Best Southern Skyscraper

ironchapman

What is the South's Best Skyscraper?  

277 members have voted

1. 1. What is the South's Best Skyscraper?

• Bank of America Tower (Atlanta)
    • Westin Peachtree
    • SunTrust Plaza (Atlanta)
    • Concourse Towers (Just outside of Atlanta)
    • BellSouth (Batman) Building (Nashville)
    • Bank of America HQ (Charlotte)
    • Hearst Tower (Charlotte)
    • One Wachovia Center (Charlotte)
    • Wachovia Financial Center (Miami)
    • Bank of America Tower (Miami)
    • Modis Building (Jacksonville)
    • Bank of America Tower (Jacksonville)
    • Wachovia Bank Tower (Jacksonville)
    • Am-South Harbert Plaza (Birmingham)
    • City Federal Building (Birmingham)
    • AmSouth Building (Tampa)
    • One Tampa City Center
    • 203 East Main Street (Spartanburg)
    • Palmetto Building (Columbia)
    • Other

I'm sorry, but I think the Modis building is an ugly piece of crap. It's like they couldn't decide whether to have a pyramid or an office building, but in the worst possible combination. We're all entitled to our opinions though. :)

Charlotte's Bank of America headquarters easily wins this one.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am surprised to see the Peachtree Plaza (Westin Peachtree) on this list. The building is mostly unremarkable apart from its great height. Portman's buildings may have broken important architectural ground, but are largely undistinguished in themselves. The interiors of the PEachtree Plaza are also a disappointment. The original lobby lake of the hotel has been jettisoned in favor of a more bland interior scheme.

• 2 weeks later...

Me too! It's barely tall enouph to be considered a "Sky-scraper"

Altanta's got the best ones in the south bar-none!!  Altanta's skyline is fantastic!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've got to take a little umbrage at that -- the Bellsouth Tower is (or, at least, was) the tallest building in Tennessee.. Granted, it would look a lot taller if it wasn't built at the bottom of a hill. Depends on your perspective :)

But you're right on the mark -- Atlanta is the big mac daddy when it comes to skylines.

Maybe when Nashville's Signature Tower comes along, it'll show up on somebody's "Best" list! We'll have to wait and see!

I've got to take a little umbrage at that -- the Bellsouth Tower is (or, at least, was) the tallest building in Tennessee.. Granted, it would look a lot taller if it wasn't built at the bottom of a hill. Depends on your perspective :)

But you're right on the mark -- Atlanta is the big mac daddy when it comes to skylines.

Maybe when Nashville's Signature Tower comes along, it'll show up on somebody's "Best" list! We'll have to wait and see!

I agree about the Batman Building. Granted it relies on a lot of it's height from those spires but everything is relative. Drop it into the heart of Atlanta, Houston, or Dallas, and it is just another almost small high-rise, but in Nashville, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Tampa... it is a nice addition (depending on if you like or dislike the sort of weird architecture...I'm not crazy about that myself).

At one time, the old L & C tower in Nashville was the tallest in the southeast at only 409 feet and was certainly considered a skyscraper then. Everything is relative.

here's a couple of Louisville pics I have from my trip to the American Midwest this summer:

47268186_1c5dba9599.jpg

And

47268187_2a46db78e3.jpg

They were both taken from my car. Not too bad of a skyline, if you ask me :)

For the rest of my American Midwest pics, visit here:

IC's Whirlwind Tour of the American Midwest, PART 1

IC's Chicago Pics

Nashville Photos

here's a couple of Louisville pics I have from my trip to the American Midwest this summer:

47268186_1c5dba9599.jpg

And

47268187_2a46db78e3.jpg

They were both taken from my car. Not too bad of a skyline, if you ask me :)

For the rest of my American Midwest pics, visit here:

IC's Whirlwind Tour of the American Midwest, PART 1

IC's Chicago Pics

Nashville Photos

Not bad. Kind of dissapointing. I thought the Aegon building was taller.

Of the skyscrapers listed, these are my favorites...

#1 Bank of America Tower in Atlanta

#2 Bank Of America HQ in Charlotte

#3 Bellsouth Building in Nashville

My favorite building in all of the South is Williams Tower in Houston.

If Tulsa is really in the south, and this site has Oklahoma in south, then the best has to be the Mid-Con Tower. The building is a genuine at deco masterpiece from the 1920s, and is a modern 1980s era office tower at the same time.

Writeup from the building's site:

A truly monumental achievement of modernization, the Mid-Continent Tower displays an uncompromising integrity of style - yet more than half a century separates the two phases of the building's construction.The original structure was built in 1918 by Joshua Cosden, one of Tulsa's most colorful oil barons - known in his day as the "Prince of Petroleum." Rising 16 stories above fourth Street and Boston Avenue, the ornately decorated Tudor-Gothic "Cosden Building" was Tulsa's first skyscraper.Later known as the "Mid-Continent Building," the Tulsa landmark was painstakingly restored to its original grandeur in 1980 - and re-equipped to meet the needs of a modern corporate environment. Soon thereafter, work was begun on the dramatic addition that would more than triple the building's size.From an adjacent structural "twin," builders raised a cantilevered tower 20 stories above the Mid-Continent Building. Projecting 40 feet over the older building, the tower creates the appearance of an upward continuation of the original structure.Completed in 1984, the Mid-Continent Tower received an Honor Award from the National Trust for Historic Preservation in 1985, and has won numerous other national awards since then. The building has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places since 1980.

Emporis Entry:

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=122952

My favorite has to be the Bellsouth "Batman" tower in Nashville. It is very unique and really demands attention when you're entering downtown Nashville. I also like the Esprito Santo Plaza in Miami and the Bank of America tower in Charlotte.

I voted for the BOA Tower in Miami - it's always been one of my favorites since the Miami Vice TV shows - very futuristic and beautiful at night. AmSouth Building in Tampa is a close second. A nice signature building. Of course I'd take them all if they were planned to be built in my town!

• 1 month later...

OK, I voted for other. The original R.J. Reynolds Building in downtown Winston-Salem. It was the tallest building of it's time in the SE (believe it or not Atlantans and Charlotteans), it was designed by the architects of the Empire State building (before the Empire was built, maybe kinda a trial run?), and it's truly a beautiful building.

rjr_8726.jpg

more at Emporis

It's also beautiful lit up all colorful at night!

I agree, I think this is easily the most beautiful Southern skyscraper. It's detailing and proportion make it the most elegant. It is often regarded as the best example of an art deco high-rise outside of New York and was chosen by the AIA as the most significant building in the United States the year that it was built.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, I think this is easily the most beautiful Southern skyscraper. It's detailing and proportion make it the most elegant. It is often regarded as the best example of an art deco high-rise outside of New York and was chosen by the AIA as the most significant building in the United States the year that it was built.

It's a great looking building, but I don't know if I'd give it the title of "Most Beautiful Southern Skyscraper".

Though that's just my opinion.

Archived