Northern Virginia

Close on the Horizon, Plans for Taller Rosslyn

By Annie Gowen

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, April 13, 2005; Page A01

Arlington County officials are backing a plan to significantly increase building heights in Rosslyn, making for a more dramatic skyline but raising concerns about airline safety and the future of the sweeping vistas along the Potomac.

At issue is a proposal to build a 39-story office tower in Rosslyn that would rival the Washington Monument in height and soar above the 300-foot-tall buildings that were equally controversial when they went up nearly 25 years ago......Full Story

It is currently being debated as to whether this tower or the Westin in Va. Beach will becom the tallest in the state. The Rosslyn tower is most likely taller that the main portion of the Westin tower. However, with it's spire on top Westin most likely clears 500ft. Making it officially the tallest.

• 1 month later...

I've had this languishing in the test forum for about a month now. As you can see I haven't accomplished much yet. I'm going to be adding things as time goes on. Forumers from or familiar with the NOVA region please feel free to add projects that you know are going on. As with everything, if this region gains enough momentum on this site we will eventually break it off into it's own subforum.

but they will be adding more jobs in the future so they still win

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, by 2020. They'll still be hurtin for a while. Also, did you see it mentioned anywhere in the article where they plan to move the workers to?

I remember hearing about that. Still, I don't think it will hurt NOVA too bad. Their economy is arguably one of the strongest in the country. I have no idea where 20,000+ people are gonna end up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They may very well end up in Hampton if Fort Monroe is used as an area for government offices (which officials have discussed as a possibility.

I wish we had problems like that

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

have you been through Tyson's? Just the mall is as close to anarchy as I'd ever want to be. The area is still pretty suburban though their office buildings are pretty tall for a suburban center. I just don't know how the influx of development will even work. The roads are wayyyyyyy over capacity. If you guys could see the old picture of Tyson's Corner way back in the day I saw in the McDonald's at the mall there, it would blow your mind. IMO NOVA needs some major lifestyle changes. The traffic congestion up there boggles my mind...If they can turn Tyson's into a real city environment, I think it would be much better. Right now its just suburbia on steroids. One problem, which was mentioned in the article, is the stress this will put on the orange line. The proposed Tyson's metro stop would be an offshoot that would feed into the orange line. The orange line is also supposed to be extended to Dulles. IT's already near capacity, which I found out first hand riding back to school after attending a senate armed services committee hearing for a paper. It was basically standing room only from Federal Center to Vienna-Fairfax-GMU

have you been through Tyson's? Just the mall is as close to anarchy as I'd ever want to be. The area is still pretty suburban though their office buildings are pretty tall for a suburban center. I just don't know how the influx of development will even work. The roads are wayyyyyyy over capacity. If you guys could see the old picture of Tyson's Corner way back in the day I saw in the McDonald's at the mall there, it would blow your mind. IMO NOVA needs some major lifestyle changes. The traffic congestion up there boggles my mind...If they can turn Tyson's into a real city environment, I think it would be much better. Right now its just suburbia on steroids. One problem, which was mentioned in the article, is the stress this will put on the orange line. The proposed Tyson's metro stop would be an offshoot that would feed into the orange line. The orange line is also supposed to be extended to Dulles. IT's already near capacity, which I found out first hand riding back to school after attending a senate armed services committee hearing for a paper. It was basically standing room only from Federal Center to Vienna-Fairfax-GMU

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been there and I like the density. Norfolk is so far behind its ridiculous. This size area should have a decent size dt. Those jobs that are leaving are always being replaced and they continue to have more business move there than we could imagine.

are you saying that DT Norfolk's density is lacking in comparison to Tyson's???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been in Norfolk most of my life and really wish that dt was alot bigger. It just seems small. I see cities that have alot smaller metro areas with much larger dts, take Richmond for example and look a dt Norfolk and it pisses me off. Hopefully with all this development it will make our skyline look cool. I just hope we do get a 40 story tower soon.

true...for a city of Richmond's size, I'd say the skyline is pretty good. What's also good is that there are plenty of places for new towers to rise. I can see where Norfolk's DT could use some more critical mass.

This pic makes Richmond look pretty dense:

James-Skyline.jpg

I guarantee Norfolk will grow and with more restraints on it growing out, it will undoubtedly grow up.....

I think that what NOVA is doing by focusing heavy development near metro stops is a good growth strategy. However, it's tough to grow well with suburban roads. Tyson's and other areas need to have a more urban street grid. I think it would help it not only have a city feel, but also help improve the moving of people and goods. I know they are attempting to build at higher densities near the Vienna-Fairfax-GMU metro stop. Recently, an entire neighborhood sold itself to developers to make way for high density redevelopment...I guess only time will tell

Major Changes coming to old town Fairfax....some renderings:

Complex of buildings on the north side of North Street. View is facing east, looking across Chain Bridge Road with the existing library to the left and North Street to the right.

image002.jpg

Complex of buildings on the north side of North Street. View is facing north, looking across North Street with Chain Bridge Road to the left and University Drive to the right.

image006.jpg

Complex of buildings on the north side of North Street. View is facing west, looking across University Drive with North Street on the left.

image010.jpg

Building on the south side of North Street. The left view is facing west across University Drive with Firehouse Grill to the left and North Street to the right. The right view is facing south across North Street with University Drive to the left and Ned Devine

Edited by wrldcoupe4

I've been there and I like the density. Norfolk is so far behind its ridiculous. This size area should have a decent size dt. Those jobs that are leaving are always being replaced  and they continue to have more business move there than we could imagine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dense? Tysons?? :rofl:

Like the article posted above said, Tyson's is the country's most successful office park. But it's still just an office park essentially. Tyson's is not a downtown anything. It's not pedestrian friendly at all. Recent article about thathere.

All the office buildings have huge setbacks from the streets. You can't get anywhere, safely, in tyson's without a car. And even then it can be a lesson in patience.

Yes, the future plans for what's to be built in tysons are neat. But I believe the tallest proposed building is only 30 stories. Norfolk's got that beat with the Granby(hopefully). And all of the proposed stuff is dependent entirely on the metro coming thru tysons. Which is years away from happening, if it happens at all.

Seems the latest cost estimates are causing a little sticker shock. Read about that one here.

Not that I don't want to see tyson's grow and succeed. But I would never wish tyson's problems on Norfolk. Norfolk is doing really well. Tyson's might outpace Norfolk's growth one day, but it is going to have some seriously difficult growing pains.

They may very well end up in Hampton if Fort Monroe is used as an area for government offices (which officials have discussed as a possibility.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The current plan is to move most of the workers to Ft. Belvoir in southern Fairfax. The biggest issue everyone has with this is that you're moving people from Crystal City/Rosslyn, which are nice urban areas, well served by metro to Ft. Belvior which is down an already congested I-95 and not served by metro.

Not only would this make a complete mess of traffic, but there are concerns as well that a lot of these workers will quit rather than be moved. This one really has people up in arms. More about it here. When the gov. and senator all come out together to speak against it, ya know it's big.

There was another article recently I couldn't find again, about a study that said the move would make traffic in the region worse, increase pollution and all sorts of other doom and gloom things about the move. I'd have to agree, it's a silly move by the BRAC.

Dense?  Tysons??  :rofl:

Like the article posted above said, Tyson's is the country's most successful office park.  But it's still just an office park essentially.  Tyson's is not a downtown anything.  It's not pedestrian friendly at all.  Recent article about thathere.

All the office buildings have huge setbacks from the streets.  You can't get anywhere, safely,  in tyson's without a car.  And even then it can be a lesson in patience. 

Yes, the future plans for what's to be built in tysons are neat.  But I believe the tallest proposed building is only 30 stories.  Norfolk's got that beat with the Granby(hopefully).  And all of the proposed stuff is dependent entirely on the metro coming thru tysons.  Which is years away from happening, if it happens at all.

Seems the latest cost estimates are causing a little sticker shock.  Read about that one here.

Not that I don't want to see tyson's grow and succeed.  But I would never wish tyson's problems on Norfolk.  Norfolk is doing really well.  Tyson's might outpace Norfolk's growth one day, but it is going to have some seriously difficult growing pains.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd agree with that word for word.

I heard about this a couple years ago, but just to probably stun everyone else:

The Springfield Interchange improvement "project consists of building more than 50 bridges and widening I-95 to 24 lanes between the Beltway and Franconia Road."

"The new Springfield Interchange is designed to handle the more than 500,000 vehicles that are expected to pass through the area each day and more."

Springfield Interchange

Edited by wrldcoupe4