Carolina Place Mall

We don't even need to wait until a possible long shot light rail line comes that way.  That could be 10-20 years off.  Look at North Point Mall in Alpharetta N of Atlanta.  They torn down an anchor store, built apartments and outside row of shops and restaurants.  Redevelopment plans are not dependent on some way in the future light rail.    Multifamily could easily be done here on the CP Mall property and the same owner did so in Atlanta.  (no transit lines other than bus lines in that case too) 

• Like 1

I just now went to the first two pages of this thread and it is certainly an awakening of awareness of how things change. The confidence of retailers, shoppers, and members of this board (at that time) was so very different from our time, even from a few years ago, not just this year. Evolution is an accretion of change.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

I was shocked to see yesterday that the Best Buy at Centrum Parkway (across the street) is closed permanently! Jason’s deli also closed. Subway also closed. Kmart has been closed and empty for years. I have a feeling that whole area will be redeveloped sooner than later. 

35 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

I was shocked to see yesterday that the Best Buy at Centrum Parkway (across the street) is closed permanently! Jason’s deli also closed. Subway also closed. Kmart has been closed and empty for years. I have a feeling that whole area will be redeveloped sooner than later. 

The Kmart is becoming a Super G International Market opening in the fall. 

The Best Buy is going through a format change and will reopen on August 20 as Best Buy Outlet.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Garra Spa has opened in Carolina Place.... it is a fish pedicure that eats your dead skin... https://charlotte.axios.com/268771/charlottes-first-fish-spa-now-open-at-carolina-place-mall/

Also, the old Sears will be temporarily operating as a massive Spirit Halloween. 

For the mall owners... not sure what they were thinking with the updated red and white signage they are using... trying to do an 80's retro theme? 
image.png.ea42b64f489c436c6280252325a89e24.png

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Garra Spa has opened in Carolina Place.... it is a fish pedicure that eats your dead skin... https://charlotte.axios.com/268771/charlottes-first-fish-spa-now-open-at-carolina-place-mall/

Also, the old Sears will be temporarily operating as a massive Spirit Halloween. 

Yeah they have those all over Europe.  It seems weird but I’m sure it works haha

11 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

For the mall owners... not sure what they were thinking with the updated red and white signage they are using... trying to do an 80's retro theme? 

I wouldn't go to a spa like that. They don't change out the water, so there is a risk of catching infections from other people.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

This mall in the north Atlanta suburbs is or was owned by the same company that owned Carolina Place Mall.  This I do believe is the future for Carolina Place Mall when some anchor space comes down and mixed uses are brought in with residential, office, hotel etc.   North Point Mall in Alpharetta. 

North Point Mall Going On A 'Retail Diet' With Redevelopment (bisnow.com)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This is what needs to happen to Carolina Place Mall.  They have a vacant anchor Sears now.  That needs to come down and build some apartments on that spot and do something like this.  Alpharetta has great demographics but CP Mall has good demographics too with lots of high income shoppers just down 485 toward Ballantyne and Providence Rd.  

If you look that design of this mall it very similar to CP Mall and was once owned by General Growth just like North Point. 

https://urbanize.city/atlanta/post/north-point-mall-alpharetta-development-renderings-construction

Time to reimagine Carolina Place Mall into a massive mixed use hub like this and keep as much retail as you can. 

I spoken with someone who used to work for Pineville once upon a time in the past few years. That said person said Pineville and GGP now known as Brookfield Properties is aware of this. However,  they are awaiting for the proposed LYNX Blue Line extension to Ballantyne to come to fruition. The concept is already contemplated for Carolina Place. Ironically, this is also who sidewalk connections have been nonexistent around the mall property except the remodeled portions.  It's the mall owners itself and Pineville to a certain extent are holding this up right now.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This is my vision for a reimagined Carolina Place Mall.  This mall in Alpharetta affluent north Atlanta suburb is the template for the future.  The malls were about the same size but this mall will be downsized after a department store will be demolished.  This mall could be reimagined like this and be the dominant SC suburbs and far south Charlotte suburban shopping center with this kind of plan with outside retail, apartments, office etc. 

Check out this video

https://atlanta.urbanize.city/post/north-point-mall-alpharetta-project-new-video-redevelopment

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

This is my vision for a reimagined Carolina Place Mall.  This mall in Alpharetta affluent north Atlanta suburb is the template for the future.  The malls were about the same size but this mall will be downsized after a department store will be demolished.  This mall could be reimagined like this and be the dominant SC suburbs and far south Charlotte suburban shopping center with this kind of plan with outside retail, apartments, office etc. 

Check out this video

https://atlanta.urbanize.city/post/north-point-mall-alpharetta-project-new-video-redevelopment

Ironically both were developed and managed by General Growth Properties/Brookfield. Carolina Place still is by GGP/Brookfield but Northpoint was spun off in 2020.

It'll happen with Carolina Place but probably in the next decade though

Edited by kayman

22 hours ago, kayman said:

Ironically both were developed and managed by General Growth Properties/Brookfield. Carolina Place still is by GGP/Brookfield but Northpoint was spun off in 2020.

It'll happen with Carolina Place but probably in the next decade though

CP is soooo ripe for re-development for something like the above...but they need the blue line extension to really pull it off.   There is 70 some acres to play with (Dillards owns 10 of those),  another 13 if you could get @home out (Sam's never will). 

But...this is also Pineville proper.  Not exactly known for their forward thinking. 

1 hour ago, InSouthPark said:

CP is soooo ripe for re-development for something like the above...but they need the blue line extension to really pull it off.   There is 70 some acres to play with (Dillards owns 10 of those),  another 13 if you could get @home out (Sam's never will). 

But...this is also Pineville proper.  Not exactly known for their forward thinking. 

Yeah that's why I said in the next decade.  Pineville is going to an evolution in leadership right now but it won't be done for a few more years.

• Like 1

It's a shame that Pineville is doing this to itself.  I can understand wanting to keep your small town feel but this town is watching rapid growth knocking on its door from three sides and the longer they wait to accept the fact that they're stuck in the middle of it whether they like it or not the more expensive and painful it will be for everyone involved to manage it. 

They really screwed up by not even trying to entertain a way to allow the blue line to cross 485 as it was originally proposed.  If they had just pulled their heads out of the sand they would have realized that they could have managed that growth by massively growing their tax base and implementing  design standards to maintain that walkable, small town feel.  Contain the denser growth alongside 485 around the light rail terminus at the mall and keep the downtown quaint with appropriately sized, attractive buildings.  Pineville could be looking and doing so much better had they came to the realization that they are literally butted up against one of the fastest growing cities in the country when they had that opportunity twenty years ago. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

It is crazy that Pineville thought the danger to their small down feel was a light rail. The four lane high speed highway is why it doesn't feel like a small town.... nobody wants to walk in a downtown where you have to dodge 4 Chevy Suburbans in a row going 40 mph as you cross the street.  Pineville is basically a giant mess of terrible wide roads that makes the town feel ANYTHING but charming.

Come on now.  North Polk Street is charming with its auto shops, 3' wide, overgrown sidewalk that hasn't seen a walker in 10 years, AND A BREWERY! 

And Pineville Matthews Rd is lovely for an evening stroll to Red Lobster.  They even have 100 feet of sidewalk! 

Pineville...the Gateway to Rock Hill

• Haha 3

And what I find interesting, and I could be completely off base here, is that I feel like they think they have their own little Mayberry there and thus have a Mayberry view of things.  I don't want that to sound demeaning but it seems like they are so opposed to change they have chosen to ignore it to try and preserve something that isn't quite there anymore.  Instead, they foolishly sit there and watch as any remediation gets further and further away. 

Maybe twenty or thirty years ago downtown was a bit more pleasant and sleepy and a majority of traffic on 51 didn't go much past the mall.  Now, as InSouthPark mentioned, North Polk has increased development with the dealerships and more industrial construction behind them along with more and more people are cutting through town down Lancaster highway to the ever increasing Ballantyne subdivisions.  So now they have all the traffic mess they didn't want and very little of that is benefiting the actual town because they were frozen in their boots.  It's a shame really because they could be talked about in the same breath as many of the other sattelite towns that are taking more control of their growth and winning heaps of praise because of that. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

CBJ reports that Brookfield is now in default on Carolina Place (although the Northlake owner has been in default since 2017?)

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/10/27/carolina-place-northlake-mall-cmbs.html

A recent appraisal shows Carolina Place’s property value has plummeted to $135 million, according to filings to CMBS loan data. It was $263 million in April 2013. The loan was refinanced in May 2013, with a balance of $174.9 million.

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...

first time in this mall in over a year and boy it has declined.  The quality of stores and I counted 10 vacancies with no signs of new stores except for a new Miniso. .  Brookfield Properties owner of the mall needs to come up a with a plan to revitalize this mall.  They own the Streets of Southpoint in Durham probably the best mall in the entire Triangle.  They are going to add lots of apartments, hotel and offices to that mall and need to do the same with this mall. 

Carolina Place in Pineville, NC (brookfieldproperties.com)

this mall needs help asap!  with the high income so close by and in the market trade area I can't believe how it has fallen.  This is Pineville's biggest taxpayer and vital to the community or maybe 2nd after Atrium hospital. 

security was visible and they deploy dogs like Concord Mills.  Oh that Suit City store next to Belks two suits for $360! 

20240209_134539.jpg

20240209_134656.jpg

20240209_134925.jpg

20240209_135040.jpg

20240209_135112.jpg

20240209_135205.jpg

20240209_135316.jpg

20240209_135651.jpg

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I think the new Ballantyne Reimagined stroll district will only accelerate problems for Carolina Place. Outside of the worst of winter, people would rather stroll outside and shop in the new district Ballantyne is building, Waverly, and Blakeney Town Center... or just drive to SouthPark which isn't that far away. 

The stores around the perimeter seem to be doing the best where people can park and run an errand without going in the actual mall portion (like REI, Dick's / Golf Galaxy, Dave and Buster's, Belk, et.) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

I think the new Ballantyne Reimagined stroll district will only accelerate problems for Carolina Place. Outside of the worst of winter, people would rather stroll outside and shop in the new district Ballantyne is building, Waverly, and Blakeney Town Center... or just drive to SouthPark which isn't that far away. 

The stores around the perimeter seem to be doing the best where people can park and run an errand without going in the actual mall portion (like REI, Dick's / Golf Galaxy, Dave and Buster's, Belk, et.) 

They haven’t remodeled in years and haven’t brought new stores that are “up to date” with today’s young crowd.  Not even one athleisure store whereas South Park has 5.  

• Like 1