Florida's Capitol Buildings Throughout History

ironchapman

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad you've mentioned this. As it points out on that link, Tallahassee was the only state capital east of the Mississippi (the other was Austin Texas) not to be captured by union forces. I've always wondered what would have become of us, Florida & Tallahassee if we were.

Great stuff!! It really puts Florida's growth into perspective when you see that State discussion were going on in a log cabin! I wonder what the furure may hold for a new capitol building.... ?

Great stuff!!  It really puts Florida's growth into perspective when you see that State discussion were going on in a log cabin!  I wonder what the furure may hold for a new capitol building.... ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

... interesting question... hopefully a renovation. I wish I had some imaging software so I could tinker around with that building a little.

Thanks dude... stuff like this is very interesting to me. I've got tons of pictures of the old capitol buildings, and the Original layout of Tallahassee as designed by the settlers. I'm gonna have to upload those and share.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's those layouts I promised...

as you can see as the Capitol buildings have changed so has the entire downtown layout. Here's the beginning.

oldtownplan.gif

Then this plan followed in the early 1900s

Taylorplan.gif

Shortly thereafter, when the Tower was concieved this plan emerged.

Greenbelt81.gif

Then the Turlington Building (the Education building) was proposed and we got this...

Plan87.gif

To my knowledge this is the most recent revision.

• 1 year later...

Archived