Carolina Place Mall

17 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

I don’t think CP has as bright of a future as Southpoint does, a look at their current tenant list speaks for itself. 

I agree but plenty of apartments could be built there maybe a hotel maybe some entertainment like a bowling alley or something.  Last time I went there full of SC plated cars. 

• Like 1

Nationwide, Gymboree & Crazy 8 are closing all locations.  This will leave 2 empty spots at CP.  Charlotte Russe is closing 100 stores nationwide also, but CP is not one of them.   I can't understand why they haven't been able to find new tenants.  Seems like they are struggling.  That is such a great location.  Only one exit away from Ballantyne and one exit away from I-77.  They need to get their sh*t together.  

47 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

Nationwide, Gymboree & Crazy 8 are closing all locations.  This will leave 2 empty spots at CP.  Charlotte Russe is closing 100 stores nationwide also, but CP is not one of them.   I can't understand why they haven't been able to find new tenants.  Seems like they are struggling.  That is such a great location.  Only one exit away from Ballantyne and one exit away from I-77.  They need to get their sh*t together.  

There haven't been many vacant spots to fill at CP with new tenants and the empty spots are narrow and require a niche store. Aerie (the intimates and swim suit store for American Eagle) opened not that long ago next to JCPenny and Congas Cuban Restaurant opened at the entrance across from Breakout. I was there last week to stop by Dillard's and they still had one small vacant location on Floor 1 and one on Floor 2. Other than that it is full besides the closed Sears. They lined up Dick's and Golf Galaxy to replace the Macy's and construction is well on its way and I'm sure they are working on what to do with the Sears now that it has closed. Personally, the tenant mix isn't my favorite, but the owners have kept the interior portion of the mall 95%+ full.

When you compare the 2 vacant spots + Sears at CP to the 17 vacant spots at Northlake Mall, it doesn't seem that bad for a regional mall. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

There haven't been many vacant spots to fill at CP with new tenants and the empty spots are narrow and require a niche store. Aerie (the intimates and swim suit store for American Eagle) opened not that long ago next to JCPenny and Congas Cuban Restaurant opened at the entrance across from Breakout. I was there last week to stop by Dillard's and they still had one small vacant location on Floor 1 and one on Floor 2. Other than that it is full besides the closed Sears. They lined up Dick's and Golf Galaxy to replace the Macy's and construction is well on its way and I'm sure they are working on what to do with the Sears now that it has closed. Personally, the tenant mix isn't my favorite, but the owners have kept the interior portion of the mall 95%+ full.

When you compare the 2 vacant spots + Sears at CP to the 17 vacant spots at Northlake Mall, it doesn't seem that bad for a regional mall. 

There’s actually 6 empty spots and an anchor pad empty at Carolina Place not including the two stores closing. 

Edited by TheOneRJ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the process of closing or have already closed:

Payless Shoes

Gymboree

Charlotte Russe

Great Wraps

Sears

Openings:

Cinnabon (which used to be in the mall but left, and now opened again upstairs)

Aerie (again, used to be in the mall, left and now they reopened)

Dick's Sporting Goods/Golf Galaxy 

Some random Cookie Dough store (not sure if this will last)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2019 at 8:35 AM, KJHburg said:

Brookfield Properties owner of Carolina Place Mall also owns North Point Mall in Alpharetta north of Atlanta.  They are doing this there and this could be the future model for Carolina Place too

""Mall owner Brookfield Property Partners L.P is expected to go before Alpharetta’s design review board on Sept. 12.  The project will remake the former Sears department store into 300 apartments and 24,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space, creating a more engaging entrance to the suburban mall.   Plans show three multifamily buildings surrounding a park and three large freestanding restaurants. Other features include a concert and event lawn, rock climbing wall, fountain, play area, pickle ball court, and bocce ball court.""   from the Atlanta Business Chronicle 

Carolina Place has a vacant anchor spot in the form of Sears too.  I think a mixed used development here is in the cards in the future especially with the possibility of LYNX but even without that this will happen in my thoughts. 

Turning the old Sears spot into a mixed-use spot would be genius, especially if a light rail station is incorporated into its design. I wonder how many malls in America have a transit station connected to it? 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

JC Penney is now circling the drain. Would be be second empty anchor at Carolina Place. Is anything happening in the Sears space?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-jc-penney-bankruptcy-exclusive/exclusive-j-c-penney-explores-bankruptcy-as-hopes-for-recovery-fade-sources-idUSKCN21W34W

Edited by kermit

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Brookfield Properties owner of Carolina Place Mall has announced another redevelopment of one of their malls again in the ATL metro at Cumberland Mall.  They previously added apartments and more outdoor accessible retail at North Point Mall in Alpharetta.  From the ATL Biz Chronicle

""The Cobb County Board of Commissioners have given the go-ahead to rezoning for Brookfield Properties' planned redevelopment of 17.29 acres of the Cumberland Mall property in the Cobb-Galleria area.  The proposed redevelopment would transform a sea of surface parking around the Dick's Sporting Goods store end of the mall, where Sears was the former anchor, into a mixed-use town center with office and apartment towers. Plans call for one 19-story and one 10-story office tower totaling 445,000 square feet, 312 apartment homes and 31,200 square feet of new restaurants and stores, as well as public amenities including a county fire station and a county bus terminal/transfer station with at least 10 bus bays and at least a 500-space parking deck.""

Cumberland Mall like Carolina Place mall is not on the main transit train lines.  I think they will knock over Sears and redevelop the 485 side of the mall in the future for they are doing it in Atlanta. It is just a matter of time.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Brookfield Properties owner of Carolina Place Mall has announced another redevelopment of one of their malls again in the ATL metro at Cumberland Mall.  They previously added apartments and more outdoor accessible retail at North Point Mall in Alpharetta.  From the ATL Biz Chronicle

""The Cobb County Board of Commissioners have given the go-ahead to rezoning for Brookfield Properties' planned redevelopment of 17.29 acres of the Cumberland Mall property in the Cobb-Galleria area.  The proposed redevelopment would transform a sea of surface parking around the Dick's Sporting Goods store end of the mall, where Sears was the former anchor, into a mixed-use town center with office and apartment towers. Plans call for one 19-story and one 10-story office tower totaling 445,000 square feet, 312 apartment homes and 31,200 square feet of new restaurants and stores, as well as public amenities including a county fire station and a county bus terminal/transfer station with at least 10 bus bays and at least a 500-space parking deck.""

Cumberland Mall like Carolina Place mall is not on the main transit train lines.  I think they will knock over Sears and redevelop the 485 side of the mall in the future for they are doing it in Atlanta. It is just a matter of time.  

But it is very close to the new Braves baseball park - which has injected new life (pre-Covid) into that area.  From visiting friends there and being around Cumberland Mall, this will just make this area of 285/75 more dense.

• Like 2

Just now, JRNYP2C said:

But it is very close to the new Braves baseball park - which has injected new life (pre-Covid) into that area.  From visiting friends there and being around Cumberland Mall, this will just make this area of 285/75 more dense.

It is and I will be there next week however I think what they did at North Point with adding apartments is a good possibility  and I would not take office out of the consideration as Ballantyne is the next exit down and along 485 where Sears is has very high visibility.  Adding a town center outside retail and dining could be very successful at CP.   Truist Park has definitely put a fire on the Cumberland Galleria area of NW Atlanta.  You know my favorite Tex Mex restaurant that is from Atlanta has a location there at the Battery. 

• Like 2

I do wonder what the prospects for TOD on mall property are. You could probably build something out of the parking lots near the abandoned anchor pads.

The DC Metro services 2 malls directly (Pentagon City, Tysons I) and then there are a bunch of stations that aren't directly connected to the mall but are similar to Marta and Lenox where you have to cross a street. Honestly with retail as it is I can't see transit at this stage being a mall's saving grace.

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2020 at 8:17 AM, CLT2014 said:

Not actually located in Carolina Place, but the Centrum shopping center across the street (with the Home Depot) is about to be a complete ghost town. Catherine's is currently having an out of business sale due to Athena Group's bankruptcy and now Stein Mart is also shutting down and will be closing their 300 stores (outside of Pineville there are 4 other Stein Mart's in the area in Mooresville, Concord, Matthews, and South CLT / Providence Plantation area). The giant K-Mart pad is still empty with few options to fill it as Target and Walmart both have stores nearby (maybe a grocery would work here?)

Seems like it would make sense to do additional consolidation over to Carolina Place Mall rather than have two dying shopping centers. Just like Dick's and Golf Galaxy moved across the street, Carolina Place could recruit the Best Buy and Guitar Center to fill empty spots at the mall and then the Centrum could move towards a complete redevelopment. 

Stein Mart demise: https://journalnow.com/business/the-briefcase-bankrupt-stein-mart-plans-to-close-most-stores/article_3cce223a-dcc0-11ea-a598-bfaf32268bab.html 

Jason’s Deli and Subway are now gone. The place is almost deserted now. I’m wondering if Best Buy is next? Like you said, going to Carolina Place might be their best option, and the Centrum needs to be redeveloped, especially since a light rail stop will be nearby.