SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

Brookfield has already started a redevelopment at North Point Mall in Alpharetta.   They are tearing down the vacant Sears and put outside restaurants along with an apartment complex.  It will be way too late for Brookfield to wait until a big maybe LYNX is extended that way.   They need to start this redevelopment maybe with that in mind but starting the North Point Mall treatment.  I have been to both malls and North Point is slightly better but struggling due to a nearby outside mixed used development called Avalon (like Waverly but much bigger)  This area has great demographics as does Carolina Place.  

from the ATL Biz Journal

""A planned 30-acre redevelopment of Alpharetta’s North Point Mall would add apartments, retail space and a new outdoor plaza.  Mall owner Brookfield Property Partners L.P submitted new renderings to Alpharetta officials of the project that would remake North Point’s former Sears department store. Brookfield last year acquired General Growth Properties Inc.  The images show a striking new entrance to the mall, dubbed “The Point” in renderings. They also show a large greenspace with a water feature. The project would add 300 residential units in three buildings and 24,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space in three buildings. Drive-through restaurants are discouraged, according to the city’s staff report, suggesting officials want the new project to be pedestrian friendly. Rooftops and outdoor dining are encouraged.    Other features of the plan include a new multi-use path along North Point Circle, which wraps around the mall.""

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Brookfield has already started a redevelopment at North Point Mall in Alpharetta.   They are tearing down the vacant Sears and put outside restaurants along with an apartment complex.  It will be way too late for Brookfield to wait until a big maybe LYNX is extended that way.   They need to start this redevelopment maybe with that in mind but starting the North Point Mall treatment.  I have been to both malls and North Point is slightly better but struggling due to a nearby outside mixed used development called Avalon (like Waverly but much bigger)  This area has great demographics as does Carolina Place.  

from the ATL Biz Journal

""A planned 30-acre redevelopment of Alpharetta’s North Point Mall would add apartments, retail space and a new outdoor plaza.  Mall owner Brookfield Property Partners L.P submitted new renderings to Alpharetta officials of the project that would remake North Point’s former Sears department store. Brookfield last year acquired General Growth Properties Inc.  The images show a striking new entrance to the mall, dubbed “The Point” in renderings. They also show a large greenspace with a water feature. The project would add 300 residential units in three buildings and 24,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space in three buildings. Drive-through restaurants are discouraged, according to the city’s staff report, suggesting officials want the new project to be pedestrian friendly. Rooftops and outdoor dining are encouraged.    Other features of the plan include a new multi-use path along North Point Circle, which wraps around the mall.""

If I speak to them again, I will ask about their time frame to start improvements.  However, my expectation is that they will not do much until something is decided on the light rail.  As I understand it, the blue line could stop at the mall exactly or be several miles away from it.  Those create two very different results for the mall.  Without the rail to spur the new life, I am not sure they will want to reposition it as a retail center in the face of some other nearby centers (Ballantyne, Tanger, etc.).  After all, the mall is dying in part due to location and competition.  Without the light rail, an entirely new purpose for the land may be the best use.  I will probably talk to those guys in a few weeks, so I will let you know what they say if this comes up.

• Like 4

I know that I'm in the minority here, but I'd really like to see the mall come down and be replaced with a walkable, outside shopping center.

Actually I bet you are in the majority

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, CLT_sc said:

I heard the 5/3 Building, but I heard this from out of the blue....from a reliable source.  The Novant building is much more solid.

5/3 has vacated that building though they might be someone else upstairs but it was built in the 1960s and I have heard it might be torn down too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CLT_sc said:

I heard the 5/3 Building, but I heard this from out of the blue....from a reliable source.  The Novant building is much more solid.

Thanks, there are some junky buildings closer to Park Rd.  I specifically hoped that you referred to the one just west of McDonald’s (across from Nordstrom). Hopefully, that will  be redeveloped too.

Edited by SydneyCarton

45 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Other miscellaneous Southpark projects.  Really many of these projects are so big they need their own thread but I digress.  1. I see some surveying on the Capitol Towers 3 site.   Photos 6-9 The Zom Living apartment and retail complex looking good and the AC by Marriott hotel is really nice (photos 2-4).  Can't wait to go to the rooftop patio.   

IMG_9939.JPG

IMG_9935.JPG

IMG_9936.JPG

IMG_9937.JPG

IMG_9938.JPG

IMG_9941.JPG

IMG_9942.JPG

IMG_9943.JPG

IMG_9944.JPG

South Park... continuing to get better architecture than South End.

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Correct as confirmed in Charlotte Ledger today.  Dominion Realty Partners the developer of FNB Tower uptown will develop the 15 story tower.

https://charlotteledger.substack.com/

""Raleigh-based developer Dominion Realty Partners says it has a prime piece of real estate on Fairview Road under contract and has submitted plans to the city to build an apartment tower that would be the tallest residential building in SouthPark.  The location is across from the Nordstrom entrance to SouthPark mall on the site of the old Fifth Third Bank building, said Andy Andrews, Dominion Realty’s CEO, in an interview with The Ledger. The company is planning a building that is about 15 stories high with 365 apartments — although those numbers could change based on conversations with city planners, Andrews said. Property records show the site is about 1.8 acres.  The apartment tower would be on a stretch of Fairview composed mostly of stately office towers, including the nearby SouthPark Towers — which, at 14 and 15 stories, are the tallest structures in SouthPark.""

Southpark is becoming its own City

• Like 2

I would suspect a Novant tower would be huge medical office building and there are still more areas to redevelop in Southpark area.  Southpark is getting quite a bit of senior apartments expansion with Sharon Towers expanding, new Barclay at Southpark and of course Cypress is just down the street.  Plus densely populated areas in every direction from southpark. 

• Like 3