Best Southern Skyscraper

ironchapman

What is the South's Best Skyscraper?  

277 members have voted

1. 1. What is the South's Best Skyscraper?

• Bank of America Tower (Atlanta)
    • Westin Peachtree
    • SunTrust Plaza (Atlanta)
    • Concourse Towers (Just outside of Atlanta)
    • BellSouth (Batman) Building (Nashville)
    • Bank of America HQ (Charlotte)
    • Hearst Tower (Charlotte)
    • One Wachovia Center (Charlotte)
    • Wachovia Financial Center (Miami)
    • Bank of America Tower (Miami)
    • Modis Building (Jacksonville)
    • Bank of America Tower (Jacksonville)
    • Wachovia Bank Tower (Jacksonville)
    • Am-South Harbert Plaza (Birmingham)
    • City Federal Building (Birmingham)
    • AmSouth Building (Tampa)
    • One Tampa City Center
    • 203 East Main Street (Spartanburg)
    • Palmetto Building (Columbia)
    • Other

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had never seen a pic of Nashville's skyline before visiting there two years ago for a wedding. My initial reaction on the drive up was a look of disgust for the Batman building. While it is unique, I'll give it that, I'm certainly glad its not in my city. Just my opinion.

I voted for BofA Charlotte as its been a favorite of mine long before moving to Charlotte. The Esprito Plaza in Miami is neat though, hadn't really seen that one before. 191 Peachtree is up there for me as well. The older building in Columbia has a nice look as well. All good choices in my mind.

Batman is the most unqiue skyscaper in the south and one of the most in the country. I could think of one like it in Melboune, Aus.... I can't thank of one building that has the locals proud and still talkin about it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

earl swinson copied that design. watching it being built, i was excited because we were getting the tallest in tennessee. then i was disgusted. i'm a lifelong nashvillian and am not that proud of it. i like the suntrust and city center much better. i'm most proud of the l&c tower though. it's just a classic tower that doesn't get enough respect.

Without a doubt the Best Southern Skyscraper is Atlanta's Suntrust Plaza, it's amazing and one could go as far as say it's a sexy piece of architecture.

atlanta05.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used to live in ATL before CLT and I as well have to admit it is my fav in Hotlanta. It does not get as much press as BofA, 191, the Concource etc, but it definately has the best architecture IMHO. Wish we had one in CLT. To be totally honest I am hoping Suntrust will build a tower in CLT since they just bought CCB. I don't think that will happen for some time though. I think they have much better taste than Wachovia. Wachovia is getting ready to break ground on another tower in uptown. I hope it is better, architectually speaking, than the towers they are currently in. When you look at CLT you can deffinately tell which bank is the biggest. The N Tryon side (BofA) blows out S Tryon's skrapers (Wachovia) in both height and beauty. Great pic BTW. :thumbsup:

I'm not crazy about the Batman Building either. It doesn't seem anywhere near as tall as it's listed height when you get fairly close to it. It is unique and has a cool nickname. I actually prefer other Nashville building to it.

The best in no particular order are the tallest one in Atlanta with the lit crown (can't remember the name but I think Southtrust had their name on it, the Suntrust tower in Atlanta (a very cool design and tall), the Bank of America in Charlotte (very impressive), the Modis building in Jax. Honorable mention goes to AmSouth/Harbert Plaza in Bham which might be the most underappreciated tower in the South and is easily the best modern Bham tower.

In height, yes.

In style, no.

By style, I mean that BofA HQ is circular while SunTrust is definitely a square. The colors and materials are different, too. At least the colors are.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah that's what I meant, almost identical in height. Most definitely not identical in style, however the do share some similar characteristics.

I can't believe anyone voted for that Modis building. Speak Up!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While the Modis building is not the best in the South, it is the best in the South from the '70's IMO. Compare it to Jefferson Square in Columbia, B of A in Greenville or Duke Power in Charlotte. Modis is an icon of it's city and has always had strong occupancy. Not many buildings from it's era can say that. The broad expanse of uninterrupted glass provides excellent reflections of the moon as well as fireworks. At the same time it has more character and appeal than the hundreds of all-glass towers that exist everywhere. The floor to ceiling glass also provides incredible views of the St. Johns River to those inside. It will well worthy of mention in this list.

im suprised batman is second.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have not seen this building (or Nashville for that matter) in person, but it is impressive looking in pictures. It definitely belongs at or near the top.

While the Modis building is not the best in the South, it is the best in the South from the '70's IMO. Compare it to Jefferson Square in Columbia, B of A in Greenville or Duke Power in Charlotte. Modis is an icon of it's city and has always has strong occupancy. Not many buildings from it's era can say that. The broad expanse of uninterrupted glass provides excellent reflections of the moon as well as fireworks. At the same time it has more character and appeal than the hundreds of all-glass towers that exist everywhere. The floor to ceiling glass also provides incredible views of the St. Johns River to those inside. It will well worthy of mention in this list.

I know, I just don't like it. :)

My list would be.....

1. 191 Peachtree in Atlanta

2. Hearst Tower in Charlotte

3. The Four Seasons in Miami

4. BOA in Charlotte

5. SunTrust Plaza in Atlanta

6. Concourse complex in Sandy Springs (ATL)

7. Espirito Santos in Miami

8. BOA in Atlanta

9. One Atlantic Center in Atlanta

10. Modis Building in Jacksonville

SunTrust for me... I think it is under appreciated. It's top design is like a futuristic pyramid type thing, and that light that shines from the tip of it makes it look like it's some ancient way of trying to welcome the aliens. Great building.

Archived