Best Southern Skyscraper

ironchapman

What is the South's Best Skyscraper?  

277 members have voted

1. 1. What is the South's Best Skyscraper?

• Bank of America Tower (Atlanta)
    • Westin Peachtree
    • SunTrust Plaza (Atlanta)
    • Concourse Towers (Just outside of Atlanta)
    • BellSouth (Batman) Building (Nashville)
    • Bank of America HQ (Charlotte)
    • Hearst Tower (Charlotte)
    • One Wachovia Center (Charlotte)
    • Wachovia Financial Center (Miami)
    • Bank of America Tower (Miami)
    • Modis Building (Jacksonville)
    • Bank of America Tower (Jacksonville)
    • Wachovia Bank Tower (Jacksonville)
    • Am-South Harbert Plaza (Birmingham)
    • City Federal Building (Birmingham)
    • AmSouth Building (Tampa)
    • One Tampa City Center
    • 203 East Main Street (Spartanburg)
    • Palmetto Building (Columbia)
    • Other

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, where's the IBM building in Atlanta (aka Atlantic Center)???!!!

That would get my vote. It's something when I like a building with a spire. As far as spire buildings go, I'm not a big fan. They're ubiquitous, and seem like a cheap way of 'finishing up' a building. The BofA (ATL) looks ok, but is too stark. The 191 building looks ridiculous with its twin bathhouses... and the BofA (CLT) is just too much... too fat to be graceful and too plain on the sides... and too many spikes on the top. Overall, these three are unimaginative, but not as unimaginative as the Bellsouth building.

Give me graceful, innovative and smaller over huge, corporate ego towers anyday.

• 3 weeks later...

Remember Enron?? This is the old Enron HQ's twin tower. (if I am not mistaken that is)

well the towers look similar but the original headquarters of enron was 1400 smith street. (across the street)

the first one is 50 floors and 691 feet, it was built in 1983.

the second one (1500 Louisiana) was built in 2002 and is only 40 floors and 600 feet. It is currently owned by chevron-texaco

here are the two next to each other..

cdc8bb78.jpg

again (middle left)

224688849oByyvY_ph.jpg

they look almost identical but were built 19 years apart so twins is a tough call...

• 2 weeks later...

OK, where's the IBM building in Atlanta (aka Atlantic Center)???!!!

That would get my vote. It's something when I like a building with a spire. As far as spire buildings go, I'm not a big fan. They're ubiquitous, and seem like a cheap way of 'finishing up' a building. The BofA (ATL) looks ok, but is too stark. The 191 building looks ridiculous with its twin bathhouses... and the BofA (CLT) is just too much... too fat to be graceful and too plain on the sides... and too many spikes on the top. Overall, these three are unimaginative, but not as unimaginative as the Bellsouth building.

Give me graceful, innovative and smaller over huge, corporate ego towers anyday.

I was trying to get a good sampler of buildings from cities around the Southeast.

This means that, of course, I overlooked a couple of gems along the way (i.e. One Atlantic Center in Atlanta, Espirito Santo in Miami, and that art deco building in Winston-Salem)

• 3 weeks later...

Being from the Atlanta area but being realistic, I hate to admit Signature Tower Nashville is going to be the finest looking skyscraper in the southeast and no doubt the second tallest. If you include Houston and Dallas, then it will be 3rd or 4th tallest. The opinions I've read from some insiders on other forums say the building will be over 900' and 60 floors. And based on the attitudes of some on here, I believe this is eating some of the Charlotte posters alive and they no doubt are frantically emailing Charlotte developers urging them to make Wacovia or some other proposed buidings higher than whatever Sig turns out to be. :whistling:

I'm glad a few people have mentioned the Reynolds building in Winston-Salem. Not only is it gorgeous, it also was an inspiration for the Empire State Building.

I also love the Interstate Tower in Charlotte. It's a well-executed tribute to Art Deco with strong streetlife, including a pocket park at its base that is just a lovely space.

Being from the Atlanta area but being realistic, I hate to admit Signature Tower Nashville is going to be the finest looking skyscraper in the southeast and no doubt the second tallest. If you include Houston and Dallas, then it will be 3rd or 4th tallest. The opinions I've read from some insiders on other forums say the building will be over 900' and 60 floors. And based on the attitudes of some on here, I believe this is eating some of the Charlotte posters alive and they no doubt are frantically emailing Charlotte developers urging them to make Wacovia or some other proposed buidings higher than whatever Sig turns out to be. :whistling:

^^^Why would they be jeolous....I think you're jeaolous one....I like the design of the signature tower but to instantaneouly rank it above other bldgs prior to it being built is absurd.....personally, I think the Wachovia bldg is going to be between 60 and 70 stories and probably taller than anything in the ATL and one of the tallest America (I could be wrong, but just a hunch)....then maybe you'll be emailing BellSouth....oops I'm sorry.....

^^^Why would they be jeolous....I think you're jeaolous one....I like the design of the signature tower but to instantaneouly rank it above other bldgs prior to it being built is absurd.....personally, I think the Wachovia bldg is going to be between 60 and 70 stories and probably taller than anything in the ATL and one of the tallest America (I could be wrong, but just a hunch)....then maybe you'll be emailing BellSouth....oops I'm sorry.....

Absurd?....not even. It's called my opinion and is based on the pics available so far compared to other buildings I've seen. Just like your opinion about Wachovia and it may be true and good if it is. And Atlanta has absolutely nothing to be jealous of Charlotte about. At all....period. And it is Charlotte posters who are in some weird competition with Atlanta (sort of like Atlanta competing with New York) and to some degree Nashville (more of an even contrast with Charlotte having a slight edge).

Emailing Bellsouth? Huh? :wacko:

• 2 months later...

I know nobody will recognize it because it's not in Charlotte or Atlanta but my favorite in Texas, if not the South, is Fountain Place in Dallas. it's only 62 stories, only the 5th tallest in Dallas, but I think it has a really distinct and beautiful design.

p5-4.h4.jpg

FP1.jpg

fountain_photo_5.jpg

208.023.jpg

Picture%20007.jpg

I'm sorry, but a 900 foot condo building can never look as good as an office equivalent. The balconies will kill it. I also seriously doubt that signature will be as bright and metallic as the renderings portray it to be.

actually it's going to be a 1047' condo/hotel. and why can't a condo building not look as good as an office equivalent? what difference is a balcony going to make? and yes, the signature will be that bright and metallic. come back to reality and quit letting jealousy get the best of you. i'd be thrilled for whichever city got this tower.

Archived