Why are there no 7-11's in Jacksonville?

Metro242

This is totally random and if someone deems this too far of a stretch from Urban discussion they can delete it, but coming from South Florida I was shocked when I moved here and discovered that in the countries biggest city by landmass there isn't a single 7-11 to be found. It's pretty much the best gas station around in my opinion (although newer Gate's are pretty nice too) and it's shocking to see a total lack of presence here considering how the chain dominates South Florida and the rest of the country in areas too. Anyway, just curious and all apologies if anyone deems this post inappropriate.

And just to throw this out there, what does everyone think the best gas station chain around town is? In my experience I am finding Dailey's to be the best and Kangaroo to be the worst.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7-11's died a miserable death in this town. Merlin - there used to be a couple at the beach. Ironically the one is south Jax made way for a Gate station. I think the biggest reason was the whole Lil' Champ / Huntley Jiffy Store Cabal that drove most every other type of quickie mart out of business in this town.

Didn't we used to have the most convient stores per capita of anywhere in the world? I think I read that somewhere...

Interesting topic. Perhaps they were unable to establish a foothold in the North Florida market, because I can't remember seeing any 7-Elevens where I used to live, in Marion County, either. Nor do I remember any in Alachua County. In Marion there are a lot of Kwik Kings (local company based in Ocala), Lil Champs, Circle K's, and gas station-branded convenience stores. Based on a quick search I did, there doesn't appear to be any 7-Elevens north of Daytona Beach.

I think people here have traditionally been loyal to the local companies, like Gate and the old Lil' Champ. I personally shop at Gate (the one at I-10 and Stockton usually) for all gas if I can help it. Despite my dislike of our current mayor, I still prefer to support local companies. With the influx of so many newcomers though, I am surprised 7-11 hasnt tried to come back in.

ha the last town i lived in was so small the only store open 24 hours a day was 7-11. i kinda miss it. you would really meet all kinds and at all hours of the day (but it wasn't a gas station, just the store).

Archived