This is too hard to even describe: 32 story guitar shaped skyscraper for Nashville.

MTSUBlueraider86

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ESU told me he spoke to the developer a week ago and the City Paper refused to run the article and rendering. Only one media outlet ran it, and the man was basically laughed at. Nice man. Successful business man. Not an architect.

The most hideous proposal since the Marina City Tower 10 years ago proposed for the old thermal site.

Wow. There are no words...

And I see that their complete lack of architectural design skill extends to their web design ability. I (and anyone on here, I imagine), could put together a better site using Wordpress in about five minutes.

Wow. There are no words...

And I see that their complete lack of architectural design skill extends to their web design ability. I (and anyone on here, I imagine), could put together a better site using Wordpress in about five minutes.

That's what I don't understand. The whole thing just looks like some college student's class assignment or something. If this guy was truly serious about this project, why wouldn't he invest enough money into it to at LEAST get a halfway professional website made for it?

That's what I don't understand. The whole thing just looks like some college student's class assignment or something. If this guy was truly serious about this project, why wouldn't he invest enough money into it to at LEAST get a halfway professional website made for it?

College student? Not even that. I don't mean this to just pile on to the developer, but the site really does look like something out of an elementary school assignment. Even the rendering looks terrible. They didn't even take the time to use Paint to crop off the edges of the paper from the scanner. It's not just poorly designed and thought out, it's sloppy.

In the modern era of point-and-click web design, if someone devotes an hour to learning a basic web design toolkit and another two hours to collecting materials and building the page, they can have a pretty good looking site up in a single day for next to nothing.

Friends,

As Blue Raider noted, I talked to the developer last week. He is a very successful businessman who is highly respected in various business fields. He is also very pleasant and well spoken. But he is new to the high-rise development game. What you might not know is that he is using a well-establish architectural firm that has designed some quality buildings, particularly in Atlanta. Obviously, the rendering does not reflect the firm's work. Of course, the developer may have hired an artist (and not the design company) to create the guitar building image. I don't know.

For various reasons, I'll leave my comments at that.

WW

Friends,

As Blue Raider noted, I talked to the developer last week. He is a very successful businessman who is highly respected in various business fields. He is also very pleasant and well spoken. But he is new to the high-rise development game. What you might not know is that he is using a well-establish architectural firm that has designed some quality buildings, particularly in Atlanta. Obviously, the rendering does not reflect the firm's work. Of course, the developer may have hired an artist (and not the design company) to create the guitar building image. I don't know.

For various reasons, I'll leave my comments at that.

WW

I noticed that the firm was a very respected one that has done some impressive work over the years. I was trying to wrap my head around the disconnect between the rendering and their other work...it had to be an artist they commissioned to sketch out the idea.

EDIT: After looking at it again, I couldn't help but be reminded of the dinosaur bank headquarters design Barney voted for in the series "How I Met Your Mother."

Just a preliminary rendering. We ourselves have noted renderings do not do justice all the time. Why all the hate? I really like it. I think it is unique and creative. It would definitely set the skyline apart from anything. Although, I do agree the website is questionable. I guess eye of the beholder, huh?

Edit: I think they just got too excited and hastily put the website together. The rendering, while not what you'd expect from a final drawing, is not that bad. I think it is just to demonstrate the intention. They don't even have land yet so they just plopped it in a skyline view. Although, I do see where you guys could be getting the toothless utopia theme park development vibe from this quick announcement. As far as not running the story, who really cares? That's a bit snobbish IMO. How many other failed projects have the newspapers ran stories about in the past? What's the big deal about this one? Might as well pile on the criticism on the Arena, CMOHOF, and MCC for having musical theme designs too?

Okay. I've slept on it. Here's the deal - this looks idiotic. Bottom line. I wouldn't wish a building like this on any city. Now, if he changes it drastically and uses a guitar as inspiration for the building, like they did with the MCC, I will be more apt to like anything they come up with. Hell, I will be happy there's another 30+ story building in Nashville. As it sits, this is hideous and far too literal.

What I would do to this project is scrap it and make use of a curtain wall, like 2 Alliance Center in Buckhead. Give it the guitar shape and send that into the sky on both sides. But making a actual instrument-building... :sick:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Comparing this horrible, tasteless two minute sketch to the tasteful designs of the Arena, CMOHOF, and MCC simply because they incorporate music themes is not justified.

Yes, we do note that renderings do not do justice- but 99% of the time the rendering makes the actual project look way more appealing than reality. This project, even if he spent 10 minutes on the sketch instead of two, would still look horrible.

Yes, it would set the skyline apart from anything, and is unique, but those characteristics are not good in this situation. We would be laughed at, and deservedly so. How tacky can we get?

If metro can limit TG from building the Encore at 25 stories instead of ~20, I pray that our metro finds a way to kill this project (if they have time earning tax payer's dollars forming 'don't say gay' and 'guns in bars' bills....)

Now, if he changes it drastically and uses a guitar as inspiration for the building, like they did with the MCC, I will be more apt to like anything they come up with. Hell, I will be happy there's another 30+ story building in Nashville. As it sits, this is hideous and far too literal.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Nashville's musical legacy is very important to the city and it makes sense to pay tribute to that in the built environment. The Country Music HOF and Music City Center both do that and IMO it works for those buildings. This guy has just stuck a guitar on a base. Have some subtlelty and understatement and try again.

If this thing is built, I respectfully move out of Nashville and call another place home. I will deny ever living here because I don't want to have someone say:

"Ain't you the guy from that thar city that's got one of dem geetar skyscrapers? crap, that's the coolest thang I have ever saw since the time aunt Mamie fell of a horse and broke her leg. Cool man! Can't wait to take Martha and Jed to go see that thang."

Enough said.

MT

We already have a building with a gigantic cross on it, and another with batman ears. Why don't they evoke a guitar with an outline, curvature at the base, or the crown as opposed to literally making a guitar? That said, have some exposed elevator shafts and they can be the strings.

^^ Because apparently most people have no imagination at all. So this guy wants a guitar building... not a guitar-inspired building, but a 32-story four-by-four to hit people over the head with the fact that it is a guitar because (garleeeeee!) just too many people wouldn't get a building that was inspired by a guitar.

We already have a building with a gigantic cross on it, and another with batman ears. Why don't they evoke a guitar with an outline, curvature at the base, or the crown as opposed to literally making a guitar? That said, have some exposed elevator shafts and they can be the strings.

Or do a side or two with a guitar-neck facade. But it doesn't "have" to look like a guitar.

Archived