Wendell Cox

Recchia

Okay, so in my boredom I've stumbled across Wendell Cox's website, www.publicpurpose.com I've heard him mentioned before in this forum, and was wondering everyone's opinion of him. Although I didn't find his articles about smart growth not working, transit being a failure and too costly, etc. too convincing, I was wondering what others have to say to hopefully rebut him.

P.S. Cotuit, is this more of an "urban discussion" topic?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate the guy, I have no problem if someone thinks rail is too expensive but I do have a problem when they distort the facts to make rail look bad. He conveniently chooses not to include certain crucial facts and logic from his "findings." In addition to rail he also tries to discredit smart growth and urbanism. Its interesting to note who his supporters are: oil, auto, trucking, highway interests

That site contains some of the most distored information I have ever read. In that light, I send Mr. Cox a love note telling him where he could stick his pen after he's finished writing his trash. There is clearly no use to arguing the point with a retard like that. I wonder if he'll write back?

I cant say I have a very positive outlook on Mr. Cox - however I do enjoy the topic actually hope that a sub forum could be put together so we could discuss more of the public figures that are investing in our city, some quick one's that come to mind would Buff Chase, Proctaconey, the Warf guy, and Misolla. Also have a sub forum with these folks all having a topic could be helpful to me as I put together my site (sorry I'm self serving). Another beneficial aspect could be politicians who are running for office. I don

Mij, I can see your point. It is hard to keep track of development projects, but UP helps with that. But it is still hard keeping track of the people behind the projects, to be sure that their motivations are clear and on the surface. There are a lot of players in this town, and I for one would like to know how they get a project on the table, find investors, get variances, etc... It is very interesting stuff, almost as interesting as the project itself. Plus, it would be a good way to guage which players might just want the media coverage, judging by their track record on coming through with their promises.

Mij, I can see your point. It is hard to keep track of development projects, but UP helps with that. But it is still hard keeping track of the people behind the projects, to be sure that their motivations are clear and on the surface. There are a lot of players in this town, and I for one would like to know how they get a project on the table, find investors, get variances, etc... It is very interesting stuff, almost as interesting as the project itself. Plus, it would be a good way to guage which players might just want the media coverage, judging by their track record on coming through with their promises.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess I would just like to no more then the height and profile of the project, as you said the behind the sceen stuff is what i would rather be informed of.

Archived