RSC Definitively Chosen

daniel nudnik

Condo-entertainment-retail complex wins OK for key downtown site

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

By Jim Harger

The Grand Rapids Press

GRAND RAPIDS -- City commissioners gave the green light Tuesday to a Chicago developer who wants to build 74 condominiums and a retail and entertainment complex on the former City Centre parking ramp site.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...43483784480.xml

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen anything. I am hoping we'll see some better renderings soon. The rendering they presented to the commission looked like a doodle. I do have a lot of confidence in the Architectural firm. My only hope is that they take some of the ideas presented by this forum and incorporate them (if not in design, in spirit). Make it a little bigger, add some more uses, etc. It will be interesting. I heard 2008 for a completion date. I was hoping for something sooner, but it is better than a CVS... :)

Joe

does anyone have any official press from rsc? floorplans, prices, etc?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Riz,

Metropolitan Center was given to the mayor, who in turn was supposed to show it to the chosen developer and other city commissioners. I don't know whether this actually happened, but Heartwell seems like a man of his word.

Joe

^ That is if they surf the urbanplanet forums...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 3 weeks later...

My bad. In that case RSC should be taller people, I can't stress that enough!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You might get your wish Rizzo. Article in GR Press last week:

New ramps recommended

Beyond those short-term solutions, the study also recommends adding 200 public spaces to the retail/condominium project that is being proposed for the southwest corner of Fulton Street and Division Avenue.

The study also recommended the city build a 1,000-space parking ramp for $15 million to $18 million near the Van Andel Arena and Western Michigan University's new downtown campus.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...30258160920.xml

If I am not mistaken, isn't the parking for the RSC plan underneath the residential portion, or is it to the side? 200 spaces would probably jack it up at least a couple of floors I would imagine.

It will be interesting to see where they build the new ramp near the Arena. Corner of Cherry and Ionia? That would be too bad if so, because those lots to the South of Sierra Room down to Oakes would make for great infill B)

Rockford Construction has the rights to those lots in a landswap agreement from a few years back. God don't let them mess up Ionia by putting a big giant ramp on it. Maybe south near Design +, but keep it further away from the Arena...

You might get your wish Rizzo.  Article in GR Press last week:

New ramps recommended

Beyond those short-term solutions, the study also recommends adding 200 public spaces to the retail/condominium project that is being proposed for the southwest corner of Fulton Street and Division Avenue.

The study also recommended the city build a 1,000-space parking ramp for $15 million to $18 million near the Van Andel Arena and Western Michigan University's new downtown campus.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...30258160920.xml

If I am not mistaken, isn't the parking for the RSC plan underneath the residential portion, or is it to the side?  200 spaces would probably jack it up at least a couple of floors I would imagine.

It will be interesting to see where they build the new ramp near the Arena.  Corner of Cherry and Ionia?  That would be too bad if so, because those lots to the South of Sierra Room down to Oakes would make for great infill B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rockford Construction has the rights to those lots in a landswap agreement from a few years back. God don't let them mess up Ionia by putting a big giant ramp on it. Maybe south near Design +, but keep it further away from the Arena...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it is possible to build a ramp, why not just build several levels of underground parking? If a ramp is built on that site, I hope they, at the very least, have the sense to use the first 2 levels for retail and office space.

You said it, urbanist. Using street-level space for parking would not only be unsightly, it would destroy the appeal of the site and the compromise the long-term viability of the businesses in the building. Cars aren't the reason to build downtown - streetlife is!

If it is possible to build a ramp, why not just build it several levels of underground parking? If a ramp is built on that site, I hope they, at the very least, have the sense to use the firat 2 levels for retail and office space.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it is possible to build a ramp, why not just build it several levels of underground parking? If a ramp is built on that site, I hope they, at the very least, have the sense to use the firat 2 levels for retail and office space.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's financially unfeasable. I was involved in the design of a parking garage in Georgia some years ago. The cost to build in the ground was 7 times more then building up out of the ground. This is why you don't see too many below grade parking ramps.

Nitro

Archived