Carolina Mall [Concord]

Neo

Probably not a lot of interest, but I just saw a permit request to demolish the parking deck at Carolina Mall (this is the mall in Concord by CMC-NorthEast).

I'm curious if they have plans for expansion or if there was a structural issue that warrantied demolition. I don't frequent the mall, but I don't believe it is in disrepair according to my last visit.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably not a lot of interest, but I just saw a permit request to demolish the parking deck at Carolina Mall (this is the mall in Concord by CMC-NorthEast).

I'm curious if they have plans for expansion or if there was a structural issue that warrantied demolition. I don't frequent the mall, but I don't believe it is in disrepair according to my last visit.

That's interesting.....the parking deck is not a very old addition to the mall. I think it was constructed in the late 90's if I am not mistaken.

I live in Kannapolis and visit this mall occasionally. Speaking only as a consumer and not as one who knows anything regarding parking deck construction, I can say that compared to other mall parking decks I have been in, this one leaks water like a sieve. When it rains, it rains outside the deck and inside.

So they are going to rebuild the parking decks?

No idea...that's the question here. I can only imagine that they're going to either rebuild the deck due to some sort of structural issue (see drumsy's post above) or it's the initial stage for a mall expansion. Demolishing a deck just for the sake of demolishing seems like a waste so I don't see it happening for that reason. I'm not sure if they deck is ever full or not...it doesn't appear very busy when I have it in sight.

• 2 weeks later...

A new permit request was submitted for a simple "parking addition" where the existing deck is located. I assume this will just be a surface lot. I find it a little strange to demolish a deck that isn't that old just to replace it with parking. I can only assume there was a structural issue with the deck that warranted demolition.

• 1 month later...

Archived