SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

2 hours ago, atlrvr said:

They bid on the 7th and Tryon project RFP that was ultimately won by Metropolitan.  The be clear that project (and I believe this South Park one) is Related Group based in Miami.  Which is a distant cousin of Related Cos which did Hudson Yards.  Both developers are known for high quality architecture though.

Thanks.   I thought that it was Steve Ross' Related.  I agree that they both do very nice work.  

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

I checked Trianon property registry for a half dozen units and they were all in the names of different individual owners. Perhaps owner-resident, perhaps rented, but no owner with multiple units and no corporate owner among those on Roxborough that I investigated. In other words, ownership likely what we think that it is.

• Thanks 1

In some possible future development news, there might be 5.5acres of office/land on Carnegie on the market soon.   I can't see anyone buying it to keep it....the office building is, to put it nicely, is a dump for Southpark.  Would be prime spot for some more apartments, especially if they could ever get Capital Tower 3 off the ground. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

In some possible future development news, there might be 5.5acres of office/land on Carnegie on the market soon.   I can't see anyone buying it to keep it....the office building is, to put it nicely, is a dump for Southpark.  Would be prime spot for some more apartments, especially if they could ever get Capital Tower 3 off the ground. 

which office building will be for sale on Carnegie one of those smaller 3 story buildings?  and you are right office redevelopment is going to start happening with tenants looking for quality buildings or work from home flex options.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, stw52 said:

Apart from the Lincoln Harris build, are any of the 60 proposed towers for SouthPark area? Specifically is the residential tower on Fairview opposite the mall still on? 

unfortunately no that tower site was sold for a drum roll please.......................................a bank branch for Home Trust Bank.   But dont count this area out and there are a few more spots for high rises to rise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

unfortunately no that tower site was sold for a drum roll please.......................................a bank branch for Home Trust Bank.   But dont count this area out and there are a few more spots for high rises to rise. 

I wonder if the SouthEnd and the Ballantyne Reimagined Project would take some wind out of the Sails for Highrise Residential in Southpark or are both too far away to matter?  I would suspect opposition to Highrises in SouthPark would be ferocious from any affected neighbors.  

Apex Southpark and this failed Tower on Fairview wouldn’t be visible to Single Family Subdivisions.  Not so sure about other possible Tower locations in SP.

9 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I wonder if the SouthEnd and the Ballantyne Reimagined Project would take some wind out of the Sails for Highrise Residential in Southpark or are both too far away to matter?  I would suspect opposition to Highrises in SouthPark would be ferocious from any affected neighbors.  

Apex Southpark and this failed Tower on Fairview wouldn’t be visible to Single Family Subdivisions.  Not so sure about other possible Tower locations in SP.

no from what I heard Dominion Partners was going to build the high rise but the banks offer was too good to pass up.  I dont think there was any resistance to the tower there for it was going to be right on Fairview Road across  from the mall.   There are a few more spots but it is okay if there are not high rises everywhere here.   But look for more at Ballantyne, of course Southend, Midtown and uptown.  

• Like 1

I would actually support a height limit for South Park. Limit density due to the reasons mentioned above, and it would create a unique neighborhood and opportunity for different kinds of development than we usually see. 

7 hours ago, MothBeast said:

I would actually support a height limit for South Park. Limit density due to the reasons mentioned above, and it would create a unique neighborhood and opportunity for different kinds of development than we usually see. 

I agree.  I wouldn’t want to see Buckhead-style skyscrapers in SouthPark.

• Like 1

I was very impressed by the development that I observed in SouthPark yesterday.

I think that the strip between Sharon and Morrison that separates the former Colony from the mall should be redeveloped and incorporated into the Colony.

I know that this is heresy for some people, but I think that very large parts of the mall should be razed and redeveloped into an outdoor, mixed-use development.

Not only are indoor malls dead, but North Carolina’s climate invites outdoor-oriented shopping.  

The second photo is a screenshot from a very good video by the 5 and 2 Project.

148CB28A-E5F1-40B6-805E-0E18B3AB0571.jpeg

FE72883C-BFB7-4EF2-8583-AF7A5B1DF19F.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton

25 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think that the strip between Sharon and Morrison that separates the former Colony from the mall should be redeveloped and incorporated into the Colony.

I know that this is heresy for some people, but I think that very large parts of the mall should be razed and redeveloped into an outdoor, mixed-use development.

Not only are indoor malls dead, but North Carolina’s climate invites outdoor-oriented shopping.  

The second photo is a screenshot from a very good video by the 5 and 2 Project.

148CB28A-E5F1-40B6-805E-0E18B3AB0571.jpeg

FE72883C-BFB7-4EF2-8583-AF7A5B1DF19F.jpeg

I’m right there with you on indoor malls versus outdoor, mixed-use, activity centers 

• Like 1

In terms of the mall there is no need to fixed what is not broken.   This is one of the highest grossing malls in terms of sales per square foot.  A Triple A mall.  If any of the big department stores closes and that is a BIG if then they would probably consider redevelopment and open air component.   (they did this with the old Sears where Dicks is now many of you probably were not around then)   I do like outdoor malls but this is fine the way it is with our hot and humid summers and the usual amount of rain we get around here.  

• Like 4

My thoughts are that developing the surface lots around it should be done. Lots around malls are like deserts. Crossing a sizable parking lot feels like you’re walking and not making any progress, it’s mentally draining. As for the Mall itself I would say maybe somewhat enclosed on the top for weather protection. Like the Galleria in Milan someone mentioned somewhere can’t remember.

Galleria:
e887de3b953cadefe35eb250c5131cfa.jpg

I mean…the front entrance kind of already has the look already.
SouthPark:12d294c50887c5bd8d25f0efa866d699.jpg

You could just remove the current roofing and extend the glass over the other concourses and perhaps to make it feel more outdoors… aside from more natural light remove the physical doors/wall entirely at these entrances in red. The department stores are like dead ends and not proper entrances to the mall. Blue circles are domes or maybe even a pyramid: something that lets lots of natural light in.

3cadf556934f3504e2948da677497d25.jpg
919cecaa7d815ec4e8fc63818cee1e9b.jpg

It’s fun to explore what can be done to improve a place. This idea is much less destructive in terms of razing large portions as SydneyCarton mentioned but it got me thinking South Park can be a lot more than just a suburban mall. The addition of something like this would be a minor improvement in making it look and feel like outdoors and more inviting without too much demolition I’d guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1