Carolina Place Mall

I went to Carolina Place today for the first time in a while. Dirt is already moving where this expansion is going, the area is fenced up and it looks like construction is underway. It looks as if the entire food court has been gutted. It looked like several stores had or were going to upgrade facades. There was also new furniture inside.

Edited by appatone

I went to Carolina Place today for the first time in a while.  Dirt is already moving where this expansion is going, the area is fenced up and it looks like construction is underway.  It looks as if the entire food court has been gutted.  It looked like several stores had or were going to upgrade facades.  There was also new furniture inside.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool thanks for the updates. I'm surprised the current food court is gutted since I had thought they recently remodled it

• 1 month later...

I was at Carolina Place the other day, the food court looks a mess, I wonder why Spinnaker's and Atlanta Bread closed though, and am wondering if any new restaurants will take their spots? Also, I noticed that The Limited moved from its location to upstairs across from the Gap....wonder why that happend.....and the original spot is going to be a temporary Christmas store.....i wonder what theyll turn it into afterwards.......

I was at Carolina Place the other day, the food court looks a mess, I wonder why Spinnaker's and Atlanta Bread closed though, and am wondering if any new restaurants will take their spots? Also, I noticed that The Limited moved from its location to upstairs across from the Gap....wonder why that happend.....and the original spot is going to be a temporary Christmas store.....i wonder what theyll turn it into afterwards.......

When the original spot for The Limited opened it housed the namesake, The Limited Too (before Limited Brands sold it), and the now defunct lingerie brand Cacique (now being operated by Lane Bryant I think?), hence the 12000sf store size. All 3 in what became just the 1! The newest prototype store for The Limited (ie. like the Southpark store) only requires 6-7000sf hence the move upstairs. Nowadays with the fickle retail markets, most specialty apparel chains are building locations within the newer, much smaller, size range, obviously to get more bang per square foot and make the mall owners happier! PLUS...the old Limited site still had a HUGE hallway that spanned from one end of the store's stockroom through the Limited Too site as well. Mighty weird having two, now completely separate companies, share one common associate breakroom and set of restrooms!

Supposedly the old spot is going to be divided into 2 new store sites. Yes, both the old Atlanta Bread and Spinnaker sites are being re-leased with new restaurants. From what I hear, Panera takes Atlanta's spot and not sure on Spinnie's? It was an old concept anyway, time to say buh-bye!

Is CP in good shape or are stores leaving? Suprised to hear that Atlanta Bread pulled out.

I worked at CP as well and they seemed to be fine. Atlanta Bread however I believe was not in charge of the options for lease renewal...aka: Project Kicked Out! Very similar to the old ABC at Southpark. I suppose mall owners consider Panera the current "chic" eatery in the food court? Lol.

Sometimes "tired" food concepts can live on. Boston Market franchises still exist, despite all the doomsdayer's predictions 5 years ago.

Overall though, I think the food court at CP isn't interesting. Same goes for Eastland. (But I did sometimes visit the food court at Carolina Mills when I lived in University City.)

Edited by MZT

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe Carolina Place felt like trying something "out of the box" since Nothlake is doing the Narnia thing. ;)

I live in Starmount, but just don't go to CP much. Hate the traffic circulation around there... But I do visit the Home Depot / Best Buy / Jason's Deli across the street from it.

On the news this morning they saud that in addition to other shops including a bookstore (we're assuming B&N) and a sporting goods store (REI) that Carolina Place would be adding another anchor tenant. With all of the anchor tenants CP currently has plus a big bookstore and and big sports retailer what could possibly be moving into a new anchor spot?

Sorry, I should clarify. CP would be constructing a new anchor space. No one would be leaving. CP will physically add a bookstore, sporting goods store, another anchor, and other shops in addition to improvements in the mall. So I can't imagine what would go in there.

I want to add that I think CP will go more like NorthLake. They will probably end up adding some better tenants than they have now. Things like J Crew and Banana Republic will likely open up there IMO. They'll probably try to snag some things like L'Occitane and others as well. Ballantyne is litterally at CP's back door and there have been rumors for a while that tenants like that have been eyeing that area.

Edited by appatone

Sorry, I should clarify. CP would be constructing a new anchor space. No one would be leaving. CP will physically add a bookstore, sporting goods store, another anchor, and other shops in addition to improvements in the mall. So I can't imagine what would go in there.

I want to add that I think CP will go more like NorthLake. They will probably end up adding some better tenants than they have now. Things like J Crew and Banana Republic will likely open up there IMO. They'll probably try to snag some things like L'Occitane and others as well. Ballantyne is litterally at CP's back door and there have been rumors for a while that tenants like that have been eyeing that area.

I know it's gonna be Linens N Things, that's probably what they're refering to as the additional anchor -- I would think -- not like a department store anchor.

Carolina Place could go a lot more upscale. It's going to be hard to justify some of those coveted stores expanding though. How many L'Occitane stores, for example, can this market handle?