SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

I agree.  Southpark mall is a profitable, complacent, missed opportunity.  All that there is to it.  I know so many people who shop there because it's the only place to find high-end, chain-luxury retail, and those retailers likely feel they must be at Southpark if they're to be in the Carolinas because no other developers or landlords are really pitching them in this market.  These retailers are really only interested in a limited presence here anyway, so one location at Southpark is enough.  But if ever someone were to come along with a much more walkable, activity-center product, Southpark's dominance would be up for disruption.
Then again, new high-end retail is so tough to get financed.  It's quite possible that although Charlotte is fast-growing, the bulk of discretionary income earners who can patronize luxury retail are largely suburban or like shopping at suburban product.  Dare I say it, they may even be up in age and want to just park close to the entrance and do what they need to do.  Not sure if Charlotte is quite yet the market with 20 and 30-something investment bankers and traders splurging en masse after 6-figure year-end bonuses.

I’m not talking about the luxury stores, not all the stores at South Park are luxury based stores. I don’t speak of Gucci, LV, etc. etc. I just mean shopping in general has been concentrated outside of center city. Shopping doesn’t even need to be in uptown specifically but it could be in center city. This would make it more of a destination imo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I’ve been in this area a few times and while residential will help there is a strange gulf now between the retail options that do exist there.  Would have been nice to see some retail in this project to help fill it out

• 1 month later...

Noticed this morning that there appears to be some site work going on at the intersection of Sharon and Hazelton Dr just to the north of the Sharon Towers construction.  It looks like the two small homes closest to Sharon are going to be moved.  They are both stripped of exterior skin and one is up on wheels.  I'm not sure if it is for further expansion of the towers because this spot is a little disconnected although close.  Any insight as to what might be happening here? 

On 10/4/2021 at 9:25 PM, KJHburg said:

Catching up on things read the article in the Charlotte Ledger about the sale of the entire Trianon condo complex in Southpark area.  It is 9 acres 118 units and they will be putting it to the owners vote to dissolve the condo association and take a huge payment.  The buyer mentioned The Related Co.  the big NYC developer!  Very interesting and lets see if they vote to dissolve.  It takes 80% which is a high threshold.  These are very hard to do but can be great the owners and a developer if they can work it out.  

Whatever happened with this?

4 hours ago, atlrvr said:

Childress Klein has filed rezoning request for the Baku restaurant / BofA branch small center across from the main mall entrance of Sharon Rd and adjacent to their Apex project.  There will be a new mid-rise office building ~100k sq ft with ground floor retail, and a parking deck back recessed into the new church building.  Road network will be expanded to tie into Apex at 2 spots.

Is it me or is there no rezonings on the 2022 rezoning page?  I mean I see one and thats it.  And 2021 has a new format you can't search unless you know specifics.  Not citizen friendly anymore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Southpark Rising!  a new tower is planned between Apex Southpark complex and the 4 story office buildings along Sharon Rd across from the main entrance of the mall.  Basically on the Sharon Station site is proposed for a 8 story office and retail building approx. 120 feet tall.   Proposed by Childress Klein who developed Apex Southpark but that complex has no office space.   This is reported in the Ledger today.   105,000 sq ft building. 

I always wondered how long that little building would last considering the boom in SouthPark.

1 minute ago, MothBeast said:

Sharon Corners is sweatin’ 

It is pretty successful it will be awhile before that is redeveloped.  There are still some more vacant or less density properties in the area.  Behind two office buildings next to 131 Main on Fairview is a sprawling 2 parking deck that could easily be redeveloped (and once was proposed). 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

When this was discussed last year I went online to county property site and checked a few of the ownership records to see if the new developer was buying individual properties to assist in securing a vote. All addresses I saw were individual named owners. The final announced sale price is ~400,000$ per unit average. 

I think that high-end downtown retail is limited to NY, Boston, Chicago, and SF.  Philly has a little, but it's nothing great.  Even rich, "big" cities like Dallas, Atlanta, DC, and Miami don't have it, though Miami's "Design District" has developed some.  (However, that area isn't exactly downtown Miami per se any more than Bal Harbor is.)   Similarly, DC built an outdoor "mall" near NY Avenue at the base of a new condo building.

Anyway, SouthEnd is developing a pretty impressive and unique local retail corridor.

Edited by SydneyCarton

On 3/9/2022 at 11:35 AM, Reverie39 said:

I agree. I've always been surprised that they didn't want to run the Silver Line through it, though I guess it would require a weird sharp turn. Maybe a streetcar one day.

My proposal would never happen, cause South Charlotte lol, but I would want a light rail to go from Uptown to SouthPark  and Ballantyne via Park Rd.

• Like 2