Carolina Place Mall

this will cause quite a bit extra traffic, i believe. hopefully they can get the mall to chip in for some transportation improvements.

My drothers, as also written in the 485 thread:

- Add a separate exit for park road on the other side of the mall. possibly for exiting the freeway only.

- connect centrum parkway to south boulevard, across little sugar creek from petsmart.

- widen Lancaster Highway between Ballantyne Commons Pkwy and Carolina Place Parkway.

- Possibly widen Park Road between Carolina Place Pkwy and Pineville-Matthews.

Both 51 and 485 need bypass/alternatives in order to help recreate a grid/redundancy to the road network around pineville. the fact that only a 2 lane road provides an alternative to 485 is a significant reason for the traffic bottlenecks. Even when you want to take a back way... there just isn't one.

Didn't someone here say this about a month ago in one of these threads? Good to see the observer is still on top of things.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah i did.. lol. Yeah the "insider" at the Observer is certainly on top.. LOL

It's funny that they said they didn't know any tenant names because it's on general growth properties' website saying that at least B&N and REI are coming.

yeah i did.. lol. Yeah the "insider" at the Observer is certainly on top.. LOL

It's funny that they said they didn't know any tenant names because it's on general growth properties' website saying that at least B&N and REI are coming.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't there already a Barnes & Noble in that area, near the Best Buy??? I wonder if they plan on moving that one?

Isn't there already a Barnes & Noble in that area, near the Best Buy??? I wonder if they plan on moving that one?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We discussed this one in another topic a few weeks ago. Yes, from what I hear they are going to move the Barnes and Noble over to Carolina Place, along with reportedly adding a REI.

Yes, there is. But it's hard to spot in that shopping center.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, it is very viewable from Hwy. 51. It's one of the front line stores that you see when driving by or coming up the main entrance.

Edited by Raintree21

• 2 months later...

This was in the business journal, talking about the Barnes & Noble move.. plus Linens and Things and REI and the whole outdoor village portion

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...25/daily43.html

The expansion, characterized by retail watchers as an "open-air market," is expected to include a pair of two-level retail stores, as well as an enlarged food court and more restaurant space.

Other tenants could include Linens 'N Things and high-end sports outfitter Recreational Equipment Inc., sources close to the deal say.

The new Barnes & Noble, at 11025 Carolina Place, will stock close to 200,000 books, DVDs and magazine titles and have a cafe serving Starbucks coffee.

I guess if all goes as planned, The Centrum (across the street) will lose their Barnes & Noble store and Linens-N-Things store.

Edited by cantnot

The Centrum has alway been able to fill empty space pretty easily.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah. My predictions for stores that will fill the future vacant spots..

(typical power-center stores that already aren't in the immediate area) like Ross Dress For Less, AC Moore (to compete with Michael's which is in Carolina Pavillion) or Office Max or Staples maybe

I went to the Carolina Place website to try to look for more info and I went to the store directory section and when I looked at the map of the mall there looked like there was an empty anchor place. I know this is where the new lifestyle shopping center is going to be but what was here before "if" they closed.

I went to the Carolina Place website to try to look for more info and I went to the store directory section and when I looked at the map of the mall there looked like there was an empty anchor place. I know this is where the new lifestyle shopping center is going to be but what was here before "if" they closed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was never a sixth department store at Carolina Place. That's just a placeholder.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, they left within the past year.  The housewares departent expanded to take up the space.  You can tell where it used to be, because Belk has installed some really strange-looking new carpet in the remodeled section.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting. I'll have to check that carpet out.. or maybe your camera phone can do that for me next time you're there. :lol: