Visions For Atlanta

ironchapman

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see intown continue to grow population wise. Atlanta seems to be on the right track with the large number of multi-family homes (condos) being built from Buckhead to Downtown. In fact, many new developments sold out during pre-selling stages.

With denser population, you will find more ammenities and services for the intown crowd. And the city will likely reap the tax benefits and hopefully improve infrastructure/transit much quicker.

With the denser population intown, companies may decide to bring more offices and HQ intown rather than going out to the suburbs. This could help fill in the gaps in the skyline between downtown, midtown and buckhead.

I am closing on a home intown in 2 weeks. I chose to purchase in Ormewood Park area. Ormewood Park, Grant Park and East Atlanta are growing at a steady rate.. interms of nice homes a quality of life.. much like Midtown has in the last 10 years, and Downtown in the last few years.

I would like to see this trend continue in other areas which seem "shady" including: Castleberry Hill area, the former Grady Homes area. Castleberry Hill is getting an influx of the bohemian kind, as artists and galleries move into the area, which will is slowly shifting that area to the "light".

Since Grady Homes shutdown awhile back, it has just sat there and decayed. I would like to see someone demolish it and put something worth while.. a park, shopping, high-rises.. something, anything is better than seeing that place sitting there... just level the place and let grass grow on it... please DO NOT MAKE IT A PARKING LOT. It is sad to drive by such a decrepid part of atlanta.

I am closing on a home intown in 2 weeks. I chose to purchase in Ormewood Park area. Ormewood Park, Grant Park and East Atlanta are growing at a steady rate.. interms of nice homes a quality of life.. much like Midtown has in the last 10 years, and Downtown in the last few years.

I would like to see this trend continue in other areas which seem "shady" including: Castleberry Hill area, the former Grady Homes area. Castleberry Hill is getting an influx of the bohemian kind, as artists and galleries move into the area, which will is slowly shifting that area to the "light".

Since Grady Homes shutdown awhile back, it has just sat there and decayed. I would like to see someone demolish it and put something worth while.. a park, shopping, high-rises.. something, anything is better than seeing that place sitting there... just level the place and let grass grow on it... please DO NOT MAKE IT A PARKING LOT. It is sad to drive by such a decrepid part of atlanta.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you're talking about Capital Homes on Memorial Dr, it is being redeveloped: (scroll to the bottom) http://www.urbanrealtypartners.net/recentprojects.html

Also Grady Homes will be torn down as well & redeveloped similarly.

But welcome to the neighborhood cstivers - I live in northeast Grant Park. Looked at a couple of homes in Ormewood but it was certainly a consideration.

I think you're talking about Capital Homes on Memorial Dr, it is being redeveloped:  (scroll to the bottom) http://www.urbanrealtypartners.net/recentprojects.html

Also Grady Homes will be torn down as well & redeveloped similarly.

But welcome to the neighborhood cstivers - I live in northeast Grant Park.  Looked at a couple of homes in Ormewood but it was certainly a consideration.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for correcting me :thumbsup: . The location is exactly what I was talking about. I mistakenly thought it was grady homes :huh: ... none the less, I would love to see work begin on those run down projects... especially since I will end up riding by them everyday on the bus to and from work. :)

Thanks for correcting me  :thumbsup: . The location is exactly what I was talking about. I mistakenly thought it was grady homes  :huh: ... none the less, I would love to see work begin on those run down projects... especially since I will end up riding by them everyday on the bus to and from work.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The 21! :thumbsup:

I admit my wife drops me off at the MARTA station (or at work) on her way out in her car. But I take 21 or 18 sometimes.

I'll tell you one thing that would have been nice to see downtown, provided enough money was found to do so and enough tenants signed up.

It would have been nice if that 614 meter Atlanta Tower had been built back in the 1980's.

Atlanta needs an architectural landmark to help it stand out...

Maybe a 1500 feet skyscraper capped off with a giant 100ft statue of Atlanta's most famous residents... Aqua Team Hunger Force! (Adult Swim feature on Cartoon Network) That way when you go to a foreign land, like NYC, and tell them you are from atlanta, they will be like "Oh, you are from the city with the giant meat wad building" :rofl:

OR

If Donald Trump REALLY wants to rebuild the former World Trade Center towers, he is welcome to build it on top of Capital Homes.

SERIOUSLY

I am not sure Atlanta needs any great architectural landmark. Tokyo is a major world city and everyone I asked can't seem to think of any architectural or cultural landmark of the city... same for hong kong, or berlin.

I will like to see downtown, midtown, and buckhead skyline connect

:lol:

I would like to see downtown, midtown, buckhead and sandy springs/dunwoody skylines combined! Also I would love to see high density retail and residential in the city, up through sandy springs/dunwoody.

I'm not an Atlantan, but I visit the city often and personally think Atlanta's downtown streets are TOO narrow. I don't know what they can do to improve this, but I do know that one needs to be really careful when driving in DT Atlanta as it is very easy to hit the car you're driving next to.

I think what Atlanta needs, other than increased art/cultural amneties, is better transportation options. You will never get people outta thier cars, the goal, so the experts say, is to offer a choice to gridlock or movement. Would Atlanta really consider a high tech "monorail" type thing moving around downtown and hitting large residential areas? One of those ultra modern things like Dubai or some Japanese cities have? And they also need light rail connecting between suburbs, but I think this is on the table already.

I think what Atlanta needs, other than increased art/cultural amneties, is better transportation options. You will never get people outta thier cars, the goal, so the experts say, is to offer a choice to gridlock or movement. Would Atlanta really consider a high tech "monorail" type thing moving around downtown and hitting large residential areas? One of those ultra modern things like Dubai or some Japanese cities have? And they also need light rail connecting between suburbs, but I think this is on the table already.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is exactly right. Atlanta is moving in the right direction with the "beltline" project, abuot which we have another thread. It will add some light rail to the area. I personally don't like monorails as they seem tacky and not at all practical. :) Rail connections to the suburbs is something I have been saying for a while. I agree with you, and I think the future of rail in Atlanta will depend on that.

What are the ultra modern things that Dubai and Japan have?

I think SOME monorails are OK, as long as they are modern and sleek and not the amusement park things. On the Dubai thread, there was some sort of rail transit that looked elevated, but not those big hulking elevated rails we have here, just smaller and less metal. Maybe that is a monorail too, I'm not sure... The Japanese, I think, have a different kind of above ground train too. I'm not sure what it's called, but I remember being on a website that a visitor to Japan had taken, with photos. It was a small light rail train looking thing, but with no overhead wires, and looked somewhat similar to the Senator's subway thing in DC... A crowded urban environment needs something that doesn't take up valuable land... I wish I could find that website, but I can't seem to... Maybe just mistaking it for lightrail.

I think one thing that should be done to increase pedestrian traffic downtown is to expand the sidewalks. There are too many streets where there will be 5 lanes for cars, and 4 feet of sidewalk on each side! More pedestrian-friendly cities have at least double that!

I think one thing that should be done to increase pedestrian traffic downtown is to expand the sidewalks.  There are too many streets where there will be 5 lanes for cars, and 4 feet of sidewalk on each side!  More pedestrian-friendly cities have at least double that!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is exactly right. Who wants to walk on a sidewalk when you are 2 feet from traffic going 35-45mph? I don't. In addition to wider sidewalks you need some sort of buffer like a line of trees to separate the people from the traffic. In many cases though, there is no need to do this because nobody walks on the streets.

I totally forgot about the narrow sidewalks!! Thanks for reminding me. Atlanta has never been renown for being a walkable city, but that's the problem! I am caught up in the "Atlanta Time Machine" link I found farther down the list, and I am just shocked at the changes. But I am more shocked by the busy streets in the 50's, and the empty ones today. I wonder if it's because people drive 1/2 mile instead of walking it nowadays, or if it's because Atlanta still hasn't managed a lively downtown return to glory days. From the looks of things, it appears sidewalks were sacrificed for wider streets, and that is the opposite to urban living. How can there be bustling sidealks with open air cafes and sidewalk stands and stopping to chat, etc..? They did do well with the trees, though, I must say. That makes it a beautiful city. I hope they are on thier way to a more urban lifestyle, and I am happy for them.

I would like to see a really large park connected to the new Beltway Project. A park with a 10 acre lake in the center would be great. Make it very urban around the ring to encourage a live, work and play environment. Make sure it would include a nice museum. The area near the Carter Center would be great or maybe an area near the Howell Mill Rd area so it could tie in to the Cumberland/Galleria Area.

That's my vision.

Archived