SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

On 5/25/2021 at 3:45 PM, Temeteron said:

I like the model and layout of San Francisco, NY, DC and Boston in the US.  Also, Vancouver, Athens, Barcelona and Hamburg are good examples for abroad.  Very walkable and with bike lanes everywhere.  Density is good but smart density is even better! 

You should add San Diego to that list.  I lived in the DC area for many years and I definitely agree about that.  It's extremely walkable and with a somewhat European feel.  But San Diego also has many amazing walkable neighborhoods: Little Italy, North Park, South Park, Hillcrest, University Heights, Normal Heights, Kensington, College Area, City Heights, La Jolla, Coronado, Pacific Beach to name a few.  In fact, going from the edge of downtown to the Kensington neighborhood is an uninterrupted dense urban stretch of about eight miles.  From my house about everything imaginable is accessible by foot: gyms, banks, parks, grocery stores, drug stores, bars, restaurants, bakeries, ice cream shops, live music venues, and so much more.  For restaurants my choices include Ethiopian, Argentinean, French, Vietnamese, ramen, sushi, Thai, Italian, Mexican, Vegetarian, Vegan, seafood,  Middle Eastern and much, much more.  It seems like whenever I go for a walk I discover something new.  And it's things like walkability, and of course beaches and mountains, that make it so difficult for me to quit this place. 

But the walkability factor alone cannot be underrated.  I expect to be back in Charlotte at some point, at least part time, and I can't imagine living in a neighborhood that's not very walkable.  Not having that would make me very depressed.  As far as those European cities you list, I assume you're only including those because of bike lanes?  Because there are hardly any European cities that are not very walkable.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

One of my friend mentioned this but I did not know if public.  the entire Trianon condo complex is for sale in Southpark (I know their HOA fees are very high)  Highest and best due by June 25! 

evidently according to my sources they have an offer on the table seeing if anyone tops that one and then a vote by 80% of the owners to make it happen. 

Trianon Condominiums - The Nichols Company

There are a few old Condo complex's doing that right now. 

15 hours ago, KJHburg said:

One of my friend mentioned this but I did not know if public.  the entire Trianon condo complex is for sale in Southpark (I know their HOA fees are very high)  Highest and best due by June 25! 

evidently according to my sources they have an offer on the table seeing if anyone tops that one and then a vote by 80% of the owners to make it happen. 

Trianon Condominiums - The Nichols Company

Colony Redevelopment + Trianon + new AC Hotel makes that an interesting little cluster.

• Like 2

Condos selling out the whole complex is very long and difficult process.  One small 40-50 unit condo complex in Raleigh took about 5 years to complete the sale.  However this is prime property where Trianon is located on and a high density for sale housing complex would do great there.  Concerns would be from the neighbors of this especially Barclay Downs single family homes.  But i could see a for sale high end townhome complex there going to higher densities by Roxborough Road. 

yes Dilworth Edge has talked about doing this but it is very hard believe me. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nucor is buying a vacant 67.000 sq ft building at 2100 Rexford Road very close to their existing HQ on Rexford.  (they own their existing HQ building but lease some of the space out)

Nucor #149 on the Fortune 500 list runs a lean corporate HQ but they just bought a huge building supply company based in Cary.  

From the Charlotte Ledger this morning:

""Charlotte-based steel giant Nucor has bought a recently renovated four-story office building in SouthPark … for a cool $21M.  Property records show the Fortune 500 company closed on the purchase of 2100 Rexford, more or less across the street from its current headquarters at 1915 Rexford Road.  So unless the nation’s largest steel company is getting into the real estate speculation business or is planning a smelting operation behind Specialty Shops, it would seem to make sense that the new acquisition would be a headquarters building.  Nucor didn’t respond to requests for comment over the weekend. Childress Klein had owned the building since 2019 along with Gottesman Real Estate Partners. A Childress Klein spokeswoman over the weekend referred inquiries to Nucor.  Childress Klein and Gottesman bought the site from LendingTree, which had envisioned it as part of a new SouthPark headquarters before determining that its growth demanded more space. LendingTree employees started moving into its new headquarters at Vantage South End on Tryon Street last week.""

wonder if this has anything to do with it the purchase of the Cary based company?

Nucor To Buy IMP Business Of Cornerstone Building Brands For $1 Bln Cash - Quick Facts | Nasdaq

anyway it gets a completely empty building off the market in the Southpark area. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Nucor is buying a vacant 67.000 sq ft building at 2100 Rexford Road very close to their existing HQ on Rexford.  (they own their existing HQ building but lease some of the space out)

Nucor #149 on the Fortune 500 list runs a lean corporate HQ but they just bought a huge building supply company based in Cary.  

""Charlotte-based steel giant Nucor has bought a recently renovated four-story office building in SouthPark … for a cool $21M.  Property records show the Fortune 500 company closed on the purchase of 2100 Rexford, more or less across the street from its current headquarters at 1915 Rexford Road.  So unless the nation’s largest steel company is getting into the real estate speculation business or is planning a smelting operation behind Specialty Shops, it would seem to make sense that the new acquisition would be a headquarters building.  Nucor didn’t respond to requests for comment over the weekend. Childress Klein had owned the building since 2019 along with Gottesman Real Estate Partners. A Childress Klein spokeswoman over the weekend referred inquiries to Nucor.  Childress Klein and Gottesman bought the site from LendingTree, which had envisioned it as part of a new SouthPark headquarters before determining that its growth demanded more space. LendingTree employees started moving into its new headquarters at Vantage South End on Tryon Street last week.""

wonder if this has anything to do with it the purchase of the Cary based company?

Nucor To Buy IMP Business Of Cornerstone Building Brands For $1 Bln Cash - Quick Facts | Nasdaq

anyway it gets a completely empty building off the market in the Southpark area. 

The ledger also says that the HQ is very lean and only about 100 at the current location.   I would assume that 67k sf could house, at least double that, even with a bunch of amenities. 

Edited by InSouthPark

7 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I would not read much into this other than them needing slightly more office space. Nucor continues to be very lean.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Related was the developer of NYC Hudson Yards, the biggest private development in the US and largest in NYC since Rockefeller Center. 

For anyone unfamiliar with Related, here's one example of its work: the newly built Hudson Yards, which -- so far -- has six supertalls, the tallest of which is 1,350'.   Expect something amazing from Related.

It's impressive that the first project outside of a few huge cities will be in Charlotte, rather than Atlanta or Dallas.  This is significant IMO and a testament to the growing clout of the QC.

hy1.jpg

HY2.jpg

hy3.jpg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

Has Related built any low-rise developments before? I wouldn't imagine that anything too tall would go on this site.

They've built (and are building) a lot of relatively low-rise projects in West Palm.  Here's one example:

https://relatedgroup.com/properties/cityplace-west-palm-beach/

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

On 6/12/2021 at 9:21 PM, KJHburg said:

Drive bys in the Southpark area and here is the Apex project with the hotel now open, church, apartments, retail space  and the hottest restaurant in town Steak 48 which books a month or more in advance.

Today.  Very dense suburban project great job Childress Klein!  a model for church private developer projects.  

IMG_7892.JPG

IMG_7893.JPG

IMG_7894.JPG

IMG_7895.JPG

IMG_7896.JPG

IMG_7897.JPG

IMG_7898.JPG

IMG_7899.JPG

IMG_7900.JPG

Drove by this area over the weekend, and all the street trees to the right of the last photo have been chopped down.  Appears to be associated with redevelopment of this sidewalk.  Yes, I'm a tree freak, and was really disheartened and bummed and frustrated to see these street trees and shade along this stretch unceremoniously chopped down.  Assume for an important purpose and unavoidable.  Anyone in the know on why?  Anyone care, lol?

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

They've built (and are building) a lot of relatively low-rise projects in West Palm.  Here's one example:

https://relatedgroup.com/properties/cityplace-west-palm-beach/

Their site says they've transformed Cityplace...from the website photos, citplace looks a lot like a relevant case study for the epicenter.

At any rate, really wish a brand like Related were interested in our Uptown versus Southpark.  I know this is controversial, but Lennar in Uptown gets us something like the Ellis, versus almost universally-accepted high-quality urban product with high-end finishes (exterior and interior) that is found in Related Group's portfolio.  Uptown not yet on Related Group's radar, but I'm sure that'll change eventually.  For now, Southpark. 

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RANYC said:

Their site says they've transformed Cityplace...from the website photos, citplace looks a lot like a relevant case study for the epicenter.

At any rate, really wish a brand like Related were interested in our Uptown versus Southpark.  I know this is controversial, but Lennar in Uptown gets us something like the Ellis, versus almost universally-accepted high-quality urban product with high-end finishes (exterior and interior) that is found in Related Group's portfolio.  Uptown not yet on Related Group's radar, but I'm sure that'll change eventually.  For now, Southpark. 

I suspect that this is just the start and that they will eventually build Uptown.  

• Like 2