Northern Virginia

they are a nice addition to the TC. What I want to know is what will be going up across from the mid town towers in the vacant lot there. I know across the street behind the bus depot, they will put up a 15 storier within a few months or so.

I remember hearing earlier that KSI, Midtown's developer, was planning on adding three additional condo towers to that spot. It seems a little too small to do that anyhow. If that is the plan I hope they aren't identical to the buildings already there because that will look like a commie block.

I remember hearing earlier that KSI, Midtown's developer, was planning on adding three additional condo towers to that spot. It seems a little too small to do that anyhow. If that is the plan I hope they aren't identical to the buildings already there because that will look like a commie block.

haha. yeh it would. I know they were planning towers to be built in maybe 2 years and the images of the completed TC looked like they would match the ones across. but Im not sure if that was preliminary or actual. it seems like when the picture was made in 2005, that it would be too hard to know for sure what they would look like. I hope they re-think them after the housing slump and make them nice glass covered structures. the TC could use some buildings like that to contrast the stucco and brick dominated cityscape.

• 2 months later...

PH2007122702325.jpg

With Approval Of FAA, a Final Tower Is Set to Rise in Rosslyn

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7122702154.html

Another superstructure, a 370-foot, 30-story skyscraper crowned with a transparent pyramid, will soon be rising on the Rosslyn skyline.

It might become a landmark in Arlington County: the last building of its size to be approved in Rosslyn, where the Federal Aviation Administration has put a lid on the soaring skyline out of concern for airline safety.

The office building, named for its address at 1812 N. Moore St., will have more energy-efficient features than any other in Virginia. To win approval, the developer, Arlington-based Monday Properties, promised record contributions toward transit improvements and the county's affordable-housing fund.

It is the last of a trio of monumental buildings that Arlington has approved for construction in the past six months. The other two -- a 30-story residential tower and a 31-story office building together known as Central Place -- were approved by the county in May. The taller of the two will be 76 feet higher than the silver tower that once served as headquarters of USA Today.

Edited by 4307

While I don't particularly mind the presence of this building in Rosslyn, I think the county is wise to limit construction of very tall buildings near the flight path. Sufficient density for good urbanism might even be achieved more rapidly without extremely tall buildings. Essentially, this is one of the main reasons that the District is dense. Let the area grow, but certain constraints might harness the growth and force planners to take urbanism into account.

Promenade

JBG Retail has plans to replace the current Cadillac car dealership with a mixed used project. It will include an office tower, condo/apartment tower, and retail. The project will be built in phases, according to the density increases that the property will receive when a full funding agreement is signed for the Silver Line. The project will be across the street from the Tysons West station.

tydonspromenade1.jpg

tysonspromenade2.jpg

^That is great news. JBG is really pushing around the DC metro with their TOD's. I know that their proposal for Reston Heights off of Sunrise Valley Drive went under review from the Fairfax County Board. It will be four high-rises across from the future metro stop. They are already developing Reston Square which includes the new Westin Hotel which I think is topped out. I cannot find any renderings the development however.

Nice, the Promenade project is a big step forward for Tysons, it looks like it could have been proposed in a much more developed city like atlanta or charlotte, and the base retail will possibly start to encourage a more pedestrian environment. This could be the first step to a much more sustainable Tysons!...if it gets past the approval stage and the dampening effect of the recession.

Edited by TheFutureIsNow

I was just looking at The Promenades brochure:

http://www.jbgr.com/brochures/new/BrandingBook11-27-07.pdf

and it looks like this will be a two part development. It looks like retail will come first and at a later time the taller structures will be added, maybe not a guarantee, or they are waiting for the arrival of the metro.

The Reston Heights plan hasn't really gotten past the concept stage. On the 28th their concept plan will be rejected or approved, if it's approved we can expect more details including renderings.

I don't know if we will see any plans by the 28th(boo). I was reading an article in the observer in which the JBG representative said site plans would be submitted in six to twelve months. Hopefully we might catch a glimpse of them earlier, but I am unsure as nearby residents want the development to be decreased by thirty percent.

While snooping around looking for reston heights plans, I came upon an article from last month about large shopping center next to Reston Town Center(with the Bestbuy, Barnes & Noble, etc.) Apparently, Lerner Enterprises, the owners of the shopping center are interested in converting it into an extension of the Town Center. I have been thinking that this would be great for years! The shopping center consists of 19 acres. Lerner Enterprises is the same company that owns Tyson's mall and is putting high rises there. Unfortunately, the Lerner representative didn't complete one of the forms needed, which makes me think they aren't as excited about this as I am. Anyway, here is the article from last month:

http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/news/2007/dec/...eeting-delayed/

Thanks for posting these pictures. I'm especially interested in the Tysons Tower project. It looks good and would be good for the area. I really hope the transportation issues with Tysons can be worked out i such a way that these towers can coalesce into a real urban area instead of clusters of towers off the freeway.

I did a little searching on the Tyson's Tower and found out a little bit more on SK&A engineers website. The project will consist of two towers, Tysons J East and West towers, with a different rendering:

tysonsjnorth_l.jpg

I don't know if these renders are newer than the one I posted earlier or not. From the first render I thought that it might be an office project. However, this render shows all kinds of balconies which makes me think it will be residential. I guess we will have to wait until more information comes out.

Edited by NoVaBoy

Here is a shot of the future site of the Promenade. The cadillac dealership has already closed up shop, which I wasn't aware of. Also, a friend of mine who works for a development company in Tyson's told me that all of the dealerships on rt.7 in Tyson's have loose deals with development companies. Most of these deals won't manifest themselves until the metro tracks are being laid.

100_0949.jpg

While I was in Tyson's I snapped a few photos of the Park Crest Residential Development: Here are a few renders as well as some construction photos from 01.23.07:

One Park Crest(19 stories):

parkcrest1.gif

Two Park Crest(19 stories):

parkcrest2.gif

Park Crest Lofts:

parkcrestlofts.jpg

Rendering of the site as seen from above the lofts:

parkcrest.jpg

Here are the construction photos. It looks as if One Park Crest is topped out and they are still working on the lofts.

100_0952.jpg

100_0950.jpg

I didn't have time to snap any pictures of Towers Crescent developments. I think that 8020 Towers Crescent is finished according to there website. 8030 Towers Crescent is under construction:

towerscrescent_l.jpg

8020 being the smaller building on the right.

Edited by NoVaBoy