Culinary Scence

Frankie811

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

A good friend of mine, who is an accomplished chef, takes his wife and children to Angelo's once a week faithfully. He says it's the best Italian comfort food in the state, which brings him back there time after time.

I don't understand the Angelo's love. Maybe it is authentic Italian, and I just really don't like authentic Italian, but when I was there, it was like eating Chef Boyardee.

I don't understand the Angelo's love. Maybe it is authentic Italian, and I just really don't like authentic Italian, but when I was there, it was like eating Chef Boyardee.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think families like it more than anything else. It's a simple, cheap, authentic red sauce place where kids can draw on the tables and yelp without drawing a stare and adults can still enjoy the food. Most of the folks I know who frequent it do so for just that reason.

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree. It's not like the food is out of this world. I know a guy who worked there as a cook who was nothing more than a bartender working a second job. The college kids seem to love the place though.

What is the fascination with Twin Oaks? I don't think I have been to a more overrated place in my life.. There was nothing spectacular about the traditional "American" faire, and the wait was no exaggeration 1:45..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is so funny. I was actually going to bring up Twin Oaks in my last post. And your right. What's so great about that place?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can tell you, Angelo's is NOT authentic Italian..northern or southern. It is simply an inexpensive American (heavy and lots of) version.

Italians eat very light, always fresh, balanced, small portions, and slowly. Does that sound like Angelo's??

By the way, Men's Health magazine rated Providence as the #1 Best Eating City in the nation (based on a "phobia against fast foods) with an A+. Houston was the nation's worst.

By the way, Men's Health magazine rated Providence as the #1 Best Eating City in the nation (based on a "phobia against fast foods) with an A+. Houston was the nation's worst.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I should probably start a thread on Providence media accolades or something, but while I'm thinking about... The Cable Car was mentioned in this week's Entertainment Weekly as one of the 10 best movie theatres in the country.

I should probably start a thread on Providence media accolades or something, but while I'm thinking about... The Cable Car was mentioned in this week's Entertainment Weekly as one of the 10 best movie theatres in the country.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ya gotta love those love seats!!! :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That might be good...articles, sports, arts, surveys, even TV and big-screen exposure. Providence is much better known and valued than most RIanders realize.

Ya gotta love those love seats!!!  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do theystill have those NASTY couches for seating?? I haven't been in there since I had a really bad allergy attack (i'm allergic to dust) from the seats. After about 10 minutes in there I thought they would have to haul me out on a gurney (no lie... I really couldn't breath and was weezing like an asthmatic).

Needless to say, I'll never go back.

Do theystill have those NASTY couches for seating??  I haven't been in there since I had a really bad allergy attack (i'm allergic to dust) from the seats.  After about 10 minutes in there I thought they would have to haul me out on a gurney (no lie... I really couldn't breath and was weezing like an asthmatic).

Needless to say, I'll never go back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, they still have the SAME SEATS!!!!!

Archived