Visions For Atlanta

ironchapman

I think Atlanta would do well to expand it's largest park and add some museums and sculptures and maybe some kind of open air theater or something. I think it needs more bike trails and so forth also. If no monorail is possible, I guess just expand MARTA within the city. If Cobb and Gwinnett simply refuse altogether to let MARTA expand to them, I think they should be compelled to build thier own light rail/bus transit. I think America builds roads all wrong anyway. Highways should be used to move traffic ONLY. To bypass cities ONLY. There should be few turnoffs. Instead we use them as an excuse to develop. Development should occur far from the new roadways, in my opinion. I think that's the south's ultimate problem.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Atlanta would do well to expand it's largest park and add some museums and sculptures and maybe some kind of open air theater or something. I think it needs more bike trails and so forth also. If no monorail is possible, I guess just expand MARTA within the city. If Cobb and Gwinnett simply refuse altogether to let MARTA expand to them, I think they should be compelled to build thier own light rail/bus transit. I think America builds roads all wrong anyway. Highways should be used to move traffic ONLY. To bypass cities ONLY. There should be few turnoffs. Instead we use them as an excuse to develop. Development should occur far from the new roadways, in my opinion. I think that's the south's ultimate problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm hoping the Belt Line will provide some possibilities for expanded park space (especially on the west side of the city). But I definitely agree with you - Atlanta needs more museums & sculptures. I am envious of parks such as City Park in New Orleans & Balboa Park in San Diego that fuse park space with museums & art. But Piedmont Park had that opportunity, but they tore down the art museum that was part of the Cotton Expo of the late 1800's.

I think it's stupid and Extreme for putting, "banned for being an idiot" under someones posts. I think that should be taken down. I've seen his posts, they don't seem idiotic, they just add a bit more "imagination" to the site. But back to my post, I want to see Atlanta rise to be a city that people wish they could go to. like I WISH i could go to L.A. while it's summer time, I want people to WISH they could come to atlanta. Not JUST african americans ( so i've heard ) but everyone.

what is that supposed to mean???? Im not chris, i just THink its wrong to put the word idiot under somebody's posts. I thought this was a mature sight where we can discuss mature things like mature people, not calling people idiots.

I think that as Atlanta grows, and gets bigger and bigger, everything will fall into place. Don't rush it, it comes. Rome wasn't built in a day, and New York didn't get everything it has quickly. It took decades and more. Remember Atlanta is a young city. It is younger than some of it's suburbs. I believe, now that it is becomming a music center, and a center for the "hip" crowd, and as it keeps gaining cultural amenities, it will be what they, and we, all dream it will be. It oozes history, and it was immortalized in Gone With the Wind (the best, or second best selling book of all time next to the Bible). It will gain the world's attention someday. The Olympics helped tremendously.

I think it's stupid and Extreme for putting, "banned for being an idiot" under someones posts.  I think that should be taken down. I've seen his posts, they don't seem idiotic,  they just add a bit more "imagination" to the site. But back to my post, I want to see Atlanta rise to be a city that people wish they could go to. like I WISH i could go to L.A. while it's summer time, I want people to WISH they could come to atlanta. Not JUST african americans ( so i've heard ) but everyone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^ It seems Chris has taken on a new identity.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what is that supposed to mean???? Im not chris, i just THink its wrong to put the word idiot under somebody's posts. I thought this was a mature sight where we can discuss mature things like mature people, not calling people idiots.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To clarify this matter I will say this: He was an idiot. It is a fact. He created a second identity and promptly (and blatantly) began bashing the admins of this site- which is a very, very stupid thing to do. Having multiple identities is an instant ban in itself. Only an idiot would do that.

Well that is an idiotic thing to do, but I am 100% not Chris. + I never bashed any administrators And in a technical way you called me stupid. ( which I do not appreciate ).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You read to much into what I said. I was not implying anythign about you. We know you aren't Chris. No worries. :D

Just curious,

What does A219724 stand for?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is a corporate ID #. ^_^

It's easy to remember. I have soooo many numbers and passwords these days, I try and use numbers for sites like this so as to not forget. Aren't we all just a number anyways....

:P

• 2 weeks later...

some things, in no order of preference whatsoever.

curbside recycling. I'd like to see it actively encouraged - ie, recycle more or pay more for trash hauling. In the suburbs, inner burbs, and cities.

serious cleanup of roadways. I'm embarassed at the level of trash, cig butts, various debris that litters are our intersections and highways.

more greenery. Add much more greenery to expressways and everywhere possible. Create community garden plots for small gardens. Many cities have ideas in this area, some have been used.

crime. Number one reason I'm avoiding the areas of Decatur and other in-town hoods. Much much more police presence to fix the problems and attact more folks in-town. As a single adult with a child, crime is very important to me. Fixing some of these real sore spots (prostitutes, drugs, vagrants) in these neigbhorhood would change the inner core, and overall Atlanta.

aquarium. We've needed this for a long time. :)

family friendliness. Atlanta needs to concentrate more on making the city as family friendly as possible. Alpharetta has many options available to family, but we all know Alpharetta's issues. I'm talking about community groups for the kids, afterschool activities, swim clubs, community sports, etc. Nice, safe, clean parks. (no needles in the sandboxes, my dear.)

racial tensions. These issues are still alive and well in Atlanta, unfortunately. Some teachers have recently been quoted as remarking that all black problems in society are due to white folks. I'm not sure of the solution for this, but surely some outreach and social programs could help folks see they can get along. I'm concerned about the growing level of reverse racism, too. One of the big things that might help is to get rid of the government folk that hold these racist (either reverse or not) beliefs out of office and out of the public eye.

pedestrian friendly. Bigger roads, real sidewalks, bike lanes, etc.

Overall, I'd like to see Atlanta focus more and fixing it's current problems than developing more and more. We need to slow down more, fix, and then speed back up. It doesn't generate as much revenue for the developers, though. :(

Overall, I'd like to see Atlanta focus more and fixing it's current problems than developing more and more.  We need to slow down more, fix, and then speed back up.  It doesn't generate as much revenue for the developers, though.  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nor does it generate as much tax revenue for the city, btw. I think both (growth and fixing problems) can and in fact are being done at the same time.

As someone who, that until this past month, had to sit in Atlanta grid-lock traffic for several hours every day... my vision for Atlanta would be the satellite counties of the metro get off their collective butts and either adopt MARTA or an adjoining public mass-transit system. Traffic grid-lock is the over-riding problem in the Atlanta metro, and this could NOT hurt.

It is argued that Atlantans will never give up the freedom that their cars provide. I believe that as the traffic continues to get worse, people will finally have enough and demand these alternatives. Why couldn't (especially the north metro counties of Cobb and Gwinnett) adopt a 1 cent sales tax to extend MARTA or a similar system up 75 & 85 respectively? Put a station and a parking deck at every other interstate exit from the perimeter up to Glade Road (exit 278) on 75 and the Mall of GA (exit 115) on 85. Run the lines right down the middle of the interstates a la GA 400 in Fulton, and call it a day.

I know I can't be the only one thinking this. I may be out of the grid-lock with my new job, but it doesn't mean that I don't still want it scaled down to managable levels. The current amount of cars on our northern interstates just paralize us.

• 2 weeks later...

I am from an extremely small town in Georgia(maybe 2000 people). I am at school at Ga Tech in Atlanta. To me Atlanta is great, except the traffic. Its almost like your not in a big city, but you are. Maybe its cause I'm on campus and everythings nice and quiet, but Atlanta is not like a big city and I think thats its biggest selling point. One thing I wish Atlanta would consider is honoring the Civil War more. Its history just the same as MLK is.

Perhaps that person is reffering to the Battle of Atlanta - which was one of the most costliest battles of the Civil War. Of course I do like park space - so that would be great to have a park, but it's all developed (in fact I live on the edge of the battle) - most of it built 100 years ago.

Otherwise I don't know what you mean by honoring, how? Also remember - Atlanta has been predominately Black since 1970 - as Krazeeboi can attest, why would a Black person want to honor those that enslaved them? Just being realistic....

^My point exactly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While the south did some things that weren't exactly "right." We should still honor the confederacy for expressing for what they thought was "right." I am not saying that slavery was right i'm just saying that I respect people who stand up for what they beleive.

Archived