Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nashville_bound

Christchurch - Out of Ashes (looks Nice)

9 posts in this topic

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180971/Christchurch--ashes-Convention-centre-stadium-theatre-complex-planned.html

Essentially given a blank slate, government planners today unveiled a blueprint for New Zealand's oldest city that replaces office towers with green spaces, urban apartments and innovation 'hubs'.

Under the plan, which is hoped will give the city the feel of a college campus, its area will be smaller, with new buildings lower in height and built with better earthquake protection.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180971/Christchurch--ashes-Convention-centre-stadium-theatre-complex-planned.html#ixzz22AOyOpDF

article-2180971-14497BC7000005DC-63_964x475.jpg

article-2180971-14497BCB000005DC-13_964x677.jpg

article-2180971-14497B7D000005DC-371_964x676.jpg

So cool it makes me wish Nashville would be destroyed.

Christchurch may serve as an example to cities that are evolving at a more relaxed pace. I like the statement that it will be more like a college campus.

So cool it makes me wish Nashville would be destroyed.

Christchurch may serve as an example to cities that are evolving at a more relaxed pace. I like the statement that it will be more like a college campus.

Yeah, couldn't have worked out better for New Orleans. :hi:

Yeah, couldn't have worked out better for New Orleans. :hi:

Of course, Christchurch is a much smaller city than New Orleans, and it hasn't been plagued for decades by levels of of chronic mismanagement, poverty and corruption that give Africa's cities a run for their money.

1 person likes this

Of course we don't want it to happen, but tragic events like the artillery bombardment of Paris in 1871 or the IRA bombing of Manchester (England) in1996 are widely felt to have ushered in great improvements.

A woman I heard on the radio today was saying she had been in both London and Tokyo in 1951 (elderly woman) and much of London was still a bombed out wreck while Tokyo was a modern, rebuilt city.

Christchurch seems lucky enough to have visionary leadership. I'm excited about their plans even though I know I'll never go there.

Of course we don't want it to happen, but tragic events like the artillery bombardment of Paris in 1871 or the IRA bombing of Manchester (England) in1996 are widely felt to have ushered in great improvements.

A woman I heard on the radio today was saying she had been in both London and Tokyo in 1951 (elderly woman) and much of London was still a bombed out wreck while Tokyo was a modern, rebuilt city.

Christchurch seems lucky enough to have visionary leadership. I'm excited about their plans even though I know I'll never go there.

I understand the concept...but it seems that it would primarily apply to a nation's largest or most important city. I'm not so sure that our nation would rally around our fair city getting devastated in the same sort of way...especially when we're probably in the mid 20s-mid 30s in relative importance.

Case in point, I mentioned New Orleans. As some mentioned (and I don't mean this to turn political), New Orleans is sort of a cess pool of crime and corruption...I think we would be better off...but New Orleans is certainly a prominent city, especially culturally and historically...and it suffered a catastrophic disaster nearly 7 years ago, and it doesn't appear that anything has really improved.

Memphis lives on borrowed time. One day it will face major destruction from a violent earthquake, much worse than was in Christchurch. It remains to be seen if that will be the end of that city or a Phoenix rising.

What would be a big improvement for Memphis, if it had to be rebuilt?

Memphis lives on borrowed time. One day it will face major destruction from a violent earthquake, much worse than was in Christchurch. It remains to be seen if that will be the end of that city or a Phoenix rising.

What would be a big improvement for Memphis, if it had to be rebuilt?

That would be catastrophic for Memphis. So much of the city is just not built to withstand an earthquake of the magnitude that WILL hit it eventually, and it gives New Orleans a run for its money when it comes to poverty and corruption. I honestly cannot think offhand what a big improvement would be, other than maybe getting some new housing stock.

I do not like to say it, but from everything I can see, Memphis is slowly sliding into obscurity. Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga are where progress is happening in Tennessee (and, frankly, the Southeast in general). Memphis will always have some level of importance with its large airport and associated FedEx presence, its river terminals and significant population, however I predict that it will not experience gains that the rest of the state is seeing.