This is too hard to even describe: 32 story guitar shaped skyscraper for Nashville.

MTSUBlueraider86

Anyone else notice that they used the view from Love Circle as the background?

And this thing is worse than Museum Plaza, which had a fantastically hideous design. If they are serious about this project, then they should probably invest more than $20 to a high school art student in the rendering.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Maybe if it were set on its side a bit, at an angle, instead of straight up? "

This could fly with a modicum of taste if it was a more prototypical rectangular profile, producing more efficient floor plates, instead of shaping the whole structure as a (chuckle...gufaw) guitar. Instead, picture a guitar-shaped image built into the face of the glass wall, and as you suggested lean it casually to one side as if against one corner of the building, but not centered on the face of the building. The curtain wall could contain a form in the image of a guitar by changing the color or reflectivity of the glass, and the orientation of the mullions. Perhaps only a piece of the neck punches above the roofline and just a portion of the guitar body curves out beyond the exterior skin. The airhole could be the location of a big conference room or atrium.

"Maybe if it were set on its side a bit, at an angle, instead of straight up? "

This could fly with a modicum of taste if it was a more prototypical rectangular profile, producing more efficient floor plates, instead of shaping the whole structure as a (chuckle...gufaw) guitar. Instead, picture a guitar-shaped image built into the face of the glass wall, and as you suggested lean it casually to one side as if against one corner of the building, but not centered on the face of the building. The curtain wall could contain a form in the image of a guitar by changing the color or reflectivity of the glass, and the orientation of the mullions. Perhaps only a piece of the neck punches above the roofline and just a portion of the guitar body curves out beyond the exterior skin. The airhole could be the location of a big conference room or atrium.

Basically what I said in referencing the curtain wall used on 2 Alliance Center in Buckhead. But still. I give this about a 0-1% chance of ever happening.

Shuzilla is right. Here is what he has to do if he builds within the downtown core, or a redevelopment district:

1) Meet MDHA architectural guidelines.

2) Meet with the board of zoning appeals to get height variances.

3) Secure financing.

4) Secure enough office leases.

5) Appeal to the Metro Council when citizens try to fight this.

6) Satisfy the airport authority if the height of this building effects flight patterns like Tony had to do with Signature Tower.

7) Presell the condos.

8) Obtain permits for a restaurant on top since things have changed since 9/11.

9) Finance an express elevator system to go straight from 1-32 and back in case of emergency. That is one reason why the restaurant closed on top of the Sheraton.

In any case this is dead from the beginning.

"Basically what I said in referencing the curtain wall used on 2 Alliance Center in Buckhead. "

Yes, you did. I didn't click on the link. I like that building. Easy to see how making an undulated curve instead of one single curve could read as the profile of the side of an accoustic guitar.

• 2 months later...

Believe it or not they have updated the strings site.

http://stringsnashville.com/

As quirky as Nashville is, there is a sight chance this will get done. Maybe 1 in a hundred. Someone may be crazy enough to lease major space here and it only has 32 residential units. Those would have to be crazy expensive s it would equate to about 3 units per residential floor.

FLOOR # PROPOSED USE RENTABLE SQUARE FOOTAGE (RSF)

1 RETAIL/RESTAURANT 10,000

2 RETAIL/RESTAURANT 10,000

3 PARKING

4 PARKING

5 PARKING

6 OFFICE/STUDIOS 36,190

7 OFFICE 8,150

8 OFFICE 11,920

9 OFFICE 15,900

10 OFFICE 18,200

11 OFFICE 19,120

12 OFFICE 20,020

13 OFFICE 19,120

14 OFFICE 18,200

15 OFFICE 14,800

16 OFFICE 14,800

17 OFFICE 16,300

18 OFFICE 14,700

19 OFFICE 9,900

20 OFFICE 3,100

21 CONDO 3,100

22 CONDO 3,100

23 CONDO 3,100

24 CONDO 3,100

25 CONDO 3,100

26 CONDO 3,100

27 CONDO 3,100

28 CONDO 3,100

29 CONDO 3,100

30 OBSERVATION FLOOR 3,100

31 RESTAURANT/BAR 4,675

32 RESTAURANT 3,875

This could be a really great project if the design was toned down a bit.....or a lot. Hopefully they're working in a rendering that gets inspiration from a guitar while not actually being a guitar.

If this thing is built, those condos would have to be impressive. Glass on 3 or 4 sides at those heights would be something to see.

This could be a really great project if the design was toned down a bit.....or a lot. Hopefully they're working in a rendering that gets inspiration from a guitar while not actually being a guitar.

If this thing is built, those condos would have to be impressive. Glass on 3 or 4 sides at those heights would be something to see.

I agree. The guitar design looks like the very first conceptual sketch on some trash paper that would get pinned on the wall, not something that's rendering worthy. Obviously, its hard for us to take this seriously due to the design, rendering quality, etc.

As it stands, I hope this fails; that might sound bad. Seriously how clumsy must someone be to not only request a design like this, but the firm actually crank something out and put their name on it. I would be embarrassed.

I'm sure this design could be recycled for Branson or Pigeon Forge.

We always want developers to come visit the site, and I hope that the developers of this crap can come over here and read what we're saying and rethink this.

I'm with you on wanting this one to fail. I know that many of us complain about Nashville's architecture not taking risks, but this one is just too out there. I definitely can't see any banks leasing in a building like this.

Plus, their descriptions on the site are pretty child-like: hey, it's going to have restrooms and parking!

Can't they settle for a guitar-shaped relief in one or more of the walls? Even that would be tacky, but feasible. The first six floors are the only parts that make engineering sense without getting crazy expensive. At least they include ground-floor retail and structured parking.

I'm sorry but I had to contact them via their website and ask if they are serious. I mean really???

I'm curious what their response will be.

I mean, I feel bad being so critical of someone who wants to develop a new tower, but this is just horrible design that will mar our skyline and quickly turn into a laughingstock. And if you're trying to sell something, spend more than five minutes on building a website and don't put up amateur renderings that look like someone drew in a high school drafting class.

I don't relate to the concept of designing a building of this size in such a literal depiction. It's just looks stupid to me. For the money it could be a cutting-edge design, something iconic (in a better way) for the Gulch or SoBro. I'd much rather see this team build a more slender, abstract building. A professionally-created rendering isn't going to make this any more appealing. I'd like to see the developer succeed, but with a top-notch design. Maybe they should partner with someone who has better resources and experience. It's hard to take it seriously with the amateur looking website and images.

I'm curious what their response will be.

I mean, I feel bad being so critical of someone who wants to develop a new tower, but this is just horrible design that will mar our skyline and quickly turn into a laughingstock. And if you're trying to sell something, spend more than five minutes on building a website and don't put up amateur renderings that look like someone drew in a high school drafting class.

I have not heard back from them yet which does't surprise me. I tried to be polite as possible in the email but basically wanted to know if they were serious about the design. I might have said it was horrible, but did go on to suggest a design that isn't so literal and that the MCC in my opinion is a good example of trying to convey a guitar in it's design without being so literal. Anyways, I hope that they can build something iconic for Nashville without being so kitschy.

Um, I think it's because the quirky design has gotten him a lot of attention. This is not a serious proposal. Even the drawing is just that... a very crude drawing. This guy doesn't even deserve the pub he has received thus far. Plus, there are very tight height restrictions in almost all of SoBro. KVB will allow tall but there is only one parcel left that is on the market. Everywhere from 1 block south is limited I think to 12 stories or 150'.... certainly not 32 stories. And I'm pretty sure Icon needed a variance to build in the Gulch. The chances of Metro approving this are slim-to-none... and slim just left town.

Just goes to show you though that a nutty proposal will get you noticed anywhere at anytime.

Like I keep saying - guitar shaped curtain wall and I am ALL FOR IT. It's way more subtle, even with glowing neon and LED lights crawling up the building, than this is. I keep playing with the idea in SketchUp (getting a guitar body shape is ridiculous, BTW) and I like the idea. Even if it's inset or outset a few feet.

It reminds me of that gold angel statue at the Schermerhorn that's 'writing' on a CD. Just a bad idea.

Why is that a bad idea? I like that statue okay, although I don't like its Victorian take on what an angel is (i.e. a pretty girl--traditionally angels were powerful, imposing and hermaphrodite). Without the CD I think it's overly "quaint".

To me, the CD is "quaint!" Already nearly obsolete. It should have be something with a more enduring history, like paper at least. That's all I meant.

Why is that a bad idea? I like that statue okay, although I don't like its Victorian take on what an angel is (i.e. a pretty girl--traditionally angels were powerful, imposing and hermaphrodite). Without the CD I think it's overly "quaint".

Archived