Northern Virginia

• 2 weeks later...

This is sorta off topic since it is not about construction but I read in the newspaper today that Fairfax county is the wealthiest in the nation based on income of its residents.

I can see that. If you've ever been to fairfax there is not much that's not upscale in some sense. Still, you'd think that counties that contain places like Beverly Hills would place higher than fairfax.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the reason a county like Fairfax is wealthier is because most of the population is over the national median income level. As for Beverly Hills, it is only a very small part of Los Angeles county, and even though that tiny neighborhood is very wealthy, most of Los Angeles county is poor. LA county is 44% hispanic, and most of the rest is black, and thier all poor. Remember, LA is not a rich city, and LA county contains Watts ghetto, Compton, and all those poor areas that pulls the county down overall.

yeaaaa I wasn't calling what you had posted sprawl. But that springfield interchange is so massive in large part to the sprawl problems up there. Whatever happened with Western Loudoun County? Wasn't a line in the sand supposed to be drawn for development? If I had to commute to D.C. every day from Loudoun .... I dunno what I would do! And those fools that commute from Fredericksburg! Crazy stuff.

The Board of Supervisors in Loudoun County are going to keep western Loudoun as rural as possible. I know the county has grown multifold from 1990 on because of all of the improvements in transportation and the Dulles Airport. A lot of people that live in eastern Loudoun work at Dulles Airport, or the businesses near it. I know of one person who works near the Dulles Airport and says the traffic in Loudoun County is getting worse.

Oh, btw, what about the Diamond Lake proposal? Back then when MLB was trying to move the old Expos, people envisioned building Diamond Lake with a ballpark right smack in the middle of it. One problem was Fairfax County would not sell the land. I guess people are trying to bring it back, due to growth.

And on the other hand, the state and NoVa had transportation plans in place for 40+ years, when Washington DC and the surrounding area was booming in population. Now the plans are outdated given the sheer amount of growth. Prince William County and Stafford County (the one south of it) are experiencing growing pains - building stuff w/o planning ahead for more growth.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anything lately about that proposed 492 ft Rosslyn Tower? It was first annoucned back in april but I've heard absolutely no updates about it and can find nothing online. It just kinda dropped off the face of the earth. Was this cancelled?

Sorry I have been out of the forum for so long, I've been checking the progress of the projects around the area

Tyson's 1750 tower hasn't started construction yet, but they have a sign posted at the site that a new building is coming and there are those plastic walls surrounding the site

The Waterview towers have started contruction and are coming along well

Haven't heard anything about the 492 ft tower though

The midtown towers at reston are almost topped out and the exterior brick and stone is going on, and a third tower a the site is also rising

The site for the elan condos in fair lakes area is cleared and the new shoppping center around the condos is being built

Alot of construction in the carlyle area of alexandria around the new uspto offices :D!

The potomac yard complex is under construction and one and two potomac yard are under construction and are topped out and block e east, which includes 386 luxury apartments and 8,000 square feet of retail space, is under construction with a few floors above the ground.

Edited by TheFutureIsNow

Here are some of the websites:

Sorry for the mistake, its not 1750 tyson's Boulevard its 1725

1725 Tyson's Boulevard

http://www.lernerenterprises.com/commercia...25tysonsii.html

Waterview Towers

http://www.jbg.com/page.cfm?pageID=6&BldgID=113

Midtown Reston

http://www.midtownreston.com/MidtownReston/photogallery.html

Elan Condos

http://www.elancondos.com/main.html

Potomac Yard

http://www.nationalgatewayarlington.com/index.html

Here is a website for most new residential construction in the metro area

http://www.dclofts.com/loftsinva.html

This is a little off-topic, but I was talking about it in an earlier post: sprawl!

If you want to see some serious Northern VA sprawl, go to:

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.asp...fair+oaks%7c%7c

and click urban areas in the top right of the picture to see the "now" image, it's pretty ammazing.

It's a collection old satellite images ranging from 1988-1994, and new satellite images from 2002. you can see what an area looked like then and now, although 2002 is a little dated.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a new development, may have already been mentioned though.... There will be 2 400ft towers (they were supposed to have climbed over 450 ft. Apparently the FAA got its way.

Well, it's better than 300ft. And if the FAA got it's way then they probably chopped Rosslyn down a bit too. Too bad, but 400ft leaves a lot of room for some pretty nice towers minus spire. I like the renderings though, very sleek.

• 4 weeks later...

What is this new set of buildings (twin towers w/cranes) in the Reston Town Center called? What's going in them? Offices, I assume? PS - This is a view out of my office window. Sorry for the poor quality. It was taken through glass with a very old digital camera. :unsure:

mvc-007s.jpg

:o I have no idea but they look fairly tall. I'll have to check into it. I think Coupe posted something about them higher up in the thread.

:o I have no idead but they look fairly tall. I'll have to check into it. I think Coupe posted something about them higher up in the thread.

Those buildings are condominium. They're called Midtown Reston and KSI is the developer. There will be a total of 6 towers when completed. Two of the towers have already been sold. Starting price for each unit is $500

Edited by LoganVA

Nice Pic wow has Reston Towncenter grown since I was out there last (Fall 2004). I wonder which area should be called Downtown Fairfax, Reston? or Tysons Corner? Maybe this should be a separate thread unto itself.

I think Fairfax County is now too "sprawled" to ever have a single area to call "downtown". If anything, I guess you could think of the Dulles Toll Road as "Main Street" and call Reston uptown and Tysons Corner downtown. But, then, the area around Springfield and Bailey's Crossroads are seeing explosive growth, as well. And look out for the area around Centreville. I think the areas in and right around Fairfax City will always remain low rise and slower-growth. The folks around there seem intent on keeping a more traditional small-town feel there. And I don't much blame them!