Northern Virginia

Now that's forward-thinking design!!!! :yahoo: I really hope this project is built as they say it is, and when they say it will start. So many of these of projects get delayed into oblivion. The only problem i see in the renderings is that the bottom level looks dreary and uninviting, but maybe thats just the parking garage.

Those look quite nice. I was thinking that the whole area was going to undergo the change but perhaps it's just the area right around the mall.

For now, the plan is to redo the area around Tyson Center and Tysons Galleria which also has been approved to add 8 additional buildings to what has already been approved previously. The whole area is being replanned to make Tysons more urban like. This is only a small part of Tysons.

It looks like developers are looking to redevelop the Springfield mall after the model of Tyson's Corner Mall. There won't be a metro stop right next to the mall like Tyson's but the Springfield-Franconia stop is not too far away. I still don't think people will use this stop to go shopping but maybe it will reduce traffic if this proposal is approved.

Here is the link:

http://www.examiner.com/a-540918~Mall_prop...s-Washington_DC

Springfield Mall could use a bit of revitalization- and sooner is better than later. They would be wise to discuss a way to connect the Metro stop to the new development. A shuttle service or some kind of tram might help to get people from the Metro to the mall. Without direct access to rail, this may be a hard sell to many potential visitors or residents.

Edited by tombarnes

This is the only rendering of the Springfield mall I could find and I think it is rather old:

springfield-rendering06.jpg

Coupled with the development of Midtown Springfield by KSI this will hopefully revitalize this rundown part of Fairfax and create further development:

midtownspringfield_home.jpg

springfield-revitalization.jpg

midtown_springfield_masterplan.jpg

While searching for the renderings above I found a rendering of the above ground metro rail through Tyson's Corner. I hope it hasn't been posted here before. While it doesn't look too bad I do hope they will opt to go underground:

tysons_station.jpg

This is the only rendering of the Springfield mall I could find and I think it is rather old:

springfield-rendering06.jpg

Coupled with the development of Midtown Springfield by KSI this will hopefully revitalize this rundown part of Fairfax and create further development:

midtownspringfield_home.jpg

springfield-revitalization.jpg

midtown_springfield_masterplan.jpg

While searching for the renderings above I found a rendering of the above ground metro rail through Tyson's Corner. I hope it hasn't been posted here before. While it doesn't look too bad I do hope they will opt to go underground:

tysons_station.jpg

Unfortunately, it appears that the underground plan will be rejected regardless, which makes no sense, b/c first, we provided a sure source of money for the project, and second, there are estimates that it may even be less expensive than above ground. And with the widening of Rt. 7 along with the mall construction, it's a option that will add less confusion and congestion to the already congested area which will have billions of dollars in other projects going on simultaneously.

With Springfield, I really think it'll be fine. It's close enough to the metro, they will add some more shuttles, but the metro is still close enough. I think it's got a great location and has a lot of potential for development with all the surface parking lots and properties past their prime. midtown springfield will be built atop that ugly brown building on the other side of 95 from the mall. I believe I read an article saying that there would be a couple towers a part of the project too. The mall...I hope they tear it all down and establish a grid on there. That is a ton of land and it has potential and a good location.

^^^ I agree. I hope they just demolish the mall and develop the land in a gird pattern. However, taking a look over the developers website the majority of the developers properties are suburban malls and this makes me think they will try to attract more clientel rather than demolish the site and focus on residential or office space.

Springfield could really be an edge city for DC because of it's proximity and it perhaps its already is to a degree. Having an urban element here would really make it stand out such as Old Town in Alexandria. Springfield doesn't have a downtown as such do they?

Nope, they don't. Which is a shame. Tons and tons of potential there if they plan things right though.

^^^ I agree. I hope they just demolish the mall and develop the land in a gird pattern. However, taking a look over the developers website the majority of the developers properties are suburban malls and this makes me think they will try to attract more clientel rather than demolish the site and focus on residential or office space.

That mall is a lost cause. It's at the intersection of busy as hell 95 and mixing bowl and the ffx county parkway, w/ a metro stop and close to 495, really if they're proactive, they could pour in whatever they need to develop a place at a very significant location into something much better than what it is.

I agree that there is not much point to saving any part of Springfield Mall. Demolition really would be the best option. In this case, a clean slate would be best for any attempt at urbanization. I think a town center could work for Springfield, as the population is there to support it. Also, as the terminating point of a Metro line, something significant could easily work in terms of residential units. Why hasn't this been thought of before?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone noticed that something new is going in to Fairview Park? (Rt. 50 & I495) There are already several office towers and a hotel back in there, but driving past on the beltway you can see something new. Large area cleared, some foundation work done, and the base for a tower crane is visible. No idea what it is though.

Anyone noticed that something new is going in to Fairview Park? (Rt. 50 & I495) There are already several office towers and a hotel back in there, but driving past on the beltway you can see something new. Large area cleared, some foundation work done, and the base for a tower crane is visible. No idea what it is though.

I haven't been in that area in a while, but I would assume based on what is already there, that it would be some kind of office? There has been a huge resurgence in office construction since the housing market slumped. Did you check to see what the construction/development company was? \

Anyway, always happy to see more development, especially office, which i love more because it is usually way more modern-looking than those stupid brick-laden, colonial influenced condos... :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I haven't been to that area in awhile either. I was driving down rt. 7 the other day and noticed a whole lot of new development. Falls church is really involved in a lot of construction.

You have the Broadway and the Spectrum on Broadway/Rt. 7:

broadway.jpg

SpectrumWeb468.gif

Then you have 500 Maple and The Pearson (construction to finish this year) on Maple Street:

500Maple235Web.gif

PearsonSq235Web.gif

And Finally plans are moving forward quickly on the City Center Project:

SouthCityCtrRenderingDec06Web500.jpg

Here is a link to a flyover render movie of the City Center ( you will need quicktime to view):

http://www.ci.falls-church.va.us/governmen...fallschurch.mov

Edited by NoVaBoy

I sort of like the broadway, its a little more interesting/modern than some of the other stuff

Pass on spectrum, its ok, but nothing really exciting, design-wise

HATE 500 maple and especially the pearson!!!! :angry: That same style has been done before like 100 times! Do something new for a change!

Not sure about the city center, i like the photo you put up of it, it looks somewhat modern and interesting, but the flyover doesn't look at all the same...

^^^ I agree with you on the projects having unoriginal designs. Fairfax county architecture as a whole is pretty bland in my opinion. I wish someone would try something that sticks out. I live in Reston and there is a lot of construction going on but none of it is anything spectacular. The Gannet/USA Today building in Tysons is the only architecturally significant office tower put up recently. I wish more modern designs like the Center for Innovative Technology in Herndon were built.

^^^ I agree with you on the projects having unoriginal designs. Fairfax county architecture as a whole is pretty bland in my opinion. I wish someone would try something that sticks out. I live in Reston and there is a lot of construction going on but none of it is anything spectacular. The Gannet/USA Today building in Tysons is the only architecturally significant office tower put up recently. I wish more modern designs like the Center for Innovative Technology in Herndon were built.

I think that is one of the things the county will improve with. I think when we have some dedicated areas to build up, we will start to get a little more risky design wise. I think Reston would be a good place for it in the near future. Tysons really can set itself apart if they embrace this, they don't have an incredibly common architecture so I think it'll be easier for them to get creative there.

I posted some renderings of some Falls Church projects earlier and I was in the area visiting a friend so I decided to snap a few pictures:

Right on Broadway/rt. 7 is the Broadway. It is already complete and looks very dull compared to the rendering. It does have street level retail which I am a fan of:

100_0704.jpg

This Building was across the street from the Broadway and the Spectrum. It looks like a recently finished building an is called the Byron:

100_0703.jpg

The Spectrum is a pretty large project and looks like two seperate buildings. The Broadway facing section is topped out and I think the rear section has one more floor to go:

100_0705.jpg

100_0701.jpg

100_0700.jpg

This is a building to the right of the Spectrum, but I don't know what it is:

100_0706.jpg

I also drove around the corner to Maple Street and took pictures of 500 Maple, which looks complete, and the Pearson. Maple and Broadway are getting makeovers, but Falls Church is still kinda ratty. I passed two bums, one in front of the post office, one on maple, on the short drive from the Broadway projects to the Maple projects.

The Maple (Red Building) with the Pearson next door. Nothing special:

100_0707.jpg

And the Pearson which appears to be a pretty large condo project:

100_0708.jpg

I also drove around the corner to Maple Street and took pictures of 500 Maple, which looks complete, and the Pearson. Maple and Broadway are getting makeovers, but Falls Church is still kinda ratty. I passed two bums, one in front of the post office, one on maple, on the short drive from the Broadway projects to the Maple projects.

The Maple (Red Building) with the Pearson next door. Nothing special:

100_0707.jpg

And the Pearson which appears to be a pretty large condo project:

100_0708.jpg

Although alot of this development seems rather bland and routine, I do like the urban feel that these developments give to the Downtown area. I had a chance to drive through Falls Church around Christmas time and was astonished at the amount of construction going on. At the rate these condos are going up we will no longer recognize Falls Church in 10 years. I envision Falls Church looking alot like Adams Morgan or Georgetown then.. Now if only this type of development can move west on Rt. 7 and be recreated in the Tysons area.