Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ironchapman

Florida's Capitol Buildings Throughout History

All of you regular Tallahassee forumers out there may know about this, but for those who don't I found I link with various photos of Florida's capitol buildings from 1824 (I believe) through today.

Click here for the site.

I'm glad you've mentioned this. As it points out on that link, Tallahassee was the only state capital east of the Mississippi (the other was Austin Texas) not to be captured by union forces. I've always wondered what would have become of us, Florida & Tallahassee if we were.

Thanks dude... stuff like this is very interesting to me. I've got tons of pictures of the old capitol buildings, and the Original layout of Tallahassee as designed by the settlers. I'm gonna have to upload those and share.

Great stuff!! It really puts Florida's growth into perspective when you see that State discussion were going on in a log cabin! I wonder what the furure may hold for a new capitol building.... ?

Isn't the current capitol building the tallest building in Tallahassee?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. By design it will likely remain such for quite a while.

Great stuff!!  It really puts Florida's growth into perspective when you see that State discussion were going on in a log cabin!  I wonder what the furure may hold for a new capitol building.... ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

... interesting question... hopefully a renovation. I wish I had some imaging software so I could tinker around with that building a little.

Everysince Florida has been a part of what is now America, yes! However, prior to that St. Augustine and Pensacola each shared the functions as Capitals of East Florida and West Florida.

Thanks dude... stuff like this is very interesting to me. I've got tons of pictures of the old capitol buildings, and the Original layout of Tallahassee as designed by the settlers. I'm gonna have to upload those and share.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's those layouts I promised...

as you can see as the Capitol buildings have changed so has the entire downtown layout. Here's the beginning.

oldtownplan.gif

Then this plan followed in the early 1900s

Taylorplan.gif

Shortly thereafter, when the Tower was concieved this plan emerged.

Greenbelt81.gif

Then the Turlington Building (the Education building) was proposed and we got this...

Plan87.gif

To my knowledge this is the most recent revision.

Wow, TaureanJ, those are some great images. Why happened to prevent the relocation of Monroe Street, in the first image? That looks like it would have been pretty nice.

^A very small building (Elliot Building I believe) sits in the route of that proposed relocation. Additionally the Leon County Courthouse was expanded. These two buildings could be two key reasons, if not inability to prioritize.