SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

1 hour ago, Zeitgeist_4131 said:

I'm not sure it's coming down...have been watching it for the last 3 weeks and it looks like they may be gutting it for an internal redo.

Not sure if it's a renovation or demo, but I know they've been removing asbestos for the past several weeks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

21 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Agenda has an article on Symphony Park getting a $10 million upgrade!

I saw this too.  I thought this tidbit was interesting: "Simon is also interested in expanding pop-up retail into the park, perhaps via shipping containers."

• Like 2

My long-held hope is that Simon has a strategic plan for its holdings, and recognizes the re-development potential of South Park. I want to see the entire site redeveloped as TOD, with some moderately high (as much as surrounding neighborhoods will allow) buildings in a street grid, almost all with ground floor retail, including those facing Fairview and Sharon.  I *loved* the original, almost minimalist structure of the mall, but Simon ruined it and made it look like every other mall in this country, so I won't be sad to see it go.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

They'll need some better T to go with that D.

I know it's the most basic sort, but I always do consider walking an essential T component, so even without (hoped for longer term) integration within a public transit system, reasonably sized blocks with ample sidewalks and bike lanes--so two components--could be--eh--half the T? 

My own little metric for a truly great city is whether most of its residents can walk to a grocery, pharmacy, decent restaurant or two... So even just having that area provide a real walking destination for the surrounding 'hoods would be better than the now.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, ertley said:

My long-held hope is that Simon has a strategic plan for its holdings, and recognizes the re-development potential of South Park. I want to see the entire site redeveloped as TOD, with some moderately high (as much as surrounding neighborhoods will allow) buildings in a street grid, almost all with ground floor retail, including those facing Fairview and Sharon.  I *loved* the original, almost minimalist structure of the mall, but Simon ruined it and made it look like every other mall in this country, so I won't be sad to see it go.

Simon bought the mall after Faison refurbished it, so don't blame them on the redesign.  The problem with SouthPark, and almost every other mall property in the country for that matter, is that large chunks of the property under the building AND under the parking (surface or structured) are owned by anchor tenants.  getting them (BELK) to agree on much is next to impossible. That is one of the reasons it took us almost a decade to just tear down Eastland.

Edited by archiham04
  • Like 1

I’d like to see a high-end shopping district developed Uptown with apartments and hotels above the street level retail. 

I’d love to see the mall get razed.  That’s a huge site in a prime area that could be redeveloped into a huge, pedestrian-oriented mixed use development.  If a developer could also acquire the junky properties on Morrison Blvd between the mall and the Colony, a huge, contiguous, walkable area could emerge. That might prompt a rail extension from South End/Uptown to SouthPark.  Maybe it could run along South Blvd and then turn onto Tyvola.  A branch could also run west on Tyvola toward the airport.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

SouthPark as its currently structured isn’t going anywhere. The mall is one of the most profitable per square foot in the country and is in no dire need of any type of refurbishment.  

I know.  I’d just like to see it displaced by retail in Uptown.

Ironically I could see South Park Mall being adaptable to be an actual urban version of the "lifestyle center" concept, which is normally still just a mall in a parking lot. Imagine if the main axial corridors through the mall were opened up/integrated into pedestrian paths that extended out to the main thoroughfares. The fundamental building blocks of the retail would be there, but the circulation would become open and part of the pedestrian grid. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of SouthPark area a shot or two from this weekend.   The office rental rates are almost or at uptown Charlotte's rate.   What is going in the George's space was that announced yet at Piedmont Row and looking forward to a new tenant in the T Mac space. 

IMG_5013.JPG

IMG_5015.JPG

• Like 4

4 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Ironically I could see South Park Mall being adaptable to be an actual urban version of the "lifestyle center" concept, which is normally still just a mall in a parking lot. Imagine if the main axial corridors through the mall were opened up/integrated into pedestrian paths that extended out to the main thoroughfares. The fundamental building blocks of the retail would be there, but the circulation would become open and part of the pedestrian grid. 

The Waterside Shops in Naples is like that.

On 6/3/2019 at 7:11 PM, KJHburg said:

Speaking of SouthPark area a shot or two from this weekend.   The office rental rates are almost or at uptown Charlotte's rate.   What is going in the George's space was that announced yet at Piedmont Row and looking forward to a new tenant in the T Mac space. 

I think it's Bentley's new location

http://www.bentleyson27.com/

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I was thinking Rooftop of the AC Hotel would make sense, since thats kinda their thing. Bentleys doesn't really mean much without the view.

Well that makes sense.  But man, that leaves Piedmont Town center in quite a bad predicament for space.  3 out of 5  prominent spaces (TMac, Georges and J Sams) all empty and Terrace is hidden by all the work they are doing (this center seems to be constantly under repair).  Hopefully   

7 hours ago, hambone931 said:

According to Accela, Halls Chophouse is coming to 4300 Congress St. I believe that is Capitol Towers.

Halls is supposed to be good, but another steak house????? We need more variety in the SouthPark area.  

But, I was not sad to see Taco MAC close, it was never that good.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CLT_sc said:

Halls is supposed to be good, but another steak house????? We need more variety in the SouthPark area.  

But, I was not sad to see Taco MAC close, it was never that good.  

Pretty sure they are combining forces with SouthPark Grill