BROADWEST (former West End Summit), 36 story Conrad Hilton Hotel/condo tower, 22 story/510,000 sq. ft. office tower, 4 story/125,000 sq. ft. retail/office, 1 acre plaza, 2,500 car garage, $490 million

it's just dave

hah, i've never seen that before. one day we'll get there, i hope i'm around to see it.

eric b

I may have seen it before, but didn't one feel like it was false advertising, surrounded by all those other fancy-looking buildings in the neighborhood, as opposed to the reality of either parking lots or non-descript, squat 1-story buildings ? Did anyone also notice in the animation that all the folks "drawn in" were White ? The only "people of color" was a stock photo of a Black guy in a restaurant and a Black bellhop ! I guess they ain't shootin' for the Antioch demographics. <_<

Looks like the taller building will rise 311 feet from the sidewalk and the other will rise 298 feet. It's hard to read the elevations on sheet 16 and 18, but the sidewalk appears to be at 514' (above sea level) with the crown rising to 825' (asl) and 824.5 (asl) minus 526.5 (asl) on the other.

Yikes! Another 'squatty body', times 2. Such a shame that here is a developer with, not one but, 2 large tenants (and a hotel to boot!), and all Nashville is getting will be two stout "towers". LOL... maybe Nashville really is afraid of height.

I'm more concerned with what this development will do for the street level. Unfortunately it's another car-oriented development in an area which really needs to begin transitioning away from that development pattern. I wish Nashville had some big time developers who weren't such stodgy conservatives stuck in a late 20th c mindset. Looks like west end will get a suburban strip mall driveway and t.he other three streets will get blank walls.

Sounds like the Music City Center discussion all over again. Concrete walls, no street activation, blah, blah, blah....

And your point is...? Street activation and the pedestrian experience aren't important? We can't have an urban design disucssion on an UrbanPlanet discussion forum? Endless whining about Nashville's fear of height and lack of supertalls is fascinating but criticizing buildings for their aesthetics, design and relationship/contribution to the built environment is out of bounds? I understand that you and I don't approach the city in the same way. Our concerns don't really align, etc. But I don't usually come on the board just to criticize your point of view as I'm mature enough to handle that you have one that's different from mine. Maybe you could grow up and extend me the same courtesy.

The back and sides are outdated & disappointing to say the least, but I don't think the front is that bad. The building will be approachable on foot, it will host several restaurants, it's not like it's a quarter mile from the street or has a front lawn or something. Once the street behind it is developed, most likely with apartments, the back of the building will look ridiculous. It's old fashioned and badly thought out.

As for it not living up to some people's dreams of mighty shafts thrusting rigidly skyward, I'm fine with that. I don't think tall buildings are all that great for a city anyway. It's the mid-rise stuff that makes a city. I was in DT Chicago last week and those tall buildings in the loop really are vertical suburbs--once you're inside them you're in another world. And when the people come pouring out of them at the end of the workday you feel like you're going to get jostled off the sidewalk. It's not on a human scale, it doesn't connect people and the streets outside may be crowded but they're not really inviting.

Neither are the outer suburbs on a human scale with their vast subdivisions and the 20 minute drive to the nearest Target-anchored strip mall, down a huge ROW with 4 lanes of speeding cars, gigantic parking lots, etc. The good stuff in Chicago is neighborhoods like Wicker Park, 2 story and occasional midrise buildings, wide sidewalks, main streets well activated with a mix of chains and local businesses, and ready access to public transit. It fits the way people live without being centered around either automobiles or heroic buildings. That's what I want more of.

• Like 3

Then why are you making such a fuss? And when you are finished maybe you could revisit your thoughts on how the MCC was not going to have any of those qualities you desire. Seems like it turned out pretty nice after all....

I'm a realist. I don't dream that we live in Portland, or Paris. I am very proud of the growth and progress being made in the City where I actually live and spend my tax dollars. And I am happy to give my opinions just as you are.

WES is not optimized for street activation, though it does make an effort with the restuarants and shops in the concourse. The vehicle court is just so prominent. If this were being built an another city, the retail would be just as important as the other components, and would line the block on all sides. Nashville doesn't encourage that type of development, and it looks like the Hayes side won't be activated at all unless the hotel addresses it. They are missing opportunities, for sure. I could see an urban Walgreens one one corner, maybe a string of 5 smaller retail spaces on the other side.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Incentives have passed. Saw it on the news last night but wanted to wait for a print story. Still no new rendering, I would imagine that will come about in January on either the SCRI/Parrallon/ASP site.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2012/12/council-gives-final-ok-to-hca-incentives.html

Yes, perhaps it's a 3rd phase.  It can't be long until more specific updated plans are released.  I did read in a related document that the hotel is separate regarding the PILOT funding the office towers received.  

If financing/ approval for the hotel is not available yet, would Palmer just consider that a 3rd phase since the hotel appears to stand alone from the two main towers?

Edited by barakat

• 1 month later...

17 stories... the latest entry in the flat skyline contest.  No mention of the hotel either.  Nashville sorely needs developers with guts.

Well, to be fair, one of the towers is 22 stories. At least the design should be somewhat interesting, and it's location is at a fairly high elevation relative to the rest of midtown.

• Like 1

Well, to be fair, one of the towers is 22 stories. At least the design should be somewhat interesting, and it's location is at a fairly high elevation relative to the rest of midtown.

True. I'm curious about the proportions.  17 and 22 stories isn't bad as long as the towers aren't too wide; which I'm afraid they may look that way. 

Let's be honest, folks. It's Midtown. Most buildings don't crack 200' there. I know the "original" plan called for something like a 400' tower, but were any of you really expecting a true skyscraper here? 

I'd be more happy if they worked on making the design more 2010s than late 90s-ish. 

And I think the omission of the hotel doesn't necessarily mean it isn't coming. 

The fact HCA signed the lease and the potential hotel doesn't mean anything in terms of the latter not being mentioned in above linked press release. They're just the lead tenant(s) and mentioning the hotel component would've been useless information really. We'vee seen the link to the apparent site plan or whatever and it clearly showed a third building labeled "HOTEL." I really wouldn't get so concerned over it's "omission" because it serves not purpose in a lease agreement announcement.