Japanese Gastronomical & Vending Machine Culture

hkskyline

Eating out in Japan is quite interesting. Many restaurants have elaborate displays of its menu along the windows. You can find everything from traditional Japanese sushi and noodles to delicious desserts.

RIMG4915.jpg

RIMG4898.jpg

RIMG4893.jpg

RIMG4892.jpg

RIMG4891.jpg

RIMG4888.jpg

RIMG4887.jpg

Japan's vending machine culture is quite amazing. You can buy so many things and these machines are everywhere. They're very convenient.

Beer anyone?

RIMG4529.jpg

Plenty of drinks available :

RIMG4877.jpg

RIMG4533.jpg

RIMG4535.jpg

Snacks anyone?

RIMG4527.jpg

The ice cream vending machine. For only 110 yen you can choose from a wide array of flavours. I had a strawberry sorbet but there are more exotic combinations that are not very typical in the Western world.

Rimg4552.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had my first beer when I was 14 in a hotel in Narita: a can of Budweiser that cost about $4, purchased from a vending machine.

It's interesting that Japan's vending machine culture is in complete contrast to China's almost complete lack of any sort of vending machines. One chooses automation and convenience over the extra employment.

Archived