Major expansion to Las Vegas McCarran Int. airport

OE-305

McCarran International airport is to complete their build-out by 2008 (three years earlier than their 2011 target) and will cost approx. $ 2.4 billion.

Here's a look at past, present and future traveler numbers.

1990 - 19 million

2004 - 41.5 million

2011 - 53 million (max capacity)

Article

So if McCarran is running at max capacity in just a few years, what does that mean in the long term? Clark County leaders are addressing this situation by constructing a brand new international airport in Ivanpah near Primm on the NV-CA border about 30 miles south of town on I-15. Freight and cargo will be sent there in the future and help alleviate some of the traffic at McCarran. Plans do call for passenger travel through this airport, and by judging by these numbers above, it won't be long until its a major int. airport as well.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most airports are reaching this point: too much traffic, not enough room to expand.

I always liked that McCarren was so close to the strip. Not the best for shops and restaurants inside the terminals though.

Most airports are reaching this point: too much traffic, not enough room to expand.

I always liked that McCarren was so close to the strip. Not the best for shops and restaurants inside the terminals though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if they plan on building the new airport out there, they had better get on track (no pun intended) with building the high speed rail to Primm like they've been planning. This will also be an impetus for future growth in the valleys there. There's not much room left to grow in the Vegas area....

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived