Greensboro

SwedeHeart

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I go to college there (UNCG) and I like it.. I'm at home now in Charlotte though, but Greensboro is still a nice place to live. I like that traffic there isn't as bad as it is here and that it's not growing as fast as Charlotte and Raleigh are. They could use somethings though like a new mall on the northwest side... 2 more wal mart's are on the way for the east and south side. I'm sure you'll notice a lot of differences from 25 years ago. the downtown is starting to grow too adding some more residential areas.

... if they like living in Greensboro? What do you like about it? What do you dislike? My husband lived there 25 years ago and we are considering a move to that area. Any input would be appreciated.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It depends on what kind of an area you are looking for. Greensboro is the 3rd largest city in NC. Practically has just about everything Charlotte and Raliegh have when it comes to shopping and dining. Probably will see alot of growth over the next 10 years because of the Fed Ex hub locating at the airport. I just moved to downtown Greenboro last summer which is really starting to boom because of the city's revitilization efforts. I am not sure where you live know but real estate if alot more expensive in Greensboro, compared to High Point and Winston-Salem. I moved to Greensboro from Winston-Salem to be closer to family and friends and although Greensboro is larger than Winston, I fell like I am living in a smaller city because Greensboro does not have much of a skyline compared to Winston. Winston has a great skyline.

Right now we're living in southern Sweden, which is infinitely more expensive. Since my husband lived there and I don't know anything about it, I've been researching on the 'Net and so far I love what I see! Also, I have friends that live close to Greensboro - definitely a plus.

I will check out Winston-Salem too, but I think Hub has his heart set on Greensboro. :)

Thanks for replying.

Yea Greensboro's a great city to be at. It's a little sister of Raleigh and Charlotte, but yet it still has everything you need. As another fourmer mentioned, Greensboro feels more like a small town than a big city, but in my opinion thats a plus.

see my reply in the fisher park thread, also...

there are several really nice parks in greensboro, and as its name suggests, greensboro is a really lush, green place in the warrmer months. traffic is only really bad on west wendover at rush hour, and the cost of living is well below the national average. there are parts of greensboro that feel very young and college-y (college hill) and then places that are more subdued. (fisher park, irving park, western greensboro) a great place for shopping besides four seasons town center is friendly center.

Greensboro is a great place. There are plenty of parks. Downtown is on the rebound with its revitalization efforts that included a new downtown baseball stadium, Center-City Park, townhomes, condos, restaurants, nightclubs, entertainment, theater and there is more to come for the center-city. Greensboro has the qaulities of both a big city and a small town so you get the best of both worlds The city is not too big and its not too small. Greensboro is the entertainment hub of the Triad so if you are looking for those kind of qaulities, Greensboro is your place. The people here are nice and there is a great variety of restaurants and shopping. As far is that goes Greensboro has everything Charlotte and Raleigh has. I would definately recommend Greensboro because the pace of the city is not too fast but its not slow as a snail. Its just a great place to live. :)

Coming from Sweden, you should know that Greensboro is perhaps the city in NC that is most hostile to walking. You WILL drive everywhere; you have no choice.

Winston-Salem has several neighborhoods close to downtown and Old Salem (West End, Ardmore, etc) which are superior to just about everything in Greensboro, and are reasonably walkable.

Winston also seems to have better cultural opportunities (arts, music, etc), and slightly less expensive housing.

I used to live in the Triad, and if I had to move back, I'd head to Winston even if it meant a longer commute. Winston still has a soul- Greensboro has an airport and chain retail.

Good luck.

Coming from Sweden, you should know that Greensboro is perhaps the city in NC that is most hostile to walking.  You WILL drive everywhere; you have no choice.
With the exception of a few small pockets of density and pedestrian friendlyness in every city, all of North Carolina is hostile to walking. I find it hard to believe that Greensboro could possibly hold the title of "most hostile" all to itself.

Winston still has a soul- Greensboro has an airport and chain retail.
Come October, Greensboro will also have the coolest, largest train station north of Florida and south of Richmond. If you count the fact that it's a full-service intermodal facility then it's the best between the DC metro and South Florida. Now they just need for more trains to stop there...

Winston still has a soul- Greensboro has an airport and chain retail.

If everybody had the same attitude, it would ensure that Greensboro and Winston-Salem will forever maintain their place below the likes of Raleigh and Charlotte.

It's about time everyone grew up and started thinking of the region as a whole.

I rather enjoy myself in Greensboro, I think it has a lot to offer. It doesn't take anything away from Winston-Salem's charm either.

Greensboro is a great town. It offers a great quality of life and has many nice, older and younger neighborhoods. Some are even adjacent to downtown with side-walks and everything :rolleyes: . Truth is though, virtually all cities in the SE and most of the U.S. are heavily automobile-centric. You won't find anywhere here remotely like a Stockholm. But, the city has a very good road network and traffic really isn't that bad. Most of the housing in and around the Triad (this includes High Point and Winston-Salem) would be classified as suburban, however higher-density, more urban housing is slowly becoming more popular. There is a lot of interest these days in redeveloping downtown with building restoration projects, new housing, new commercial properties and entertainment venues like the First Horizon Park Baseball Stadium. If you prefer living in a more rural setting, you can still find homes and larger tracts of land available in the unincoorperated areas outside of the cities.

But my favorite thing about Greensboro is the people. The city has mostly held onto it's friendly southern-charm while at the same time it has seen a lot of people from other parts of the country, particularly the N.E., move in. Greensboro has a racially diverse population as well, particularly I think for a city it's size. I love living in a place where everyone doesn't look the same or do the same things. Overall I think Greensboro is a great place to live, a good place to raise a family, and a good future as well.

Archived