Northern Virginia

Hey Guys this will be my first post in this forum. Here are some pics of the Midtown Reston Development KSI is developing in Reston Town Center. I took these pics this morning. They are topped out but the cladding and windows seam to be going up rather slowly. I will try to update when any significant advances occur.

01reston04.jpg

11reston104.jpg

02reston04.jpg

13reston104.jpg

16reston104.jpg

05reston104.jpg

I hope this thread picks up.

Edited by NoVaBoy

First welcome NoVaBoy! That pics are incredible. I was in Reston last summer and I am amazed how things have picked up! Please post as often as you like. :)

I found a map but I am not sure it is accurate as the footprint looks larger now but I could be wrong. NovaBoy, could you point out just where these new towers are being constructed if shown on the diagram?

First welcome NoVaBoy! That pics are incredible. I was in Reston last summer and I am amazed how things have picked up! Please post as often as you like. :)

I found a map but I am not sure it is accurate as the footprint looks larger now but I could be wrong. NovaBoy, could you point out just where these new towers are being constructed if shown on the diagram?

I'm pretty sure these building are just off the left side of that map. On the North Side of Market Street, just off the west of the edge of the map. I believe there are three towers going up in that block. And something else, (parking garages maybe?), in the block across the street to the south of those new towers.

There is also another tower, that has just started(dunno if they are even driving piles yet) about 2-3 blocks

south of this.

My office is like 5 minutes away, but I havn't driven thru there in a couple weeks. Maybe I swing by at lunch to get bearings on what's where exactly.

Edited by sugoiben

sugoiben:

"I'm pretty sure these building are just off the left side of that map. On the North Side of Market Street, just off the west of the edge of the map. I believe there are three towers going up in that block"

Thats right. It's off to the left of the map. The third picture down shows Two Freedom Square and One Freedom Square to the construction's right. Across from the small park they had to build I believe they are going to be building another three towers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Boston Properties began construction on Phase II of the Reston Town Center. The surface parking lot in the center of RTC is to become 4 office buildings with ground level retail. The construction will start with two of the towers of around 10 stories and are slated to be finished in 2008. Boston Properties deviated from their plan to build condos on the site after scepticism towards the condo market in the area. This may have come about from the numerous proposals for 10 - 15 story condo buildings in and around the RTC. The Oracle property across the reston parkway from the RTC even proposed building over 400 condos on their office campus instead of the approved 4 office buildings of which 2 are already built. The condo market is pretty hot right now with the Midtown Reston development by KSI under construction. There are supposed to be 2 or 3 more highrise condos across from the ones currently being built. This is added to the recently built stratford house, carlton house, and the paramount as well as the mercer being built across the toll road. If anyone has any information on condos in reston that would be great. Here is a crude map of some of the sites in RTC:

Restontowncenter.jpg

the mercer:

04.jpg

Edited by NoVaBoy

Here's an article I found on this in the Journal.

Developer breaks ground on Reston project

Boston Properties recently began construction on a massive office complex in Reston. Called South of Market, the two-building spec office project totaling 402,000 of rentable square feet is at Reston Town Center. The Boston-based real estate giant says the complex will be completed in the first quarter of 2008, when initial occupancy is also expected.

South of Market will ultimately consist of 850,000 square feet in four buildings, including 770,000 square feet of office space and 80,000 square feet of retail, according to the Reston Town Center's Web site

story

• 3 months later...

Alexandria Accelerates Riverfront Makeover

Alexandria's plan to update its historic seaport has rocketed to the top of the city's priorities, another piece of a broader renaissance taking place along the Potomac River waterfront in Virginia, the District and Maryland.

For more than 30 years, the city has debated and argued over what to do about its waterfront -- a confusing jumble of shops, parkland and industrial buildings along the river just north of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge that officials say has the potential to be one of the region's great destinations.

story

Del Ray vs. Potomac Yard

A proposal to relocate an Alexandria fire station from Del Ray to a fancy new development in Potomac Yard has some home owners in Del Ray seeing red. I'm all for narrow streets and good urbanism, but I wonder about the agreements being made behind the scenes here. I'd like to know more about this development.

The Washington Post

Edited by tombarnes

• 1 month later...

This is what happens when a project is deemed "insurmountable" :shok: . Tyson's Corner is on the route of the new Silver Line going to Dulles International and beyond. Now in order to transform this suburban office park into a walkable, vibrant, and dense area, a 4 mile tunnel with 4 stops would have been created on the Silver Line. However, pressure from VA Congressmen House of Representatives-Republicans in that distric and the current contractors :sick: forced Governor of VA :stop: to abandon the idea. The tunnel was projected to cost an extra 200-250 million, money that the business community would have helped to pick up. :thumbsup: However, the Congressmen said that it would imperil the entire project from recieving federal funding. Hopefully, its not the end of the story.

Heres the article,

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/c...AR2006090601340

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Downtown Fort Belvoir

Army Post in Fairfax County Gets a Taste Of Off-Post Living With Its Own Town Center

In the suburban jumble of southern Fairfax County lies an oasis of pleasant living straight out of a classic small town or cozy city neighborhood. Residents can roll out of bed and walk downstairs to a handsome Main Street lined with a coffeehouse, corner grocery and barber and adorned with vintage-style lampposts, signs and clocks. They can stroll along the sidewalk and greet their neighbors. They can walk to work without worrying about a car.

There are a few photos on the site as well.

story

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i havent been on here in a long time, the thread has been moving really slow...

There are more developments than ever that are under construction, including a huge amount of office buildings being built along route 28 and around and in the Westfields office park. (i guess when real estate goes down, office skyrockets?). Havent been to reston in a while, but when i was there, they were well underway with south of market. Dulles station is fully under construction, with two office buildings under construction, and the main circle with the first section of 1st floor retail and housing completed. There are many office buildings under construction lining the dulles toll rd, including the completion of the third building in the worldgate complex.

There is a new housing development going up right around the fair oaks mall and CaCi building, its not vertical yet, and its next to the fairfax towne center, not fairfax town center :huh:.

The new burke library that was cancelled in the early 90's recession is U/C

new burke library

The huge plot of land next to costco and home depot is going to be the "west ox complex" and it looks really amazing!

PSTOC building west ox complex

elan condos is U/C (7th floor maybe) and the retail portion of the complex is complete, retailers are moving in, and Pei Wei restaurant opened, its like noodles and company but better!!

Hope this thread gets going so everyone can know how much development there is in NoVa.

• 2 weeks later...

Project For Dunn Loring Is Approved

Metro Stop Site To Be Reshaped

A development of up to 720 apartments and stores on a 15-acre parking lot at the Dunn Loring-Merrifield Metro station won unanimous approval yesterday from the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors.

The project at the busy Orange Line station would help reshape a business district with a prime location near Interstate 66, the Capital Beltway and two other highways.

Here are some new pretty high density condos going up in fairfax, next to the CACi building, i think there ok, and that area could use some less suburban office look, which this will really help with. The only thing i hate is that the builder prides themselves of being a "neo-traditional" builder :sick::sick::sick::sick:

EYA condos