Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ausrutherford

Greenville Auto Mile Ideas

13 posts in this topic

Current developments known:

Spinx added at old Suzuki dealer (are they also using the old Oil change facility?)

Quicktrip added to dirt lot on corner of Laurens and Woodruff

The I85-Laurens interchange is scheduled for remodel (when is this to be completed?)

Mine...

Infrastructure:

1. Power lines put beneath ground

2. 3 lane road added (includes median, though most of it would be landscaped) behind stores NE of Laurens Rd from Woodruff Rd to Verdae. This would hug the old railroad and would meet at a 4 way stop with the Bonaventure circle. Would would allow mixed use space to develop behind the older businesses.

3. Henderson would be extended from where it currently ends on Laurens to the new road.

4. Market Place Rd would go through to the new road.

5. Old Woodruff Rd sold to developer of Burlington, etc.

6. Kellet Dr. sold to Bradshaw (no need for the city to have this when it just wraps around Bradshaw anyway.

7. I believe the old railway is the planned Bus only route. If this can not be done, wait til it could used for a light rail.

Business Ideas:

1. Encourage Fairway Ford to update building. By Ford dealer rules, Lincoln will probably need to take over either used car building that Fairway owns

2. Encourage Big O to remodel and have heir used car building be remodeled to be a Fiat dealer.

3. Encourage Sitton to reopen their old GMC-Pontiac building just for GMC. They have been using the lot out front and even put GMC back up on the board above.

4. Have Steve White Audi move up to the old BMW dealer. Of the 3 buildings on site...1 for new cars, 1 for used cars, 1 for their e-trons and hybrids. Old Audi dealer becomes VW pre-owned.

5. IKEA takes over old Sam's club.

6. Tata wants Jaguar and LR dealers to merge. Old Saturn dealer would be perfect. With Porsche sales expanding, they need the room of the building. Current LR building might need to go when they finally redo the Pleasetburg-Laurens interchange (old bridge needs to go to allow 3 lanes under it).

Any ideas for you?

I've only heard it referred to as the "Motor Mile". Fairway Ford and Big O are already remodeling.

I've only heard it referred to as the "Motor Mile". Fairway Ford and Big O are already remodeling.

As well as Sitton.

Did they recently just start this? Iv been away all summer.

Did they recently just start this? Iv been away all summer.

Recently.. few weeks.

BTW, IKEA stores are usually 400,000 sq. ft.

I know it probably won't happen, but I think something like Bass Pro Shops would be perfect for Laurens Road. Such a development would be the shot in the arm that corridor means, and make it another hot spot for retail over the next 5-10 years.

I can't believe the Ford dealer and the industrial park is not part of the city...what is holding the city back from annexing these parts!?

They need to do something at the entrance of CarMax. It's a nightmare trying to get across Laurens Rd. only to stop in that terrible median and then pull back out into the other lanes.

They need to do something at the entrance of CarMax. It's a nightmare trying to get across Laurens Rd. only to stop in that terrible median and then pull back out into the other lanes.

I hope the whole area gets fixed when they redo the ramp system. The medians for the entire road should have trees and bushes with established turn lanes.

Jaguar and Land Rover are further pushing to merge all of their dealers to combine the too. Since the LR dealer would likely have to go when the state finally gets around to widening Pleasentburg, the two should move to the old Saturn dealer.