SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

33 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Does anyone know where the new Novant building might rise?  I hope that it’s on the site of the really ugly building just west of McDonald’s.

On that ugly building site next to McDonald's. It was torn down and demolished a few months ago, so the building is no more. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Fantastic!  Do you know what will rise there?

Something from Novant. They haven't announced their intentions other than providing enhanced medical services to South Park. Perhaps an emergency room facility to compete with Atrium Health's facility across from Phillip's Place.... just speculating. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, XRZ.ME said:

Is there any plan for an expressway to connect south park area to I77 or I485 or uptown?

No, and it is completely surrounded by residential, some of which is the most expensive in the county. 

The best hope for improving connectivity to South Park and providing options other than waiting 6 light cycles to move through Sharon / Fairview in a car, is dedicated bus rapid transit lanes with a bridge over Fairview/Sharon intersection. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

ROW would be prohibitively expensive plus the NIMBYs would not stand for it. I think the only real option would be a tunnel once the area is completely gridlocked in 20+ years. 

A tunnel would be tremendously expensive.  Maybe a monorail, which is being done in Seattle, but NIMBYs would hate that, too.  It seems like traffic in SP already is unbearable, and will only grt worse, so I don't see how they can do nothing.

17 hours ago, JacksonH said:

A tunnel would be tremendously expensive.  Maybe a monorail, which is being done in Seattle, but NIMBYs would hate that, too.  It seems like traffic in SP already is unbearable, and will only grt worse, so I don't see how they can do nothing.

Elevated light rail like in DC? Going down Fairview from South-End?

18 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

Why no Blue Line fork through there eventually? 

I think its POSSIBLE to have a small line from Fairview/Tyvola to the airport(or at least to the blue line). Fairview is already not that residential and if it ended right at the mall, it could be a popular option.

37 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I think its POSSIBLE to have a small line from Fairview/Tyvola to the airport(or at least to the blue line). Fairview is already not that residential and if it ended right at the mall, it could be a popular option.

Tyvola and Fairview have houses and non-residential buildings pretty close to the street a lot of the way though. I don't know how you'd put even an elevated one-track monorail, let alone a Blue Line track, through there. It's only a 4-lane street without a median all the way from South Blvd to Marion Diehl. I agree something will have to be done to get transit to the mall area though, there's too many cars already and it's only going to get worse.

• 2 weeks later...