Northern Virginia

It's been quite awhile since I visited this site. It doesn't look like to much has been going on. Anyways, there has been a good amount of development going on like Futureisnow said. I think all the construction along Rt. 28 was boosted by the fact that all the intersections have been upgraded which has relieved traffic quite a bit. I took a few pictures of some of the developments earlier this month. Here they are:

Dulles Station:

DullesStation02.jpg

DullesStation01.jpg

DullesStation03.jpg

Here are a few shots of South of Market in Reston Town Center. You can see the progress that has been made on the Midtown Reston Condos in the background of some of the pics. Again these were taken at the beginning of the month and if I can ever remember to take my camera with me when I go out I'll snap a few more up to date pictures:

100_0633.jpg

100_0636.jpg

100_0635.jpg

100_0638.jpg

100_0632.jpg

Atlantic submits rezoning application for Falls Church development

Atlantic Realty has submitted a rezoning application package for the Falls Church City Center development.

The Vienna-based company's development package includes plans for a 180-room hotel, 500 residential units in a six to nine-story building, 67 age-restricted residential units in a building attached to the hotel and a nine-story office building with 110,000 square feet of space for small and medium-sized businesses.

The 27-story Turnberry Tower project in Rosslyn is kicking off. The Best Western, a building that was, at 10 floors, once one of the tallest in Rosslyn, is being demolished to make way. Here are two photos from the past few days of the Best Western coming down and an oft-cited rendering of what Turnberry will look like once built:

oldbestwestern.jpg

oldbestwestern2.jpg

turnberryrendering.jpg

The press has reported that work has resumed in earnest at the Waterview in Rosslyn. In fact, construction workers and police closed an adjacent street two days ago (three?) to make space for final removal of the damaged section. Now they're back in business. I hope to get some close up photos of the site today. Here's a recent one taken from the Memorial Bridge.

306664102_8295e40db0_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The old Best Western finally came down? Can't say I would miss it. It is interesting to note that it was originally a Holiday Inn. The Holiday Inn next door was a Ramada for s while and then known as the Westpark before its current incarnation. The new Turnberry looks like an appliance, but I am sure that the condos will be very nice.

great to hear about all the rosslyn projects!

btw, does anyone know about a new huge development of office building(s?) right around the nokesvillle rd/prince william pkwy?

also there is a row of 2 office buildings, one of which was just completed, and another one is going to be built to complete the row.

Edited by TheFutureIsNow

The 27-story Turnberry Tower project in Rosslyn is kicking off. The Best Western, a building that was, at 10 floors, once one of the tallest in Rosslyn, is being demolished to make way. Here are two photos from the past few days of the Best Western coming down and an oft-cited rendering of what Turnberry will look like once built:

oldbestwestern.jpg

oldbestwestern2.jpg

turnberryrendering.jpg

The old Best Western is no more. These photos are from this morning. Will post more photos as the demolition site becomes a construction site.

Turnberry1.jpg

Turnberry21.jpg

Nice Photo and good news. I never really see any pictures of Rosslyn and only get a chance to see it on my rare visits to DC outside of the Metro.

Snapped these today. The first four are of the two Waterview towers. The last four are of the WRIT Rosslyn Center Residential building--a new 15-story residential building at the corner of Clarendon Boulevard and N. Pierce Street filed by Washington Real Estate Investment Trust (WRIT). The building will contain 178 units and will include a 3,500 square foot glass enclosed art atrium. A second building (9 stories, mixed use & condos) is also part of the WRIT project, but I don't have any photos.

Rosslyn has 3 major projects in the construction phase. If the Central Place plan makes it through the approval process, we'll start to see the face of Rosslyn really begin to change.

Waterview41.jpg

Waterview61.jpg

Waterview101.jpg

Waterview111.jpg

WRIT1.jpg

WRIT21.jpg

WRIT41.jpg

WRIT51.jpg

WRIT51.jpg

Wonder how long before all the space between and Rosslyn and Courthouse is filled in with new stuff. I had heard it rumoured for a while now that Dr. Dremo's lot was going to be replaced with condo's or some other kinda high rise. But have never heard anything concrete about that. Anyone else hear that one?

Wonder how long before all the space between and Rosslyn and Courthouse is filled in with new stuff. I had heard it rumoured for a while now that Dr. Dremo's lot was going to be replaced with condo's or some other kinda high rise. But have never heard anything concrete about that. Anyone else hear that one?

In 2003, Arlington County approved this plan for the development of the small corridor between Rosslyn and Courthouse:

http://www.arlingtonva.us/Departments/CPHD..._courthouse.pdf

There have been rumors swirling for a few years about the future of that stretch--between Wendy's and Rhodeside Grill--but I haven't been able to confirm anything.

In 2003, Arlington County approved this plan for the development of the small corridor between Rosslyn and Courthouse:

http://www.arlingtonva.us/Departments/CPHD..._courthouse.pdf

There have been rumors swirling for a few years about the future of that stretch--between Wendy's and Rhodeside Grill--but I haven't been able to confirm anything.

Wow, that pdf was quite detailed, and a very interesting read. Will be interesting to see how much of those

visions come to fruition. Thanks!

Arlingtonian can you snap some pics of the Metropolitan in Pentagon City. It's a pretty tall building next to the BMW and the Best Buy and all of that. It stands out a lot. Anyway, that's a pretty nice project, in the employee lounge at Nordstrom, the view out into Pentagon City and Crystal City was fantastic.

May be able to get some this weekend.

Overhaul Of Tysons Center Approved

Decade-Long Project Will Add Towers With Offices, Apartments

Fairfax County's evolution into a more urban suburb advanced last night as the Board of Supervisors approved plans to overhaul Tysons Corner Center by surrounding the mall with a ring of eight towers containing offices, more than 1,000 apartments and at least one hotel.

The expansion, to begin next year and last a decade, will reshape the huge shopping center, which helped put the former rural crossroads of Tysons on the map 38 years ago -- and which still helps define what is now the 12th-largest business district in the country.

I really want to know what this looks like. It sounds like something they're doing in Gwinnett County in suburban Atlanta, except it doesn't center around a mall. I'm just hoping this multi-tower project doesn't look like a contemporary reincarnation of some 1960's urban renewal monstrosity.