Best Southern Skyscraper

ironchapman

What is the South's Best Skyscraper?  

277 members have voted

1. 1. What is the South's Best Skyscraper?

• Bank of America Tower (Atlanta)
    • Westin Peachtree
    • SunTrust Plaza (Atlanta)
    • Concourse Towers (Just outside of Atlanta)
    • BellSouth (Batman) Building (Nashville)
    • Bank of America HQ (Charlotte)
    • Hearst Tower (Charlotte)
    • One Wachovia Center (Charlotte)
    • Wachovia Financial Center (Miami)
    • Bank of America Tower (Miami)
    • Modis Building (Jacksonville)
    • Bank of America Tower (Jacksonville)
    • Wachovia Bank Tower (Jacksonville)
    • Am-South Harbert Plaza (Birmingham)
    • City Federal Building (Birmingham)
    • AmSouth Building (Tampa)
    • One Tampa City Center
    • 203 East Main Street (Spartanburg)
    • Palmetto Building (Columbia)
    • Other

What do you think is the South's best skyscraper?

I picked only the ones that either knew had historical value or looked the most visually appealing to me.

If your skyscraper is not listed, please vote "Other".

I did not include Texas towers because I always thought of it as not in the traditional South (The Deep South, Florida, and Louisiana).

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The BofA building in Charlotte gets my vote...it is such a beautiful building. Kind of modern, yet contains some art deco architecture. The building is almost timeless. What is the name of Jax's tallest building? It sits next to the Modis building, and it has blue-colored glass. That was my vote for a close 2nd place, but I don't know the name of it.

Here she is, the "Grande Dame" of Columbia, The ornate Palmetto Building (c 1912). It is currently being renovated into a hotel from office space. It was Columbia's 3rd skyscraper after the Barringer Building (f/k/a National Loan and Exchange, 1903) and the Number One Main Street (f/k/a American Sentinal Life, 1911).

palmetto%20bldg.jpg

Florida's tallest isn't on the list, either is it's best:

Espirito Santo Plaza

I'm sorry if some of your favorites aren't listed.

To create this poll, I entered skyscrapers I knew were favorites/important to its city and I entered some based on info I saw at emporis. I picked the best looking ones there.

Also, I only could list 20 entries, so I'm sorry if yours isn't listed.

I'm a little suprised at how few votes the BOA building in Jax received. I know it's not the tallest or the largest, but it is a gorgeous building. The combination of black/grey granite and glass is spectacular (even better in person). For those who haven't taken a close look here you go:

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=118932 and

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/pc/?id=118932&aid=8

The BOA in Charlotte would be my second vote.

The BofA building in Charlotte gets my vote...it is such a beautiful building. Kind of modern, yet contains some art deco architecture. The building is almost timeless. What is the name of Jax's tallest building? It sits next to the Modis building, and it has blue-colored glass. That was my vote for a close 2nd place, but I don't know the name of it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be the bank of america building that rock2uf posted links to.

I picked the BOA tower in Charlotte. I just love it's look and that crown on top really tops it of. I have mixed feelings about the Batman building but u gotta give it credict as it is defiently unique. I thinck the south should be glad thats it's cities are blessed with so many unique towers.

Archived