhead or Houston's Medical District, but I wouldn't be opposed in the least. The only thing I hate about those two cities' second skylines is that that are so linear - they basically line a single street with high-rises.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a "seconds skyline" at all. Of course, that would be like ATL's Buckhead or Houston's Medical District, but I wouldn't be opposed in the least. The only thing I hate about those two cities' second skylines is that that are so linear - they basically line a single street with high-rises.

Meanwhile they don't like a single street and they're cores are much larger than uptown.

SouthPark isn't designed for high density and why would you want Highrise development in a suburb? I can deal with low/mid rises. But Highrise? Keep it in the center city. Not the suburbs. I hope it never happens. At least in my lifetime. And I'm just a baby - 23 years old. Southpark will never be Urban. Unless your idea of urban is Buckhead?

Anyway, any word on Publix?

I agree that we need at least a couple of other spots in the city where there are midrises at the least.  In the population thread there was an article by Slate referenced.  In that article they have a picture of uptown and the caption underneath states The "City" of Charlotte.  Like we're not really a city.  We need to have a couple more urban locations around the city so we're not at the 76% suburban rate that we currently are.  I think those spots could be around northlake (already have a couple of "taller" office buildings) and maybe on the southside along 485.  Similar to what you find in ATL on the loop.

I agree that we need at least a couple of other spots in the city where there are midrises at the least. In the population thread there was an article by Slate referenced. In that article they have a picture of uptown and the caption underneath states The "City" of Charlotte. Like we're not really a city. We need to have a couple more urban locations around the city so we're not at the 76% suburban rate that we currently are. I think those spots could be around northlake (already have a couple of "taller" office buildings) and maybe on the southside along 485. Similar to what you find in ATL on the loop.

Meanwhile, they used a very flattering picture. The author must be from NYC or some other very large city. We have a large skyline for how big our city really is. It's so annoying when people can't interpret the population stats.

• Like 1

I agree that we need at least a couple of other spots in the city where there are midrises at the least.  In the population thread there was an article by Slate referenced.  In that article they have a picture of uptown and the caption underneath states The "City" of Charlotte.  Like we're not really a city.  We need to have a couple more urban locations around the city so we're not at the 76% suburban rate that we currently are.  I think those spots could be around northlake (already have a couple of "taller" office buildings) and maybe on the southside along 485.  Similar to what you find in ATL on the loop.

You know, we talk a lot in this city about how we don't want to repeat the mistakes of Atlanta. Having our very own Perimeter City would be horrible. Too much density in places that aren't designed to handle the traffic is the main recipe for disastrous suburbia. Ballantyne is bad enough, and we're basically getting the same thing at Providence/485 with the two - soon to be three - very large retail/office developments going in there. Prosperity Village is probably our best chance to do something different that Atlanta.

• Like 3

You know, we talk a lot in this city about how we don't want to repeat the mistakes of Atlanta. Having our very own Perimeter City would be horrible. Too much density in places that aren't designed to handle the traffic is the main recipe for disastrous suburbia. Ballantyne is bad enough, and we're basically getting the same thing at Providence/485 with the two - soon to be three - very large retail/office developments going in there. Prosperity Village is probably our best chance to do something different that Atlanta.

Not to stray off topic, but accela has an approved Wendy's smack in the middle of the new Prosperity Village core.  As for highrise capable areas, I feel like Midtown is close enough to being an extension of uptown that it could handle it, given the proper infrastructure upgrades and zoning.

Southpark most definitely does not need to have buildings over 10 stories. 

• 3 weeks later...