SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

What strikes me most about SouthPark isn’t as much the commercial development, but the massive development of very luxurious mini-mansions in the area around Sharon Lane, etc.   To see modest 2,500 Sq foot 1980s homes replaced with 5,000-6,500 Sq foot stone estates shows how much that Charlotte has changed and continues to change.

The old 2000 Forest Dr versus the new 2000 Forest Dr.

F3FDAFE5-04D2-45A5-B347-AD588D3FBA92.jpeg

38371FFA-EEF4-4D48-B87C-2B3C22D80742.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Interesting Lincoln Harris is finally marketing this tower they got rezoning for a few years back.  This is directly behind their Capitol Towers project. 

from their webpage

https://www.lincolnharris.com/properties/5954-carnegie/

300,000 SF office / ground floor retail

10 stories

Available late 2024

Remarkable views of Uptown

Expansive balcony on penthouse floor

Sky terraces on upper floors

Glass facade

Structured parking with direct access into building

Premier location providing direct access to Charlotte’s most upscale neighborhoods

2022-03-22_5954-Exterior-Renderings_Page_1-retouched-510x382.jpg

It’s nice, but I prefer LH neoclassical.

Interesting little tidbit. I was browsing info on various malls because it's Black Friday, and noticed Wikipedia's SouthPark Mall page calls Southpark the single most congested (traffice-wise) shopping center in the country on Black Friday. It links these as sources:

https://web.archive.org/web/20131203001014/http://www.wcnc.com/news/consumer/Most-Congested-Black-Friday-in-US--in-Charlotte-134298913.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20131202225437/http://www.digtriad.com/news/article/200908/176/Charlottes-Southpark-Mall-Ranked-Most-Congested-In-The-Country

Old data collected by GPS companies but SouthPark needs more transit!

45 minutes ago, Reverie39 said:

Interesting little tidbit. I was browsing info on various malls because it's Black Friday, and noticed Wikipedia's SouthPark Mall page calls Southpark the single most congested (traffice-wise) shopping center in the country on Black Friday. It links these as sources:

https://web.archive.org/web/20131203001014/http://www.wcnc.com/news/consumer/Most-Congested-Black-Friday-in-US--in-Charlotte-134298913.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20131202225437/http://www.digtriad.com/news/article/200908/176/Charlottes-Southpark-Mall-Ranked-Most-Congested-In-The-Country

Old data collected by GPS companies but SouthPark needs more transit!

Is that a study done by the 7 old people that had TomTom GPS on in their car? :tw_joy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

the finest mixed use high density project outside of Uptown Southend   Apex Southpark.  And some great restaurants there too! 

IMG_6729.JPG

I walked through there recently.  It looks good.

I wonder if the old office buildings on Redford Rd. (Other than Nucor) might get redeveloped.  They’re adjacent to the Colony and Trianon developments, and they occupy very prime land.

6E7D65BF-20F0-41FA-89C5-D7D91C4F4B54.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2022 at 8:51 AM, SydneyCarton said:

What strikes me most about SouthPark isn’t as much the commercial development, but the massive development of very luxurious mini-mansions in the area around Sharon Lane, etc.   To see modest 2,500 Sq foot 1980s homes replaced with 5,000-6,500 Sq foot stone estates shows how much that Charlotte has changed and continues to change.

The old 2000 Forest Dr versus the new 2000 Forest Dr.

Who is buying these mansions going up around SP? There are so many, and in Foxcroft too.  Is it local bankers whose kids are getting older and they are moving up from 3br/2ba Myers Park homes? Or are these out of town relocations from companies like USAA, etc. with expanding footprints? The recent explosion of money in this town is bewildering and impressive. 

Edited by Midwoodian
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Midwoodian said:

Who is buying these mansions going up around SP? There are so many, and in Foxcroft too.  Is it local bankers whose kids are getting older and they are moving up from 3br/2ba Myers Park homes? Or are these out of town relocations from companies like USAA, etc. with expanding footprints? The recent explosion of money in this town is bewildering and impressive. 

I think that it’s local successful people.  I suspect that very few jobs with relocations pay enough to buy a $2.5m house.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think that it’s local successful people.  I suspect that very few jobs with relocations pay enough to buy a $2.5m house.

Maybe.  There could be quite a bit of leveraging equity from recent home value increases in Myers Park over the last 3 years.  But at the 3-4M many of those homes will be paid for with cash.  Leads me to believe its people moving from higher cost of living areas taking advantage of their purchasing power.  The banks pour a lot of money into local pockets through bonuses, but I just dont see that making up the largest share of demand for these houses being built in the South Charlotte wedge.

4 hours ago, Midwoodian said:

it is combination of both.  Newly relocated people from more expensive locales like NY, CA, DC area and I would throw in CT and NJ.   Plus locals trading up off big gains in their existing homes and business owners and so forth.  and yes even some NASCAR money lives in the Southpark area I can think of several.  This is all making Mecklenburg county more and more expensive of course and more modest income homebuyers are buying like mad in every ring county around Charlotte.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Midwoodian said:

So with a bourgeoning mid-to-high wealth demographic in Charlotte, is that enough to attract retailers and build a buckhead village district (atl) or highland park village (dal) type of development, which is essentially the expensive wing of southpark mall with a lot of restaurants and bars? 

Edit: Hoped this sort of thing would happen for Epicenter, but it doesn't seem likely given how awful this building is and the amount of repairs/renovations it would take.

Edited by ClassicColtrane
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AltNative said:

@ClassicColtrane  I remember reading that the people who own Highland park village bought a (majority?) stake in Phillips Place with plans to turn it into Charlotte's version of HPV.  They've got some deep pockets so we shall see

Great insight! And I was actually just thinking this, recently had dinner at 800 degrees over there and the layout of the shopping center reminds me of exactly what I'm talking about. Really hope they make a huge investment in Phillips Place and turn it into something special. The demographics of that area def support it. 

Edited by ClassicColtrane
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Midwoodian said:

Maybe.  There could be quite a bit of leveraging equity from recent home value increases in Myers Park over the last 3 years.  But at the 3-4M many of those homes will be paid for with cash.  Leads me to believe its people moving from higher cost of living areas taking advantage of their purchasing power.  The banks pour a lot of money into local pockets through bonuses, but I just dont see that making up the largest share of demand for these houses being built in the South Charlotte wedge.

It's so hard for me to imagine wanting to live in South Park over Myers Park. Do you really need those extra 2K square feet? 

Does make sense that people from the northeast might want the biggest, most luxury spot, but as far as neighborhood and location Myers Park is tough to top. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Driving to Harpers  for dinner this week and at the Sharon/Fairview light I wondered aloud how Burger King could maintain business at such a highly valued corner property. BK has been there for many years and undergone renovations during the years of occupancy. An easy property search shows that BK bought the land in 2007 for 1.9 million$. Previous owner was another entity, unlikely to be related to BK.  There never seems to be enough vehicles there when I pass to make the site profitable but if it is a property play as much as a food business then they have something. What would that corner be worth today?

• Like 2

Driving to Harpers  for dinner this week and at the Sharon/Fairview light I wondered aloud how Burger King could maintain business at such a highly valued corner property. BK has been there for many years and undergone renovations during the years of occupancy. An easy property search shows that BK bought the land in 2007 for 1.9 million$. Previous owner was another entity, unlikely to be related to BK.  There never seems to be enough vehicles there when I pass to make the site profitable but if it is a property play as much as a food business then they have something. What would that corner be worth today?

I’ve always thought the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk