SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

Subscriber story about recent SouthPark area leases and here are some highlights.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/04/03/recent-lease-deals-including-hq-relocation-reflect.html

""Discovery Education — which provides tech curriculum tools like digital textbooks and a video streaming service for teachers — has relocated some operations from Silver Spring, Maryland, to the Queen City over the past year. The company was previously in about 10,000 square feet at The Rotunda in SouthPark and recently signed a lease for about 30,000 square feet at Capitol Towers across the street.  Brian Shaw, the company's chief financial officer, said new office space is part of the company's ongoing expansion within Charlotte, which will include hiring for new positions and relocating some jobs. Discovery Education today has about 40 employees in Charlotte; the local number is expected to grow to 150 in about a year, although Shaw noted growth will occur across all of Discovery Education's offices in the U.S. and London.""

another firm growing in SouthPark

""Data analytics firm AGDATA is also growing in SouthPark. The Charlotte-based company recently signed on to sublease 55,000 square feet at Three Morrocroft Centre, an expansion from the existing 30,000 square feet it's in right now at 6060 Piedmont Row Drive South.""

and yet another firm growing in the area

"I think SouthPark was a minus 10 years ago and now it’s a plus," said Briggs, executive vice president at PrecisionLender, adding commute time, free parking, area amenities like retail and accessibility have been benefits for employees at the firm. PrecisionLender was previously in 8,700 square feet at Carnegie X and recently moved into 22,000 square feet at The Rotunda.""

any firm taking down more office space is adding employees so this is great news! 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If memory serves, the area where Carnegie, Capitol Towers and all that now sits was in the 70's the site of an office building for Celanese, also known as Hoechst Celanese, a polymer producer with production on Archdale and also several other sites in the Carolinas. The Celanese building and little else was on that property.

Corrections to my memory are encouraged.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

there was a big special advertorial section of Business Journal on SouthPark area growth.   It was called the Southpark Spotlight.  here is some recap with timing of these projects. 

3 new hotels

AC by Marriott opens this October 162 rooms 8 stories 

175 room Hyatt Centric at Apex (skislope church site) 8 stories early 2021

150 room Canopy by Hilton 6 stories behind SouthPark towers next to new Liberty southpark project spring of 2020

5000 New apartments in the last 5 years

New Restoration Hardware 41,000 sq ft 3 stories new anchor of LH's redux of Phillips Place

3 mile Southpark loop trail in planning and some developers like LH and Childress Klein will complete their portions as apart of their projects  will connect Piedmont Row with Fairview office towers to Phillips Place to Apex Southpark to Rexford Rd office area back to Capitol Towers. 

The Colony redevelopment will start 2Q of this year. 1st phase is 280K of retail with anchors Publix and 70K Lifestyle Fitness center 340 of the planned 900+ apartments and a hotel. 

Apex Southpark two 12 story apartment towers will be up to the Museum Tower standards. (and I guess close in price)   this is 2021 completion but well underway now. 

Liberty's Barclay at Southpark 165 senior apartments plus over 100 assisted living units. 

Zom's Hazel Southpark with 203 apartments. 1st quarter 2020 completion.

Legion Brewing at Capitol Towers unbelievably successful according to Johnny Harris of LH. 

LH still plans it 340K third Capitol Tower calling it 5954 Carnegie Blvd 10 story more modern tower won rezoning.   They hope to start at end of this year!

there is your Southpark wrapup. 

Wow - Just wow.  So it’s hands down the busiest Submarket in Charlotte outside of Center City for Development.  Just wish there was a way  to get some type of rapid transit to the Southpark/Montfort Park Areas.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

If memory serves, the area where Carnegie, Capitol Towers and all that now sits was in the 70's the site of an office building for Celanese, also known as Hoechst Celanese, a polymer producer with production on Archdale and also several other sites in the Carolinas. The Celanese building and little else was on that property.

Corrections to my memory are encouraged.

Your memory is totally corrected then Sea Land Maresk took the building over and was there for many years before moving out.  Then the building was sold and demolished.  Capitol Towers and the apartments behind it rose from the dust.  Plus the last tract will be LH 10 story office tower mentioned above on Carnegie. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

Do you guys ever think Southpark will transform into a Buckhead type area? Right now I think of it as a mini Buckhead.

Buildings are not likely to get higher than today and the land area of SouthPark is smaller as Buckhead or what people call Buckhead expands several miles up and down Peachtree St.   I think you will see more redevelopment in the future smaller office buildings knocked over for newer and larger ones but SouthPark will be closer to build out once these projects wrap up including the Colony apartment redevelopment. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

there was a big special advertorial section of Business Journal on SouthPark area growth.   It was called the Southpark Spotlight.  here is some recap with timing of these projects. 

3 new hotels

AC by Marriott opens this October 162 rooms 8 stories 

175 room Hyatt Centric at Apex (skislope church site) 8 stories early 2021

150 room Canopy by Hilton 6 stories behind SouthPark towers next to new Liberty southpark project spring of 2020

5000 New apartments in the last 5 years

New Restoration Hardware 41,000 sq ft 3 stories new anchor of LH's redux of Phillips Place

3 mile Southpark loop trail in planning and some developers like LH and Childress Klein will complete their portions as apart of their projects  will connect Piedmont Row with Fairview office towers to Phillips Place to Apex Southpark to Rexford Rd office area back to Capitol Towers. 

The Colony redevelopment will start 2Q of this year. 1st phase is 280K of retail with anchors Publix and 70K Lifestyle Fitness center 340 of the planned 900+ apartments and a hotel. 

Apex Southpark two 12 story apartment towers will be up to the Museum Tower standards. (and I guess close in price)   this is 2021 completion but well underway now. 

Liberty's Barclay at Southpark 165 senior apartments plus over 100 assisted living units. 

Zom's Hazel Southpark with 203 apartments. 1st quarter 2020 completion.

Legion Brewing at Capitol Towers unbelievably successful according to Johnny Harris of LH. 

LH still plans it 340K third Capitol Tower calling it 5954 Carnegie Blvd 10 story more modern tower won rezoning.   They hope to start at end of this year!

there is your Southpark wrapup. 

This is an impressive list of developments.  I like that the development seems diverse, we have retail, office, hotel, residential......would like to see a full service upper end hotel.

Legion has hit it out of the park, more restaurants with this price point is need in the area.

it looks like demo has started on the Novant building beside Sharon Corners, is the building coming down or just a renovation?  DH Griffin is on-site, so it looks like the entire building may come down.  Would like to see a 10ish story building in here.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CLT_sc said:

This is an impressive list of developments.  I like that the development seems diverse, we have retail, office, hotel, residential......would like to see a full service upper end hotel.

Legion has hit it out of the park, more restaurants with this price point is need in the area.

it looks like demo has started on the Novant building beside Sharon Corners, is the building coming down or just a renovation?  DH Griffin is on-site, so it looks like the entire building may come down.  Would like to see a 10ish story building in here.

Would think they are far enough away from downtown to have another JW quality hotel. Maybe a Loews?

I'd like a hotel on Park Rd. There are no national chains from South End to Myers Park to Southpark

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CLT_sc said:

Another steakhouse coming to Southpark.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/166145/steak-48-steakhouse-in-southpark-charlotte/

it looks good, just not sure another one is needed.  Seems like there are more steak places at Southpark than tower cranes in Charlotte.

Maestro's in Scottsdale is very good. Same ownership group. 

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 11:48 PM, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Maestro's in Scottsdale is very good. Same ownership group. 

The restaurant looks really good, just hoping for some things that are not currently in the area.  Maybe a Thai (Rai Lay or Basil) restaurant and some local places.  But, rent is also high so it makes it a little more challenging.

2 hours ago, QClifer said:

Are they demoing the office building next to the 2 story mcd's? It is fenced off and I think i remember an article awhile back that a new building would be built there.  Any info on what that building would be, size, timeline, etc

Isn't that DeeDee's HQ? Maybe we'll see the hole filled soon?

13 minutes ago, sclark said:

Isn't that DeeDee's HQ? Maybe we'll see the hole filled soon?

Novant bought it last year from Dee Dee.  But there hasn't been any plans released at least that I could find.  CO article said Novant has been tight lipped about the project.  Good riddance on the building.  Like most of the DeeDee and Cameron buildings...it never look kept up with.  Maybe they could take some of that 18 million and fix the crunched sign that has been out front of the Roosters building for the past 5+ years.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 2:31 PM, InSouthPark said:

Novant bought it last year from Dee Dee.  But there hasn't been any plans released at least that I could find.  CO article said Novant has been tight lipped about the project.  Good riddance on the building.  Like most of the DeeDee and Cameron buildings...it never look kept up with.  Maybe they could take some of that 18 million and fix the crunched sign that has been out front of the Roosters building for the past 5+ years.

Can’t wait to see this building come down.  Would love to see something in the 10 story range go back in there.  I am not optimistic, hope it does not look like the Atrium Health building across from Phillips Place.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CLT_sc said:

Can’t wait to see this building come down.  Would love to see something in the 10 story range go back in there.  I am not optimistic, hope it does not look like the Atrium Health building across from Phillips Place.

I'm not sure it's coming down...have been watching it for the last 3 weeks and it looks like they may be gutting it for an internal redo.

• Like 1