Your Favorite GA Small Towns

ironchapman

• 2 months later...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sandersville is definitely a small town postcard kind of place. But it does have its perks. It's close to Louisville, the former capital...close to Warthen, the site of the Aaron Burr jail, and the county is the Kaolin Capital of the world. Kaolin being a chalk substance used in magazines to make the covers glossy, and also in china. The historic homes are really nice and there's even a historical museum where Sherman supposedly slept while on his march. Overall, the town has a charming atmosphere. :)

That's interesting. Sounds like a neat place to visit. I didn't know about Louisville being the former capital

Though I'm a bit rusty in that area, I believe it was capital before Milledgeville (which preceded Atlanta) was. Beautiful town.

Welcome to the forum, CherryGlacier! :)

Though I'm a bit rusty in that area, I believe it was capital before Milledgeville (which preceded Atlanta) was. Beautiful town.

Welcome to the forum, CherryGlacier! :)

You're right. So, Sandersville is right there in the center. Louisville is close and then Milledgeville is about a 30 minute drive down Hwy 24. The best of both worlds.

Thanks for the welcome! :D

• 1 month later...

LaGrange

This little city has by far the most charming downtown I've seen in the state and really is the epitome of a nice southern town. It's a bit bigger than the others, but this town overlooked from I-85 is quite surprising and West Point Lake enhances it.

LaGrange has been malled, suburbanized, mcmansioned and wal-marted over the last 30 years, with predictable results in the old commercial center. In addition, it appears a sprawl tsunami (albeit fairly high quality sprawl) is rolling down I-85 and will soon crash ashore.

Thanks largely to the largesse of its civic benefactor, the Callaway Foundation, LaGrange is making a serious attempt to bring its attractive (but flagging) downtown back to life. Let's wish them well.

From the LaGrange Daily News (12/11/2005):

Five years ago, LaGrange residents turned out for a series of public meetings to share their vision and hopes for the city

Archived