SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it is new Modera apartments under construction against those parking garages here is WSOC reports.  Apartments in framing like that are very vulnerable and downtown Raleigh had a huge fire like this a few years back. 

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/massive-fire-breaks-out-southpark-area-charlotte/JV7BMNMHNNGFRK563XIM5FSDWA/

• Like 1

Latest report I saw said that there are still two construction workers unaccounted for.  Sad stuff.  First the collapse on Morehead and now this.

Edit:  I just thought about something.  I may be wrong, but I believe the building on the other side of that traffic circle adjacent to the hotel is a retirement home / assisted living community.  Had the fire spread that far it would have been truly horrific.

Edited by go_vertical
  • Sad 2

I was out there yesterday around 10.  What a nightmare, emergency vehicles everywhere, traffic being rerouted, huge gridlock!  The size and force of the fore was mammoth!

I quickly turned around and decided that my reason for being there was not so important.

This stage of construction is just the most vulnerable unfortunately.  All these wood frame apartment buildings will have sprinklers but not at this stage of course.  This was the same stage as the massive Houston apartment fire in 2014 and the Raleigh downtown apartment fire of a couple of years ago.   It is terrible to lose 2 construction workers to a fire like this and any construction accidents.  We forget how dangerous a job construction can be especially when it is over a few floors like this.  

• Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

The cause appears to be a foam installation vehicle. Is it the vehicle itself, such as fumes and engine spark and engine heat, or the foam chemicals which expand and create heat, or some other issue?

I heard initially the machine spraying the foam overheated and sparked it but not sure if that is correct on not.  The foam is insulation and ironically might be a fire retardant. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today's CBJ "Related Group halts deal to buy and redevelop Trianon condos in SouthPark" by Elise Franco

Excerpts:  "Just two months after winning a high-profile rezoning, Related Group's multifamily redevelopment project at Trianon Condominiums could be dead in the water."  "The Miami-based developer told the Trianon Homeowners Association yesterday it would not move forward with the planned purchase of the property at 3504 Colony Road in SouthPark due to current conditions in the commercial real estate market."  City Council member Tariq "Bokarhi said after speaking with Related, it was clear that several factors led to the decision.  Unsurprisingly, high interest rates, construction costs and challenges in securing capital were key factors.  "On a more micro level, though, (Related) had come to the understanding recently, looking at comparable projects in that area, that they’re renting more last year than they are now, and that’s pretty atypical," he said.  "The deal, in its current terms, was not something that was possible for them to continue on with."  "The most likely outcome, Bokhari said, is that the property remains in the hands of Trianon residents for now.  "They're going to continue to work toward figuring out if they can adjust the deal and come up with new terms that make the project more viable moving forward," he said.  "The odds on that look pretty daunting.  Related plans to look at it with urgency, but they self-indicated that it's a long-shot."

Link:  https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/06/01/related-group-backs-out-of-trianon-sale.html

Trianon Condominiums - The Nichols Company

Image - Trianon Condominiums - The Nichols Company

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

Both sides are same owner and I am pretty sure the one side can be saved and it was further along.  the other side not sure about the podium part they will have to do some inspections.  So sad 2 lost their lives there. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Thanks 2

The deal to purchase the Trianon Condos for redevelopment between Rexford Road and Colony is looking like it won't close. The developer cited deteriorating market conditions for commercial real estate and declining rents for comparable multifamily properties. This will leave the condos in limbo on whether to invest in needed improvements as residents had planned on moving and a demolition of the structures.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/development/article276179266.html

• Like 3