Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neo

Carolina Mall [Concord]

9 posts in this topic

Probably not a lot of interest, but I just saw a permit request to demolish the parking deck at Carolina Mall (this is the mall in Concord by CMC-NorthEast).

I'm curious if they have plans for expansion or if there was a structural issue that warrantied demolition. I don't frequent the mall, but I don't believe it is in disrepair according to my last visit.

Probably not a lot of interest, but I just saw a permit request to demolish the parking deck at Carolina Mall (this is the mall in Concord by CMC-NorthEast).

I'm curious if they have plans for expansion or if there was a structural issue that warrantied demolition. I don't frequent the mall, but I don't believe it is in disrepair according to my last visit.

That's interesting.....the parking deck is not a very old addition to the mall. I think it was constructed in the late 90's if I am not mistaken.

I haven't been there in about 5 years, but wasn't the mall recently (within 5+ years) renovated? It seemed to be doing fine when I went there- surprisingly due to its closeness to Concord Mills.

I live in Kannapolis and visit this mall occasionally. Speaking only as a consumer and not as one who knows anything regarding parking deck construction, I can say that compared to other mall parking decks I have been in, this one leaks water like a sieve. When it rains, it rains outside the deck and inside.

So they are going to rebuild the parking decks?

No idea...that's the question here. I can only imagine that they're going to either rebuild the deck due to some sort of structural issue (see drumsy's post above) or it's the initial stage for a mall expansion. Demolishing a deck just for the sake of demolishing seems like a waste so I don't see it happening for that reason. I'm not sure if they deck is ever full or not...it doesn't appear very busy when I have it in sight.

Deck wsa built in 97 or 98. Not sure how stores survive here. The mall is in a great location and has been around for 30 years or so? Belk has said for decades it would add a second level and if they did I think it could jumpstart this mall.

Edited by Skyybutter

A new permit request was submitted for a simple "parking addition" where the existing deck is located. I assume this will just be a surface lot. I find it a little strange to demolish a deck that isn't that old just to replace it with parking. I can only assume there was a structural issue with the deck that warranted demolition.

The parking deck is now gone and a large pile of rubble is left in its place:

gallery_1_3_2043965.jpg