Carolina Place Mall

well as a lof of you know, Carolina Place Mall has plans to expand and add Barnes & Noble and REI Sporting Goods, and 2 restaurant pads. Add to that list Linens 'N Things (which is also currently located in the Centrum across the street where the current Barnes Noble is).

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...1/tidbits1.html

The mall could grow as much as 180,000 square feet.

Chicago-based owner General Growth Properties is laying the groundwork for the $20 million addition.

The expansion, characterized by retail watchers as an "open-air market," is expected to include a pair of two-level retail stores, as well as an enlarged food court and more restaurant space.

I'm wondering where they will expand to? unless they just take up some surface parking and add decks to replace that, exciting though. Thats the general area I live in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's an empty anchor pad directly in front of Sears facing Carolina Place Parkway. It had been saved for a sixth department store until now.

This is such a plain dated mall that I don't ever see any reason to go there.  (not to mention being a beotch to get to)  I guess they are feeling the heat to expand to make the place more appealing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I might go there once a year as an out-of-towner (If I'm going to make the drive, I prefer SouthPark) but there's nothing wrong with Carolina Place. It's got a decent layout, and though it's now a little worn around the edges, it's a very pretty mall that's getting better stores all the time. It seems to be quite popular. I've never seen it truly empty.

The main thing it lacked was that extra bit of "oomph" (for lack of a better term) to make it stand out in the marketplace. This may do it. At the very least, Pineville will get a replacement for that really ghetto Barnes & Noble at the Centrum and an REI out of it.

Its awesome that REI will be added!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. I'll bet the southpark folks have a bit of egg on their face for being anchored by Dick's!. At least the fancy galyan's store design was kept.

We avoid the pineville area as much as possible, but we do go down there if we need a jcpenneys. It isn't a terrible mall, but it is rather unexciting. Traffic patterns are an absolute joke down there. Freeway has only 4 lanes (bothways), Main street/south blvd has only 2 lanes. And all 485 mall traffic must turn LEFT to get to the mall, which causes congestion on 51, so as a result they have widened 51 so much that it only adds to the problems.

I think the mall show help pay for Centrum parkway to be extended to south boulevard to help alleviate some of the traffic.

Traffic patterns are an absolute joke down there.  Freeway has only 4 lanes (bothways), Main street/south blvd has only 2 lanes.  And all 485 mall traffic must turn LEFT to get to the mall, which causes congestion on 51, so as a result they have widened 51 so much that it only adds to the problems. 

I think the mall show help pay for Centrum parkway to be extended to south boulevard to help alleviate some of the traffic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree: the traffic flow from 485 is ridiculous. Usually I'll get on 521 South off 485 and loop around through Pineville to 51 to avoid that exit.

I never thought about extending Centum Parkway to 521, but it would actually work pretty well, as well as open up a few more acres for development between The Centrum and South Boulevard.

REI is definitely high quality merchandise. I am surprised that it didn't go in at South Park instead.

So are they gonna move the Barnes and Noble over from across 51?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Barnes & Noble AND Linens 'N Things will move from across the street and close their stores in the Centrum.

REI didn't go to SouthPark, because the store was originally suppoed to be a Galyan's then Galyan's was bought by Dick's.

Barnes & Noble AND Linens 'N Things will move from across the street and close their stores in the Centrum.

REI didn't go to SouthPark, because the store was originally suppoed to be a Galyan's then Galyan's was bought by Dick's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea too bad Dick's sells crappy stuff. I count the days until REI comes here.

Now people, Dick's is not that bad. They sell quality items, just not as nice or as expensive as REI.  Not everyone can afford $80 pants.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would rather pay 25% more for a quality item than wasting my money on crap, then having to buy a second item to replace the original POS.

I used to be a manager at the South Park location. It was miserable. The return/defective rate rivaled Walmart. Almost everything they sold was sweatshop made crap.

Yeah.....Jesse Brown's is great. They actually have two stores here.....I think they are only in Charlotte though. They have a big one near SouthPark that has everything under the sun, and then a small one up by UNCC that I've only been in a few times, but they have some kayaks up there which is pretty sweet.......anyway, they kick all the chain stores asses because you end up talking to someone who at least seems to have gone outside..........lol, that ended up sounding like a commercial.

I think it's odd that REI would go to Carolina Place....though they are pulling B&N and Linens 'N Things from across the street, though I've heard some of the high end retailers will end up leaving to go to Ballantyne Village.