Northern Virginia

This is some great news from two weeks ago. I earlier posted an article about Spectrum Shopping Center next to Reston Town Center being considered for an overhaul. The county passed approval on developing the center into part of Reston Town Center. Here are the big facts:

The southern area where the Best Buy is situated is to be transformed into 2 residential buildings and 2 non-residential buildings each up to 180 ft or 15 stories tall.

Later on the Northern area will have 2 residential buildings up to 120 ft tall.

^Thats really good news! I hope this trend of redeveloping strip centers into mixed-use complexes continues, as it could applied to very many desolate suburban areas around the country!

I am glad they are building democracy tower so soon, but it still doesn't make up for that horrendous looking parking garage. I wish they had built it more creatively to disguise the garage.

I didn't get to take pics of the other part of the garage, facing the SoMa area, which isn't as bad, as it has some greenery installed on the side, which I think may grow over part of the garage in the future.

Nice plans about the Spectrum. Judging from the diagram it looks like they're making up for the low FARs with lots of (too much) open space. Or is that "open space" parking garages? Either way I'd prefer the buildings where shorter, but took up more space.

Also I'm 99% postive the Democracy tower will be built totaly on top of the garage. I've been to the top of the garage, and all the spaces are painted, and besides the floors aren't level, which would create a horrendous office enviroment. The below image, taken about a year ago shows what I mean.

1251387854_b769f3b62d_b.jpg

On another note, this Democracy Tower is almost like the Signature Tower that never got built (9 garage floors + 10 office floors = 19 floors of Signature Tower). And while I was at Emporis looking this up, I found out the 2, 16 story Parc Reston towers are supposed to start construction this year. I wonder if the housing slump will affect this?

No apology is necessary! Please keep up the posting. :thumbsup:

Second that, all great info and thanks for posting to everyone for posting the project, the proposals and the renderings. I can get to NoVa/DC ever 2 weekends or so, so its hard for me to get there. But I love to see all the new projects.

It's a differnet project, this one is at the Reston Town Center, directly across the street from SoMa.

I like the project, I just wonder how many projects in greater washington can survive with the brick facade/condo setup. Living in Rockville they are every 10 feet, and they are about 10 more going up, I just don't understand how they continue to be so successful.

I remember looking at that rendering too, a long time ago... Im pretty sure I saw somewhere that the Dominion project was redesigned into "The Paramount", which was built a couple of years ago.

Heres the finished product, the massing and some parts of the design look similar to the Dominion proposal:

para-4-Jul.JPG

Edited by TheFutureIsNow

I remember looking at that rendering too, a long time ago... Im pretty sure I saw somewhere that the Dominion project was redesigned into "The Paramount", which was built a couple of years ago.

Heres the finished product, the massing and some parts of the design look similar to the Dominion proposal:

para-4-Jul.JPG

I think you're right, (at least I hope) because that rendering was the prettiest building I've seen.

• 3 weeks later...

If you live or work in Virginia and whether you've been stuck in highway gridlock or not, your future is at stake! If we don't fix transportation now, we may never be able to fix it. Statewide, delay is costing millions of dollars per day, more than it would cost to build the roads we need. Help us beat the drum for new transportation funding

Good let them meet and finally figure out something. As much as I would like to see ALL projects go through, there will be cuts due to budget shortfalls.

I just hope the Richmond area gets what it needs.

Edited by Shakman

I guess this belongs here, but I finally found out the plan for the redevelopment of the Carlyle area, around the DoD buildings in Alexandria. Its called "Hoffman Town Center", and looks absolutely amazing, very modern, and the first phase of the project, the parking garage, has already been completed.

Also, the website for MRP Realty has many new projects i've never heard of, like Lakeview at University Center. And thankfully, they're developing part of the Potomac Yards site, instead of Pulte homes, which is doing on the other section.

In other news,

Park Center in Manassas Park is currently u/c, I had no idea it even existed until I saw it. I found a rendering, but I don't know where I got it anymore, so heres a small image: 00MANASSAS-PARK-SHOVELS_WEB.JPG

There are currently two strip centers under construction in Manassas, Shops at Signal Hill, and Evergreen Terrace. And also, the Hastings Marketplace lifestyle center is u/c.

Whenever I'm on the beltway I see that project and wonder what/where it is (Google Earth hasn't been updated since it was built).

I guess this belongs here, but I finally found out the plan for the redevelopment of the Carlyle area, around the DoD buildings in Alexandria. Its called "Hoffman Town Center", and looks absolutely amazing, very modern, and the first phase of the project, the parking garage, has already been completed.

Also, the website for MRP Realty has many new projects i've never heard of, like Lakeview at University Center. And thankfully, they're developing part of the Potomac Yards site, instead of Pulte homes, which is doing on the other section.

In other news,

Park Center in Manassas Park is currently u/c, I had no idea it even existed until I saw it. I found a rendering, but I don't know where I got it anymore, so heres a small image: 00MANASSAS-PARK-SHOVELS_WEB.JPG

There are currently two strip centers under construction in Manassas, Shops at Signal Hill, and Evergreen Terrace. And also, the Hastings Marketplace lifestyle center is u/c.

• 1 month later...

Sorta off topic, but I was looking at new homes in Australia (Sydney and Melbourne suburbs), and was shocked and amazed by the quality and innovation found in new homes there. Unlike this country, they have moved beyond copying the past as a means of creating a sense of security, and have created an entire new category of modern-styled, green suburban homes, which are now the fastest growing segment of new homes. All of this has been done without sacrificing the urban cores of these cities, which are still booming with new condos and lofts. The fact is, there will always be a segment of the population that will desire a suburban setting, and these homes do the best job of melding urban design creativity and green features, with a calm suburban setting. I will still always advocate for a shift back the city core, but these homes are worth a look, and would still be an enormous leap forward over current tract housing.

http://www.metricon.com.au/regionalvictoria/

http://www.urbaynehomes.com.au/

I really hope that these will be the model for suburban development in the future, and that the creative designs will transform our ideas about infill

Without a doubt, the houses are attractive. Yes, they are worthy of being a model for suburban development. While I agree with you that the current popularity for faux-Georgian "Builderesque" hoiuses and the awful townhouses which follow in their wake have cluttered many DC suburbs with architrash, I hesitate to think that this will change except through a gradual shift away from such things. My tendencies toward architectural absolutism heartily concur with you that such things are a wretched addition to our environment, Unfortunately, they are not likely to go away until an educated populace demands more. We are seeing this already in many places, and Washington is no exception. To a certain extent, trends will continue to go in cycles. There will always be a certain demand for design whch we may not care for. The best preventative measure is to raise awareness of good design overall and the adoption of certain standards. When guidelines and standards become rules which brook no questions or compromise we will then have friction and possibly chaos as a result. If you look at things from the perspective of, say, Jane Jacobs, a little diversity doesn't hurt.

This is rather off=topic. I'd love to continue the discussion, but perhaps a new thread ought to be started.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, i'm not sure if this is off topic, and if it is please help me find the right place for it. Its about Rosslyn. off topic??

Anyway, has anyone seen if the central placfe block is cleared? Last I saw, ole Tom Sarris' was a big whole with a tractor in it, but the others were still there. has anyone heard about the rosslyn gateway yet? Asside from the four u/c towers that will be skyline transforming, this one looks very promising!

http://www.arlingtonva.us/Departments/Comm...ases/64097.aspx

That 370 ft tower in rosslyn is my fav as on now. The tower is the best looking of any of them. The building that is there now has been emptied and will be demolished soon.

http://expressnightout.com/content/photos/...-1812nmoore.jpg